U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2007, 01:22 PM

14,506 posts, read 23,184,639 times

Advertisements

It depends on the filtering system, I guess but how does one find out about quality of drinking water?. Since we moved here I did notice sometimes the water has a slight coppery smell, especially if I wash dishes- I can smell the copper/metallic smell on my hands. I read that all water has trace elements. But there was also some news on Sunday about Mercury issues in the Watauga river, so I was wondering if anyone had more detailed knowledge.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2007, 01:36 PM

6,290 posts, read 20,550,416 times
Your water pipes are probably copper. How old is the house?

You might contact your local health department. I think sometimes they will do a test of water quality. Possibly the water utility will if you report a problem.

Has anyone else in the neighborhood noticed a problem?

Old 04-30-2007, 01:40 PM

Actually I think others have mentioned it. we had new copper pipe put in because they used too narrow pipe (5/8) when the house was built. Lovely to find out after it needs to be replaced!.

Old 04-30-2007, 01:45 PM

You said you noticed it when the dishwasher was run; do you notice it more if the hot water is turned all the way over and ran for a while?

Have you drained the water heater lately?

Old 04-30-2007, 01:50 PM

no- how do you do that?- and the copper taste was in another place we first rented so maybe its the water in general. Hopefully its not a health hazard-

Old 04-30-2007, 01:54 PM

Where is the water heater? Basement or first floor? Do you have a basement?

You might be able to drain the water heater directly. Sometime they put a metal "pan" underneath the water heater and the pan has a hole in the bottom of it. More common is to hook a garden hose to the drain at the bottom of the heater, turn off the water line coming into the heater, then open the bottom drain. Sometimes all sort of gunk (sediment) comes out if the heater hasn't been drained for a while. You don't have to drain all the water out; just until the water runs clear.

Old 04-30-2007, 02:02 PM

yes we have a basement- so all the sediment in the water heater is what causes that? The water heater is in the basement. Its relatively new.

Old 04-30-2007, 02:05 PM

If the WH is new, that's probably not it. Did you notice this coppery taste before you put in the new water heater or pipes? Did you notice soon after?

Are the pipe relatively new?

Old 04-30-2007, 02:28 PM

3,454 posts, read 6,437,402 times
Is it city water, or a well? If it's a well, the water dept can't help you, I don't think...

I wouldn't worry about it honestly, but if there have been problems I imagine it's always a good idea to check the water.

Here in the land of environmental paranoia, there are labs (I think it's actually called a "dairy lab") where they take a water sample and test it. Here, it's required when you buy a house. Seems to me like it cost a couple hundred bucks, not that much.

I've had two homes with a strong metallic taste/smell and it was just iron in the water. Nothing unhealthy (actually quite the contrary), but just gross tasting. The toilets had rusty rings around them and there were rust stains in sink drains, etc.

In our current house we have a bit of a metallic taste but again, it's just minerals in the water that occur naturally. It's not worth getting a water softener to eliminate a little bit of metal taste.

As for the pipes, I don't recall 5/8 being outlandishly small...I'm pretty sure we just used 3/4" pipes in our new house and I'm also pretty sure that was an upgrade from (I think) 1/2".

If it's the pipes, i would think your water will taste fairly normal after a minute or two of running.

If it's the water heater, your hot water would taste bad and the cold would taste fine.

I think, anyway. That's the extent of my plumbing knowledge!

Good luck!

Old 04-30-2007, 03:01 PM

Thanks bbkaren and alley-
That last part makes sense- I live in city limits, at least- so I know they have some regulation. It does taste like coopper though (yuck) and before we bought a house the apt rental had the same copper-taste water. the cold water tastes like you put pennies in the glass (not kidding!)

Also- the basement bath has copper stains around the shower drain- some amateur plumber said its the pipes- that they could be clooged as well! (We have alot of trees) no way am I tearing a tree down!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee