Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 09:15 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,231,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Vic, I agree.

After reading the thread, it is definitely a fantasy thread.
The suggestion by mbmouse that tri cities be the " hub" topped it all.

I believe the OP's intent was it to be a fantasy thread ( like " what if you won the lottery" )
In both cases, yes, it is possible------------but odds are it is highly unlikely it would ever happen.
Hey, dreams are good. If people don't dream of what could be, nothing would get done.
Your right, it won't happen any time soon, or if at all, but one can still wish....just like wishing I would win the lottery.
High speed or slow, it would still be nice to pick up an Amtrak somewhere over here in the east. I believe Atlanta is the closest place? I know this is due to the Appalachian range, it is tough and expensive to get tracks anywhere in the mountains. However I like traveling by train, so I can dream.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 11:59 AM

1,452 posts, read 3,176,695 times
Curious about why this thread got moved since it was relative to the TRI...?? It did seem quite appropriate to our NE TN area - although it also included some discussion about other areas, too. Some folks don't always have the time or inclination to visit the 'Tennessee' forum. It's nice to keep our regional discussions about potential progress under one roof.

Old 08-21-2009, 05:07 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,029,539 times
Here's the "Vision" for America's High Speed Rail:

http://www.fra.dot.gov/Downloads/RRdev/hsrmap-lv.pdf

Notice how it goes all around Tennessee, just touching Memphis. That's what happens when you don't vote for the winning team!

IT'S A JOKE, BY THE WAY.

I don't make political jokes or try not to talk about politics, but I couldn't resist. It's going through other states where Obama lost so it obviously has nothing to do with it.

In all seriousness, for the life of me, I cannot see why it doesn't shoot straight from the Midwest through TN and hookup in Atlanta. Weird.

Old 08-22-2009, 11:13 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,231,485 times
Mountains and hills are tough to break ground to lay tracks straight enough to be safe for a fast moving train. I believe it comes down to terrain and population number also.

Old 08-22-2009, 05:12 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,345,333 times
I could see using the I-75 -- I-40 --- I-24.. Corridor Chattanooga >>> Knoxville >> Nashville >>> Memphis >> Chattanooga

Old 08-22-2009, 05:34 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,176,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman313 View Post
I could see using the I-75 -- I-40 --- I-24.. Corridor Chattanooga >>> Knoxville >> Nashville >>> Memphis >> Chattanooga
I like that - as long as it starts in the Tri-Cities! I've always looked at that big open space between the interstate four-lanes and wondered why that couldn't be incorporated somehow into high speed rail.. Of course when you approach a bridge you'd have to go up -- maybe too high up for it to work.. It's been so long since I've been up north I can't remember how the track locations work there - but they do.
I guess where there's a will there's a way but if our elected officials aren't thinking along these same lines, nada will happen. Any TN legislators supportive of this idea?

Old 08-23-2009, 01:38 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,345,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahSal View Post
I like that - as long as it starts in the Tri-Cities! I've always looked at that big open space between the interstate four-lanes and wondered why that couldn't be incorporated somehow into high speed rail.. Of course when you approach a bridge you'd have to go up -- maybe too high up for it to work.. It's been so long since I've been up north I can't remember how the track locations work there - but they do.
I guess where there's a will there's a way but if our elected officials aren't thinking along these same lines, nada will happen. Any TN legislators supportive of this idea?
Just as long as you had the clearance over the bridge you came to all the rest of the rail would be level... they would keep a constance height where you would not be going up and down... the only thing would be a mountain or very large hill... then they would most likely go around miles before...or a body of water... The medium strip is basically unused area.... why not use it for your support columns for the rail... or maglev train

Old 08-23-2009, 04:02 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,106,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahSal View Post

--"I guess if there's a will, there's a way"--

first, maybe a-- way-- to pay for it cuz there sure wouldn't be enough riders to even pay for the operating cost.

TN would need a new State Income tax with a high portion dedicated to it to pay for it.

I doubt that is what the people would want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee