Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 09:36 PM

634 posts, read 1,419,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyse View Post
Wait just a sec. Gasoline CAN ignite by a lit cigarette, if the oxygen content is correct. This has been proven on Mythbusters. Simply throwing a lit cig on a pool of gas wont lite, but if the breeze hits the ember or you puff on it with fumes around it WILL IGNITE. As im sure you know its not the same with kerosene or diesel which is less volatile.

But lets just say for a minute that youre right and theres limited chance that the fumes will explode, WHY TAKE THE CHANCE!!!??? Youre idea of these guys "knowing" the chance is nill is like a drunk driver knowing the chance is nill that they wont kill anyone on the drive from the bar. Maybe they wont hit someone the first time, or maybe even the second, or maybe they get away with it several times, but why would you take the chance!!!?? Just because you are so arrogant that you "know" nothing will happen?

Anyway, maybe there should be laws against this if not already. Apparently common sense and a plastard sign isnt enough.

Let me tell you alittle secret. You may never pull into another gas station again if it worries you that bad.

OK, lets say you are pumping gas into your car and the wind is blowing 'just right', and a car or motorcylce pulls upto the pump beside you. Until they stop,and turn the key off, their engine is running. There are alot of engines out there that have a plugwire or two that are arking fire with age and close to metal, and you don't even know it.There are many engines with manifold gaskets leaking and spitting fire at the exaust ports in open air. Is your car brand new and no arking plugwires or leaking manifold gaskets? If not, you may wanna shut off your engine and push your car to the pump as the odds are just as great that they'll ignite the fumes.A while back, someone drove an automobile to close to a natural gas leak not to far from here and the spark from his ignition system caused a big 'boom' that blazed pretty big. Folks don't think anything about their automobiles being a risk starting up at a station as well. Maybe we should all start pushing our cars through the filling station lines and 'run like hell' if someone fails to shut off their engine before rolling upto the pumps. If the man upstairs calls your number, it ain't gonna matter where your at, how carefull you are, or even in a guarded room ... he's gonna collect on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 09:59 PM

298 posts, read 1,089,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS-1080 View Post
Let me tell you alittle secret. You may never pull into another gas station again if it worries you that bad.

OK, lets say you are pumping gas into your car and the wind is blowing 'just right', and a car or motorcylce pulls upto the pump beside you. Until they stop,and turn the key off, their engine is running. There are alot of engines out there that have a plugwire or two that are arking fire with age and close to metal, and you don't even know it.There are many engines with manifold gaskets leaking and spitting fire at the exaust ports in open air. Is your car brand new and no arking plugwires or leaking manifold gaskets? If not, you may wanna shut off your engine and push your car to the pump as the odds are just as great that they'll ignite the fumes.A while back, someone drove an automobile to close to a natural gas leak not to far from here and the spark from his ignition system caused a big 'boom' that blazed pretty big. Folks don't think anything about their automobiles being a risk starting up at a station as well. Maybe we should all start pushing our cars through the filling station lines and 'run like hell' if someone fails to shut off their engine before rolling upto the pumps. If the man upstairs calls your number, it ain't gonna matter where your at, how carefull you are, or even in a guarded room ... he's gonna collect on it.
Well thats why theres another sign that says, "Turn you car engine off" and then theres another that tells you to remove the portable fuel tanks before filling and another to dischage the static.

Do you not aggree with these either, since the man upstairs dictates when your number is called?

Maybe I should just live recklessly and have faith right?

Old 08-29-2009, 01:12 AM

634 posts, read 1,419,409 times
Quote:
Well thats why theres another sign that says, "Turn you car engine off" and then theres another that tells you to remove the portable fuel tanks before filling and another to dischage the static.

Do you not aggree with these either, since the man upstairs dictates when your number is called?

Maybe I should just live recklessly and have faith right?

Well we must live in another wolrd in my neck of the woods because I have not seen two of those signs at our station. I've always pulled in and he'll walk out to my truck and reach into the truck bed with the hose and fill my 5 gallon jugs where ever they are sitting back there, while the guy is sometimes smoking. The next town up has a no smoking sign, but I've not seen antyhing about discharging static or removing your portable jugs there either.Just a sticker with a state troopers picture saying if you drive off without paying, you'll lose your DL's. Maybe it's because our pumps came in on the Mayflower, or maybe we still have so few transplants in our neck of the woods that we don't have outsiders going ape-sheet over everything thats done differently elsewhere.

Far as living recklessly, well, I didn't teach my kids to go jump off a cliff or nothin', but yes, I did teach them to have faith, race atv's & dirtbikes, use chainsaws to cut cedar posts & firewood to sell, and to get out in a hay or baccer field so they can buy their own gas and buy their own parts for them and to fix any repair on them their own self, and to ride their horses like the wind and to mend fences on our farm to keep them from getting out if a tree falls on it and basic auto repair in the shop so they don't end up like others depending on guys like me charging them to keep theirs running when they buy their own car with money they save ( see cutting cedar, firewood, hayfield or baccer field ),and to build a barn or shed, grow a garden, hunt, pluck a chicken or wild turkey and most importantly to NEVER ask the government for a penny, never to use drugs,and so on. My oldest is not yet 16, but both have the above pretty well covered ... and one of 'em is a girl that can shoot about as good as good ole dad these days. From the day they could walk I lettem follow me and never went anywheres they couldn't go with me and as they grew older I started teaching them more and more about everything I do myself so they'd know just what it takes to make it in life without asking a soul for anything rather than leave them with a sitter where they'd grown up dumb as a rock and have to spend their hard earned money to pay others to do everything for them including having to pay someone to mow their grass because they must live at work because they owe the bank or credit card company so much money for things they wanted now but didn't wanna save up for. I believe in Christmas and birthdays as gift giving times, but other than that, I taught them they are intitled to nothing they don't earn.They at least have a few things to fall back on to survive if they don't land a good job after collage in this mess we're in.

I don't reckon I've taught 'em wrong because they seem to like alot of things, but don't have to ask anyone to get it for 'em. If they want something, they get out there and get busy and buy it when they put enough money together. Ain't that how everybody done it back in the day .. when the country was not up to it's eyeballs in dept with folks expecting a handout from the bank for this that and the other that they cannot repay, or just sitting on the porch with car keys in hand waiting for the mailman to pull up and leave that free check in the mailbox that the taxpayers have to foot out? It's ok, it don't really bother me to be called a right-wing som-beech

But no, I didn't teach them it's ok to jump off a cliff or light a match close to gasoline ( they have enough common sense to know better than that ) ,nor do it myself as something of that nature really would be living recklessly and tempting faith compaired to the things we do in our daily lives.

But I'll just leave it that because folks in different places are set in their ways differently from one place to another, and it's not my thread to kill. Ya'll carry on folks. .< thumbs-up >

Last edited by RS-1080; 08-29-2009 at 01:59 AM..

Old 08-29-2009, 08:08 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,312,828 times
Pssst....folks...just a reminder that we need to keep all threads in the TN forums about TN. Yes this is an issue that came up while someone was in TN but still, we need to keep it on topic of TN or it will need to be moved or closed.
Thank you.

Old 08-29-2009, 10:03 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,214,050 times
Quote:
I dont think there is a law being broken
I thought it was a law? I know someone that works at a supermarket with a gas station and she said if someone is smoking or on the phone, she gets on the speaker and tells them to stop, or she wont turn the pumps on!

Old 08-30-2009, 12:22 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
Funny - every time I drive up to Chattanooga or to my sister in the Pigeon Forge area, I see people smoking and in some cases ALSO talking on their cell phones while pumping gas. Supposedly the cell phone thing is hit or miss as to who thinks it's dangerous, but in this case, it seemed to be a legit risk. Here in Atlanta they also have "do not discharge firearms" on a sticker or two in the "better" neighborhoods. I haven't seen anyone loading a gun (yet) in Chattanooga or Pigeon Forge yet at least. LOL

I can't help it - I'm a safety nut. When I pump gas, I don't use the cell, don't smoke (ok, that's easy, I don't smoke anyway), and in the winter I touch metal to "discharge" static before pumping gas. What can I say - but I haven't ignited yet, either.

Old 08-30-2009, 12:05 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS-1080 View Post
Well we must live in another wolrd in my neck of the woods because I have not seen two of those signs at our station. I've always pulled in and he'll walk out to my truck and reach into the truck bed with the hose and fill my 5 gallon jugs where ever they are sitting back there, while the guy is sometimes smoking. The next town up has a no smoking sign, but I've not seen antyhing about discharging static or removing your portable jugs there either.Just a sticker with a state troopers picture saying if you drive off without paying, you'll lose your DL's. Maybe it's because our pumps came in on the Mayflower, or maybe we still have so few transplants in our neck of the woods that we don't have outsiders going ape-sheet over everything thats done differently elsewhere.

Far as living recklessly, well, I didn't teach my kids to go jump off a cliff or nothin', but yes, I did teach them to have faith, race atv's & dirtbikes, use chainsaws to cut cedar posts & firewood to sell, and to get out in a hay or baccer field so they can buy their own gas and buy their own parts for them and to fix any repair on them their own self, and to ride their horses like the wind and to mend fences on our farm to keep them from getting out if a tree falls on it and basic auto repair in the shop so they don't end up like others depending on guys like me charging them to keep theirs running when they buy their own car with money they save ( see cutting cedar, firewood, hayfield or baccer field ),and to build a barn or shed, grow a garden, hunt, pluck a chicken or wild turkey and most importantly to NEVER ask the government for a penny, never to use drugs,and so on. My oldest is not yet 16, but both have the above pretty well covered ... and one of 'em is a girl that can shoot about as good as good ole dad these days. From the day they could walk I lettem follow me and never went anywheres they couldn't go with me and as they grew older I started teaching them more and more about everything I do myself so they'd know just what it takes to make it in life without asking a soul for anything rather than leave them with a sitter where they'd grown up dumb as a rock and have to spend their hard earned money to pay others to do everything for them including having to pay someone to mow their grass because they must live at work because they owe the bank or credit card company so much money for things they wanted now but didn't wanna save up for. I believe in Christmas and birthdays as gift giving times, but other than that, I taught them they are intitled to nothing they don't earn.They at least have a few things to fall back on to survive if they don't land a good job after collage in this mess we're in.

I don't reckon I've taught 'em wrong because they seem to like alot of things, but don't have to ask anyone to get it for 'em. If they want something, they get out there and get busy and buy it when they put enough money together. Ain't that how everybody done it back in the day .. when the country was not up to it's eyeballs in dept with folks expecting a handout from the bank for this that and the other that they cannot repay, or just sitting on the porch with car keys in hand waiting for the mailman to pull up and leave that free check in the mailbox that the taxpayers have to foot out? It's ok, it don't really bother me to be called a right-wing som-beech

But no, I didn't teach them it's ok to jump off a cliff or light a match close to gasoline ( they have enough common sense to know better than that ) ,nor do it myself as something of that nature really would be living recklessly and tempting faith compaired to the things we do in our daily lives.

But I'll just leave it that because folks in different places are set in their ways differently from one place to another, and it's not my thread to kill. Ya'll carry on folks. .< thumbs-up >
Good for you. I'm a fully-assimilated left-wing Yankee who knows enough to go with the flow and shut my mouth or move out of Tennessee.

Oh, and I'm wondering if I should go out to our Tennessee backyard and tell my husband to put that cigarette out. Right now - no kidding - he's under a customer's beautiful Ford pickup, cigarette butt hanging out of his mouth. He's been in the business, full-time, for twenty years but who knows, right? Thank goodness he's insured until the end of September!

Note to MBMOUSE: I hear ya sista. I just started taking Chantix.

Old 08-30-2009, 02:21 PM

851 posts, read 2,457,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Walk up behind them, clap your hands and yell BOOM!

I haven't noticed that here (FL) but I will start looking around more before I pick a pump. Is that something new that you have noticed in TN?

Hope you all have a great week. And be safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee