Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 10:11 AM

2 posts, read 9,612 times

Advertisements

Hi there!
We are a couple with 2 young kids, we live in Quebec, Canada and we expect to be transfered to Tennessee, around Centerville, within a year. I have a few concerns, like the culture difference. Also my kids only speak french, well my oldest one 2 1/2, my youngest is 11 months...he doesn't speak too much yet

My husband and I obviously speak English, but we have an accent from Canada, and since it is our second language for both, it makes it even worst sometimes... I wonder if that is really an issue as I read comments about the North accent not being appreciated in Tennessee, on this forum.

We also plan to move to Spring Hill, I saw a couple of websites about that city and it seems great, however, if anyone has life experience, I would love to hear it! Or if anyone has any suggestion of towns around Centerville, please do! And if you know a website of picture of that area, it would be appreciated, since I don't know how it looks like...

If you think about anything else I should take in consideration, please let me know...

Thank you!

Last edited by chaton2411; 07-17-2006 at 10:26 AM.. Reason: mistake
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2006, 12:26 PM

37 posts, read 200,806 times
Canada is our friend.....you will be welcomed whole-heartedly. You will, however, find that a LOT of people despise France.....but then, who doesn't?

Old 07-18-2006, 01:58 PM

176 posts, read 799,938 times
Default I'm sure that you'll find a solid welcome

here in Tennessee. I moved here from NY several years ago and couldn't be happier. I only wish that I could have made the move years ago. People sometimes ask me about MY accent but it's all out of curiosity. They then ask what New York is like, thinking that I lived in NY City (I didn't). My area of NY was nice 30-40 years ago but that time has passed.

I don't know anything about Centerville but Columbia/Spring Hill is a beautiful area. You will find no shortage of great homes, scenic locations, etc. there, all at reasonable prices. My sister-in-law is soon moving to TN after being fed up with New York City's traffic, prices and taxes.

I wish my French were as good as your English. Bonne chance et ..."Je me souviens!" Bienvenue a Tennessee!

Last edited by mrradio; 07-18-2006 at 02:06 PM..

Old 07-19-2006, 07:17 AM

2 posts, read 9,612 times
Default thank you

for your replies, I'm happy to see that the accent thing is not as a problem as I thought it was!
Also I was able to find more info about that area of Tennessee and I think that it will be a great move for us! We now have to wait for my husbands compagny to proceed....

Old 07-22-2006, 07:46 PM

6 posts, read 18,866 times
chaton - I grew up in Spring Hill and its a wonderful place... I really miss it and wish I could go back! Most of the people there are very welcoming and friendly. It is a transplant area due to people working at saturn.. so its mostly northerners. (my family moved there for saturn, we were originally from Michigan as were many other families). There should be no problems for you coming from canada. we had a couple canadian transplants when I lived there and everyone loved them! People will love your accent. Spring Hill High and Elementary schools are ok... they are not the best but arent horrible. I would probably put my daughter in the newer elementary school of Spring Hill. All in all its a great place to live and it is growing.They have put up more stores and Spring Hill is even considering its own hospital. Good Luck and welcome to TN and more importantly the US! I hope you love it~

Last edited by Violet; 07-22-2006 at 07:53 PM..

Old 02-10-2007, 08:59 AM

1 posts, read 4,891 times
Default I have a question???

I have a friend that wants to move from canada to tennessee i was wondering if you could tell me what all steps you have to go through to be able to do so

Old 10-04-2007, 04:11 PM

2 posts, read 6,166 times
Did you move? How did it all go? I moved from the Yukon Territory to Knoxville, Tennessee. It was a little trying at first, but now I love it!!

Jamie

Old 10-04-2007, 04:15 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,211,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennuck View Post
Did you move? How did it all go? I moved from the Yukon Territory to Knoxville, Tennessee. It was a little trying at first, but now I love it!!

Jamie
I'm happy to hear a report like that. I always say that not everyplace is right for everyone . . . and that it's just fine with me if someone wants to live somewhere else (there's lots of great places besides Tennessee). But I'm also glad to hear that someone who moved here enjoys our little corner of the universe.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:58 AM

1 posts, read 3,754 times
Thumbs down don't do it.

I grew up in canada. i was born in windsor ON, but lived in vaudreille dorion for 5 years aswell. my dad got a job and moved us down here to tennessee in SPRING HILL. to say the least it sucks here. not only that but once we moved down here my dad lost his job as a manager due to a closing plant. we're basicly stuck here and not one of us is happy. it's like you never really know how patriotic you are until you live somewhere as ****ty as tennessee, spring hill inpreticular. and i havn't heard much better about centerville. i'm seventeen years old now and have been here for three years, anyway thats all i have to say about that. i recomend to ANYBODY don't come here from canada. its an imense DOWNGRADEEEE!

Old 09-08-2010, 10:01 AM

851 posts, read 2,458,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanada View Post
I grew up in canada. i was born in windsor ON, but lived in vaudreille dorion for 5 years aswell. my dad got a job and moved us down here to tennessee in SPRING HILL. to say the least it sucks here. not only that but once we moved down here my dad lost his job as a manager due to a closing plant. we're basicly stuck here and not one of us is happy. it's like you never really know how patriotic you are until you live somewhere as ****ty as tennessee, spring hill inpreticular. and i havn't heard much better about centerville. i'm seventeen years old now and have been here for three years, anyway thats all i have to say about that. i recomend to ANYBODY don't come here from canada. its an imense DOWNGRADEEEE!

I know this thread is old over 4 years. But I had to say something to "shanada"
I'm so sorry that you are so miserable. Why do you feel like you are stuck? If the whole family is so miserable, there has to be a way to change things

That's why it is VERY important for people to do the research homework (a lot of it) BEFORE you move!! And make sure you visit different times of the year as well... Several visits. Tennessee is not for everyone, thank goodness.

It's not Tennessee that made the mistake so maybe you should say: It might be good for some people, but didn't work well for my family." We want to go back Home to Canada. Make sure that YOU do the research FIRST!! And maybe that will save you from being as miserable as we are.

Because a lot of people love Tennessee as much as you love Canada.
I hope you find a place that makes you and your family happy where ever that might be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee