U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 06:20 PM

14,941 posts, read 26,661,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookevilleWeatherGuy View Post

We don't have the Knoxville/Alcoa death highway that leads in and out of Maryville.
While expounding the virtues of ones beloved home city one does not need to make such a negative comment about a road in another city; a road that I, and many others, travel each and everyday. Alcoa Hwy. is NOT a "death highway" and to report such is irresponsible. In addition, there are many other ways to travel in that area besides Alcoa Highway and they are gorgeous and very accessible.

Why must one knock an area to promote their own?

Old 08-29-2007, 07:14 PM

129 posts, read 405,515 times
Thumbs up My Apologies To SMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
You're right SmokyMtnGal...I shouldn't knock it...let's just say that it is dangerous with the combination of speed and all the different access points. Could we agree on this?

Otherwise, Maryville is probably one of my favorite cities in all of Tennessee.

Old 08-29-2007, 07:54 PM

11,612 posts, read 31,803,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
While expounding the virtues of ones beloved home city one does not need to make such a negative comment about a road in another city; a road that I, and many others, travel each and everyday. Alcoa Hwy. is NOT a "death highway" and to report such is irresponsible. In addition, there are many other ways to travel in that area besides Alcoa Highway and they are gorgeous and very accessible.

Yeah that is a stretch to call Alcoa Hwy a "death highway."

However, I do have to admit that it is maddening to drive the stretch of Alcoa Hwy by the airport. Heaven help the poor soul who needs to turn against traffic. People zoom along Alcoa Hwy at 70mph through there, completely oblivious to the cars trying to get onto the highway from the restaurants, hotels, and car dealerships off to the side. I once sat for TWENTY MINUTES trying to turn left out of the Subway parking lot and still almost got my car clipped.

Otherwise, I consider Alcoa Hwy to be a rather attractive road connecting Maryville to downtown Knoxville.

And while I think Cookeville is a jewel of a town, Maryville is also a great place to live and has a lot to offer. I wouldn't let the traffic on Alcoa Hwy deter me from living there.

Old 08-30-2007, 09:16 AM

2,063 posts, read 6,248,884 times
I feel so loved.... everyone wants me. LOL

We did give Cookeville a day and drove around the northern areas around it but nothing called to us for a closer look. I think we will probably have to send a little more time exploring next year when we don't have to fit it in with work schedules.

We are used to being in and near a fairly mountainous and relatively lush region but with so much construction we are see Mother Nature slowly slipping away. This is what we want to leave behind so you can see we aren't looking for rapidly expanding areas!

We experienced first hand the excitement and thrills of getting across or turning around on Alcoa Highway near the airport trying to get to and from the motel. It certainly made us think twice about Maryville! I'm not sure about the Death Highway part, though.

SuzieQ our son had been in FL for 3 years and really, really misses the hills. We never realized how flat it was until he complained and we took a longer ride around and realized it really was flat!! Somehow interstates have a way of making most places seem flat so we didn't realize it right away. I don't think he ever thought he would miss all the hills we have around here, especially since he had to often bike or walk to get places. Thanks for the thoughts on Cookeville.

Em

Old 08-30-2007, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&Em View Post
I feel so loved.... everyone wants me. LOL

We did give Cookeville a day and drove around the northern areas around it but nothing called to us for a closer look. I think we will probably have to send a little more time exploring next year when we don't have to fit it in with work schedules.

We are used to being in and near a fairly mountainous and relatively lush region but with so much construction we are see Mother Nature slowly slipping away. This is what we want to leave behind so you can see we aren't looking for rapidly expanding areas!

We experienced first hand the excitement and thrills of getting across or turning around on Alcoa Highway near the airport trying to get to and from the motel. It certainly made us think twice about Maryville! I'm not sure about the Death Highway part, though.

SuzieQ our son had been in FL for 3 years and really, really misses the hills. We never realized how flat it was until he complained and we took a longer ride around and realized it really was flat!! Somehow interstates have a way of making most places seem flat so we didn't realize it right away. I don't think he ever thought he would miss all the hills we have around here, especially since he had to often bike or walk to get places. Thanks for the thoughts on Cookeville.

Em
If you want to be near the mountains but in an area that isn't growing very fast, have you considered McMinn County? Etowah is a cute little town, an old railroad town, right at the foot of the mountains. It's a short 10 minutes to Athens and also not far from Chattanooga. I'm not sure what all you need (jobs?) but if you're just looking for a mountainous area that isn't experiencing much growth, you might want to look around Etowah.

Good luck to you.

Old 09-10-2007, 10:58 AM

1 posts, read 1,783 times
Default Maryville lodging

Evidently like many others, my husband and I are considering places to retire, and Maryville sounds as if it might be what we are looking for. Does anyone have a hotel or B & B recommendation? We are planning a visit in October.

I would appreciate any other tips you can share concerning how to go about this.

Old 02-16-2008, 05:38 AM

1,315 posts, read 3,366,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookevilleWeatherGuy View Post
Had you considered the Cookeville area? Very close (80 miles) to a real metropolitan area (Nashville..Music City..home of the Titans)...

Cookeville is a college town (Tennessee Tech University) and is THE HUB of the Upper Cumberland region of Tennessee. Plenty of fun, cultural stuff to do (if that's your cup of tea)...The golf capital of TN (Crossville) is close enough...the wonderful Cumberland County Playhouse is in Crossville also. Cookeville is close to Center Hill Lake (60 miles long and over 500 miles of shoreline)...

We don't have the Knoxville/Alcoa death highway that leads in and out of Maryville.

We have a VERY LOW crime rate....we love our senior folks! Have one the most highly-ranked hospitals in the South.

Our business community is BOOMING...and restaurants, hotels, and outdoor activities abound! Once you get on Interstate 40 or Highway 111, you can be pretty much ANYWHERE quick!

Home and Land prices are much more affordable than the bedroom communities of the medium to big city! (like Nashville or Knoxville)

Our tax rate is LOW, LOW, LOW!

I should work for the Chamber!
Great info....I am in the Boro but want to move to Crossvlle area.
Here's my dliemma...I am a writer. Is there an area where creative types prefer to live. Any area populated by ltos of the college alumni? I don't like the restrictions of subdivisions..either I want to get some acreage to build a neat old house...where would you suggest I look to get the most bang for my buck, but not too far out? I don't need water or fishing or waterfront..a valley type vista view would be nice but I would be just as happy on an old type farm property. Any areas to avoid ie factories, substations, nasty toxic landfills, or drug areas? Thanks! Also is there an area where there are historic homes or a historic district? What's the oldest city closest to Crossville that has neat old antique stores etc? Thanks!

Old 02-16-2008, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12buttons View Post
Great info....I am in the Boro but want to move to Crossvlle area.
Here's my dliemma...I am a writer. Is there an area where creative types prefer to live. Any area populated by ltos of the college alumni? I don't like the restrictions of subdivisions..either I want to get some acreage to build a neat old house...where would you suggest I look to get the most bang for my buck, but not too far out? I don't need water or fishing or waterfront..a valley type vista view would be nice but I would be just as happy on an old type farm property. Any areas to avoid ie factories, substations, nasty toxic landfills, or drug areas? Thanks! Also is there an area where there are historic homes or a historic district? What's the oldest city closest to Crossville that has neat old antique stores etc? Thanks!
How does one build an "old" house?

At any rate, I'm not sure why you're so determined to move to Crossville if you're looking for an historic district with college types. Do you mean Cookeville? Not to take anything away from Crossville, but it's a retirement haven, oldest population in Tennessee, lots of golf courses and retirement developments. Other than the playhouse in Crossville (which is the largest in Tennessee and is very good) Crossville isn't particularly known as an artsy community.

And if you want to be around a bunch of college people, wouldn't you rather live near a university rather than out in the country? I'm not trying to tell you where to live, I'm just offering some friendly advice. There are a couple of small towns with nice historic areas closer to Cookeville, where you'll find more writers and artists. Check out Gainesboro or Granville, both in Jackson County. Or the Dixie Ave or East Broad historic districts in downtown Cookeville, both near the university.

Old 02-17-2008, 06:48 AM

1,065 posts, read 3,389,499 times
The Tri-Cities area offers as many options as you'll find in the type of areas you are talking about. We moved here from FL in Sept. 2007 and just love it. We bought a new home in Telford. We are 10 miles from Johnson City, 4 miles from Jonesborough, 15 miles from Greeneville, and 24 miles from Kingsport. It is very rural with beautiful mountain views and yet still close to everything. There is excellent health care facilities, a large university (East Tennessee State University), and a very good school system from what I hear. There is excellent shopping and job opportunities and yet we still live in the country and are only about a 15 mile drive to be up in the mountains. It is an exceptionally nice area that you should check out if you are planning a move to Tennessee.

Old 02-17-2008, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williboy View Post
The Tri-Cities area offers as many options as you'll find in the type of areas you are talking about. We moved here from FL in Sept. 2007 and just love it. We bought a new home in Telford. We are 10 miles from Johnson City, 4 miles from Jonesborough, 15 miles from Greeneville, and 24 miles from Kingsport. It is very rural with beautiful mountain views and yet still close to everything. There is excellent health care facilities, a large university (East Tennessee State University), and a very good school system from what I hear. There is excellent shopping and job opportunities and yet we still live in the country and are only about a 15 mile drive to be up in the mountains. It is an exceptionally nice area that you should check out if you are planning a move to Tennessee.
The Tri Cities is definitely a beautiful, choice area.

However, its one disadvantage is its airport. This is fresh on my mind because I just bought some plane tickets this morning. My tickets to the west coast are about $250 out of Nashville. They would've cost about $450 out of Knoxville and nearly $600 out of the Tri Cities. So for those who do a lot of traveling, be prepared to pony up a a lot more money if you fly out of the Tri Cities airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or