U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 12:03 PM

22,533 posts, read 46,060,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo Bloom View Post
And if you have a hankering for the city, Knoxville is just a short 20-30 minute drive. They are having a Rossini Festival (opera) this coming week, talk about culture!
Uh-oh. The Rossini Festival was this PAST weekend. You missed it!

Old 05-15-2007, 07:14 PM

2,063 posts, read 6,239,867 times
Just wanted to thank everyone who PM'd as well as replied here. The process continues and we hope to be visiting again real soon. Milo thanks for the upbeat report on Maryville, hiking and good music - sounds good to me!

I've got another question. Someone- Floridacracker- posted links to the opposition to the possible construction in an area called Corridor K and I3.

http://www.stopi3.org/

http://americanhiking.chattablogs.co...es/047947.html

Is it really true that they will construct an interstate thru or near Maryville???? It is hard to judge real from scare and how likely this is to occur. Since we were quite taken with some of the area we saw in and around Maryville (DS and DH both like the idea of taking motorcycle rides along the "tail of the dragon" aka rte 129) this is a could be big concern for us. Nothing like buying a home out in the country and having the city brought to you.

I'm hoping to get a feel about how real the issue is, and if I might want to think twice about the town. Of course we will be looking at points further north as suggested, but we'd like to make sure we are being "real" about our long distance search.

Old 08-05-2007, 12:37 PM

1 posts, read 3,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J&Em View Post
Hi I have been lurking in the forums for a while and finally had my chance to see some of Tennessee for myself last weekend. We loved half of what we saw and are feeling Tennessee might be the place for us to move to.

Hubby and I are intending to be relatively early retirees sometime next year and have begun looking for a place to call home. Our son is AF bound as soon as he finishes college and we have no family to tie us to our current address.

We began in a semi rural/suburban town because of job offers nearly 30 years ago and have watched it become much too suburban/urban. We both want a place with space and are not looking for the usual retiree amenities (ie golf, "culture" and shopping) but would like places to hike, ride motorcycles (hubby) and star gaze without city lights.

We loved what we saw of Maryville, Greeneville and some of the points between them. If we can swing a return trip soon we'd like to seriously begin looking into a realtor and all the stuff that goes with purchasing a house.

I'd love to hear the pros and cons about either place and places that are similar, that we might have missed. We do know that we would like some acreage and a view of the mountains would be gravy! We found one home through Realtor.com near Greeneville that fit the bill only to actually see it and find it had been abandoned in mid-build and so overpriced for the fixing that would be needed we couldn't make a serious offer. So we also would need some recommendations of good Realtors who could work with long range buyers to line up some possibilities.

Em
Your situation and wants and likes are almost identical my wife and I. We are planning on retiring next June. We have yet to visit TN but will be doing so next July/August with a 2nd trip in JAnuary/February to get a feel for the climate. My wife does have a relative in Seiverville that has invited us to spend some time with them. That will help us tremendously in finding our way around. Have you made a decision on where to live? Via the internet, we have been focusing on Morristown, Greeneville, Maryville.

Old 08-05-2007, 01:28 PM

14,930 posts, read 26,631,362 times
Quote:

Is it really true that they will construct an interstate thru or near Maryville???? It is hard to judge real from scare and how likely this is to occur. Since we were quite taken with some of the area we saw in and around Maryville (DS and DH both like the idea of taking motorcycle rides along the "tail of the dragon" aka rte 129) this is a could be big concern for us. Nothing like buying a home out in the country and having the city brought to you.

I'm hoping to get a feel about how real the issue is, and if I might want to think twice about the town. Of course we will be looking at points further north as suggested, but we'd like to make sure we are being "real" about our long distance search.
TDOT wants to extend the Pellissippi Parkway (Interstate 140). Progress and change are tough pills to swallow when you are losing farmland and greenspace. On the other hand, the traffic is getting so out of hand through Maryville and Alcoa that relief is needed.

News Release - Tennessee Department of Transportation

Citizens Against Pellissippi Parkway Extension

Be careful where you purchase land and/or homes. No offense to real estate agents, but it is best to get in with a local resident (non-realtor) or two that will give you the truth. There is a neighborhood in Maryville that was gorgeous, gorgeous homes and I couldn't figure out why properties were on the market so often within the past year. I asked realtor after realtor and got no answer except polite, nonsensical replies. I recently found out why. The nice, cul-de-sac neighborhood that has large lots with the one way in and one way out recently had a farm beside it turned into a development and the city allowed the streets to hook up and the $400,000 and up homes are now part of a neighborhood with $200K homes, and tons of them, all one on top of the other. It wasn't illegal what was wrong, it was just the good ole boy system. Buyer beware anywhere and everywhere.

There is no active construction On P. Parkway that I can see and I am not really sure where the project is at the moment; I believe it is all tied up in court.

Old 08-05-2007, 02:18 PM

Hi Stape, nice to know we aren't alone on our "trip" so to speak. We haven't decided, yet. We have family down south, and know people near Nashville, but no one close by in the parts of TN we like, so we have just made extra long weekend visits so far to try and rule in (or out) certain areas. We have mixed feeling about Maryville but in general felt we would adapt best there when we compared it to other towns in the area. We hit some big time traffic a few times and are concerned about how much more development might still be occurring and where it might be. We have also had some suggestions to look in and around the TriCities area further north, which we had done earlier but must have missed something from all the recommendations. At this time we have come to the conclusion that we may not find the right thing until we actually rent a place to live for a while and get the feel of the different communities. We hope to get in one more trip this year and check out areas around TriCities more closely as well, but assume we won't find "home" for a while yet. We want to stay close to the mountains, if at all possible, for seasons, and hiking, and (especially for hubby and son) a place to roam on the motorcycle.

SmokyMtnGal you are right! One of the reasons we first posted here was that we wanted honest input from locals rather than real estate agents. Even honest and good agents can be misleading. If you don't ask the right question you could miss something by omission rather than an outright lie. We did ask about road construction with the agent we used. She was very helpful in many ways but seemed to hesitate before telling us about the extension and where it was slated to go... little wonder 2 of the homes she had just taken us to were pretty close to the most likely route! She seemed to be aware of only half the loop, too. Thanks to your post I finally found a map that shows the whole thing and it covers some of the areas we thought might be a good place to call home! We have both had enough of "surprise" construction close to home where we are so we intend to do a lot of looking around before we plunk down even a dime on real estate.

If you think of anything else please PM or post... I'll try and check back every now and then!!

Old 08-25-2007, 07:01 PM

48 posts, read 112,198 times
Smile Greeneville area for me.

Quote:
Hi I have been lurking in the forums for a while and finally had my chance to see some of Tennessee for myself last weekend. We loved half of what we saw and are feeling Tennessee might be the place for us to move to.

Hubby and I are intending to be relatively early retirees sometime next year and have begun looking for a place to call home. Our son is AF bound as soon as he finishes college and we have no family to tie us to our current address.

We began in a semi rural/suburban town because of job offers nearly 30 years ago and have watched it become much too suburban/urban. We both want a place with space and are not looking for the usual retiree amenities (ie golf, "culture" and shopping) but would like places to hike, ride motorcycles (hubby) and star gaze without city lights.

We loved what we saw of Maryville, Greeneville and some of the points between them. If we can swing a return trip soon we'd like to seriously begin looking into a realtor and all the stuff that goes with purchasing a house.

I'd love to hear the pros and cons about either place and places that are similar, that we might have missed. We do know that we would like some acreage and a view of the mountains would be gravy! We found one home through Realtor.com near Greeneville that fit the bill only to actually see it and find it had been abandoned in mid-build and so overpriced for the fixing that would be needed we couldn't make a serious offer. So we also would need some recommendations of good Realtors who could work with long range buyers to line up some possibilities.

Em
My wife and I are looking to escape the rat race Florida has become...I wanted to live in a rural are and my wife wanted to be within striking distance of lifes basic ammenities like wal-mart, grocery stores, some shopping and etc..
We found our place in Greene county outside of Greeneville. While Greeneville does not have a shopping mall that I know of it does have a wal-mart, lowe's, good restaurants, a nice downtown and historical area. They have a brand new multi-cinema movie complex and a Community College as well as a college that I think is religion based called Tusculum.

As far as malls go, There are a few in the tri-cities area that are within easy driving distance. When we first explored the area I intentionally took my wife to the mall at Johnson City just so I could show her that we are not way out in the boonies even though we have 18.5 acres in a town with a population of 504.

There is a lot of hiking, fishing, hunting and other outdoors type stuff to do there. Cherokee National Forest is close by and there are trails that lead to nice waterfalls and etc..

I think the Greeneville area is a little piece of heaven.

I also have a good realtor in the area. If you want her information let me know by private message..

Old 08-26-2007, 10:34 AM

Thanks so much for your input. We haven't had many chances to go back since posting. We have a Realtor who is sending us updates every so often based on a list we gave her. If we feel we are not getting the help we need if we decide on Greeneville we certainly will be checking back to see how you feel about your Realtor and ask for the info! Thanks very much for the offer. We did not go through Greeneville in great depth so I am sure we missed a lot.

We had hoped to be able to go through on our way back from a family reunion in NC but ended up skipping it. We are hoping to get in one more trip to see the area from Mountain City through to Greeneville a little more closely. The longer we have been looking the more it seems smart to actually move down to a rented condo or apartment before actually selecting the town we will buy a home in. Good luck in your move.

Old 08-28-2007, 09:30 AM

113 posts, read 293,658 times
Default Living in Maryville-giving advice

this is about all of the Relocation threads. Experiences in Maryville after 25 months for those seeking (will send a second note on the advice we need to move ourselves):

We have been living on the south side of the city, becomes quickly rural...It has grown incredibly in that time...we don't feel out of place anymore because now there is such a mix(came from Maryland, near Annapolis, near the Chesapeake Bay: pretty cosmopolitan even in outlying areas) We came to get in place before retirement in a few years, lower costs, warmer winters. There are always mountains to see in Maryville-grand, and it is about 35 minutes to Knoxville if the traffic is moving well...the hardest part about traveling now is within Maryville or the county (Blount) because it is getting pretty crowded plus you share the same roads with slow moving construction equipment (buiding new shopping areas). There are many new folks from Florida and the Mid west. We live near the Dragon (motorcycles)...at this time of year there are bikers from all over. The Dragon in one road...route 129 and there it can be pretty dangerous...the rest of the roads are okay from colliding with a a (motor) bike...except for young teenages on some form of motorcycle...they can get a license to drive them somewhere around 14...which is insane. Lots of roads as you fan out of the city are narrow and very whinding...you don't take your eyes off of the road without extreme caution...a quick way to crash and burn. You just learn quickly to keep good control of your car and watch that cell phone stuff.

Homes...anything you want. There are lovely Craftsman homes and bungalows in better shape than most places, plenty of ranch and too much new but gorgeous, plus townhomes. Great prices compared to the Maryland/DC/Northern Va areas. Our new house would have cost 400K on wonderul bedroom community Kent Island, Md....cost us under 150K. A lot of homes built on slopes-beware of rain. Different standards-they put cut up trees in the ground in new construction sites, a lot of fill dirt because of the "slopes". There are not a lot of regulations here.

This location is within 50 minutes of Dollywood, closer for more rural, or more urban. Lots of beautiful contryside (baby boomers enjoy that).

The teens are more polite here than many places--they make eye contact and engage in conversation. Lots of denominational (for the most part) churches, very few bars. One TJMaxx and Tuesday Morning and need more of these stores. But if you go to Knoxville - it is a shoppers heaven...like overflowing. The lack of cultural diversity is pretty noticable.

Jobs-we came too early-best to wait til retirement if that is what you are shooting for...we lost a lot of the saving we had adjusting to the huge difference in the job market. I am retired civil service and too far back to do that if there was that much of an opportunity which there is not and my husband is an auto technician...not a grease monkey. People don't see car techs/master mechanics as anybody here. They are below factory workers which is where most unskilled and skilled blue collar (and others who cannot find jobs) go to work. My husband made close to 1/3 rd of his former pay here the first 2 years. We are getting a little better. The middle class will come up in a few more years. Some big business here is noticeably "different"...the owners take off the top and don't put it back into the company...also an American car mechanic gets about 1/8th the labor rate...that is not nice and gives you an idea. Yet, cars are important here...people love them and street rods, antique cars abound. Music is wonderful here...the state is overwhelming with talent. Blue Grass, Country, Rock and Roll, Gospel, old rhythm and blues, jazz....huge. Elvis is still a hunka burnin' love here.

Very humid this summer. I haven't seen any comments on the quality of air...not really too good as in many Southern cities-researched that a little too late. Just because you have not had an allergy problem in the past doesn't mean it won't hit you hard here. Maybe the body gets more acclimated in time...the second year has been the worst. For this reason thinking about Crossville for us...you can quickly feel the difference in air quality there. But, we are a little scard of tornadoes (?yesno?)

Cost of living...there was a big trend to say it is low and that equalized the job market. Nah. Depends on the job, etc. The sales tax is very high so if you are a shopper-look out. I don't think that equalizes with the "No state income tax and would love to be proven wrong. We owed a lot of tax in 06 because we didn't have the high mortgage interest and my husband took such a dive in wages. Again-there is a big adjustment from the DC suburbs.

Grocery stores...some think Kroegers is high priced but not me...great variety, I find deals there all the time and organic and health food items. Some of the other stores are okay but could be cleaned up-literally. Walmart is "ok". I go because it is close, however, on food I notice I can beat there prices elsewhere. I think there is a factor of trucking into the foothills that affects the cost of food and the freshness.

There is a trailer park behind our half acre property: behind brush and behind an expensive privacy fence we put up...it is hurting selling our house...there are mixes of homes like this, short of housing developments, and we didn't think it mattered so much but the people looking at our home to buy it are mainly from Florida, Texas, as opposed to locals. We were going to move away because of my husband's job, the air quality for me (health issues) and because we miss Big Water...but we are flexible still...we do like a whole lot about living here. It is a great learning experience to move away from the shelter of the Wash DC suburbs where we always had it pretty nice and easier. Jobs were better, development of business is pretty high level there and this is real America- the good and the bad,,, the hypocrits, oh yeah, and the sweet folk...it is all here. Hope this helps. Sorry for the length.

Old 08-29-2007, 12:57 PM

119 posts, read 354,281 times
Default Cookeville?

Quote:
Thanks, we did, very briefly on our way north again . We went thru Rogersville and a portion of Kingsport on our way back to I-81. We didn't see much "mountain" terrain so we obviously missed a lot.

I think we both have a hankering for being near but not in the mountains, outside of, but not really really far away from, a small city/town. We have had enough of things being built up around us and would like to move to where it will stay a bit rural for a while longer. Kingsport and the Tri-cities area struck us as looking like it was growing much as the area we are trying to escape is.

I'll take any and all suggestions for study.
You sound as though you want the same things I do. I absolutely ADORE the mountain views, but I've lived in Florida too long to want my driveway to be
so stright up that I'll feel like I'm going to fall backwards! While East Tennessee has some beautiful scenery, the haze makes it difficult to actually see the mountains.

You need to go see Cookeville. The elevation is like 500 feet lower than Johnson City, but it's like it's in a valley and the mountains seem to be all around you - close. It's beautiful. It's also a college town so there is stuff to do, with all the shopping and amenities. And the roads off the main roads have wooded, beautiful scenery. Although, to be fair we noticed this in most of the towns. Once you get off the expressways, the local roads are gorgeous everywhere.

Old 08-29-2007, 05:48 PM

129 posts, read 405,242 times
Had you considered the Cookeville area? Very close (80 miles) to a real metropolitan area (Nashville..Music City..home of the Titans)...

Cookeville is a college town (Tennessee Tech University) and is THE HUB of the Upper Cumberland region of Tennessee. Plenty of fun, cultural stuff to do (if that's your cup of tea)...The golf capital of TN (Crossville) is close enough...the wonderful Cumberland County Playhouse is in Crossville also. Cookeville is close to Center Hill Lake (60 miles long and over 500 miles of shoreline)...

We don't have the Knoxville/Alcoa death highway that leads in and out of Maryville.

We have a VERY LOW crime rate....we love our senior folks! Have one the most highly-ranked hospitals in the South.

Our business community is BOOMING...and restaurants, hotels, and outdoor activities abound! Once you get on Interstate 40 or Highway 111, you can be pretty much ANYWHERE quick!

Home and Land prices are much more affordable than the bedroom communities of the medium to big city! (like Nashville or Knoxville)

Our tax rate is LOW, LOW, LOW!

I should work for the Chamber!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or