U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2007, 08:16 PM

6,290 posts, read 20,565,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phyll View Post
:

Lol ,love your post!My grandughter is 3 now.We are hoping to be able to move in the next yr,or 2 hopefully not more than that.I would love to be
'the bestest" grandma in the whole world!I sure would have to learn alot about midget ponies!The most I had was a dog .Thank you for your help!
P.S. may I ask what you mean about dogs roaming in packs?
In some rural areas where dogs are allowed to run free, sometime a group of them will get together; they are close to being wild dogs. They can sometime cause trouble by "hunting" small farm animals like sleep or goats.

Of course, if there's any old farmers around who have animals, then the dogs are going to have a short life. They will shoot dogs like that.

Last edited by alleycat; 05-07-2007 at 08:52 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2007, 08:41 PM

15,205 posts, read 10,319,104 times
Of course, if they're any old farmers around who have animals, then the dogs are going to have a short life. They will shoot dogs like that.

Also the yotes....

Old 05-08-2007, 03:56 AM

665 posts, read 1,718,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
In some rural areas where dogs are allowed to run free, sometime a group of them will get together; they are close to being wild dogs. They can sometime cause trouble by "hunting" small farm animals like sleep or goats.

Of course, if there's any old farmers around who have animals, then the dogs are going to have a short life. They will shoot dogs like that.
Okay. now thats something I will HAVE to get use to if I move to TN. Is the wild dogs AND the farmers shooting.I have NEVER heard a gunshot in my life ! and old farmers being allowed to shoot a gun off. BUT it wont keep me from coming to TN

Old 05-08-2007, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Of course, if they're any old farmers around who have animals, then the dogs are going to have a short life. They will shoot dogs like that.

Also the yotes....
I gather you mea "coyotees?" That sounds so foreign to me , LOL, but its not going to scare me

Old 05-08-2007, 04:20 AM

6,290 posts, read 20,565,526 times
Quote:
Okay. now thats something I will HAVE to get use to if I move to TN. Is the wild dogs AND the farmers shooting.I have NEVER heard a gunshot in my life ! and old farmers being allowed to shoot a gun off. BUT it wont keep me from coming to TN
Don't worry about it. I was just explaining my first comment about packs of dogs (goats and sheep seems to bring out the worst behavior in some dogs that are allowed to run free). You might not ever come into contact with something like this.

You probably will need to get used to hearing guns if you move to anyplace in the country in Tennessee. Hunting is still a big thing here.

Old 05-08-2007, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Don't worry about it. I was just explaining my first comment about packs of dogs (goats and sheep seems to bring out the worst behavior in some dogs that are allowed to run free). You might not ever come into contact with something like this.

You probably will need to get used to hearing guns if you move to anyplace in the country in Tennessee. Hunting is still a big thing here.
I guess like anything you do get use to it. My home as a child had a 4 lane hiway just beyond our backyard, I got use to all the traffic noise, as with my home now , our street is very buisy, I HATE it! but am use to the noise, but it is getting worse .Cant wait to visit TN in July

Old 05-08-2007, 05:13 PM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
793 posts, read 2,518,176 times
Quote:
Chickens and ducks are pretty easy (just keep the ducks out of your garden).
My ducks were the best thing for my garden. They'd spend part of the day roaming up and down the vegetable garden rows, picking the bugs off of the plants. Never bothered any of the plants, just ate the bugs.

Phyll, the dogs roaming in packs will chase after and attack the goats. A small donkey (which I plan on getting) will kick and bite back at the dogs. Donkey's also make a real good substitute 'watch dogs'.

blessings, Shen

Old 05-08-2007, 05:17 PM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
793 posts, read 2,518,176 times
Quote:
I have NEVER heard a gunshot in my life ! and old farmers being allowed to shoot a gun off. BUT it wont keep me from coming to TN
They're just practicing their Second Amendment Right. Plus, you just maybe thankful for those farmers and guns. And I'd also advise anyone who wants to live out in the country to go to the local gun club, learn gun safety, and get a gun. A gun is useful against varmints of any sort.

blessings, Shen (a firm Constitutionalist)

Old 05-08-2007, 05:49 PM

22,538 posts, read 46,123,072 times
I've never felt so safe in my life living here in the hills of Tennessee.

If there's ever a problem, all my neighbors have critters and guns. Country folks can survive!

Now, I'm a country girl, but I hail from Massachusetts where they have insane gun laws. But my Dad is a Republican and always had a gun and he taught me how to shoot.

Funny how living here has slowly tipped me from more blue to red!

Anyway, it should be pretty self-sufficient around here, unless the terrorists blow Oak Ridge all to hell. I doubt it, though. It's probably one of the most secure places in the country. I hope so, anyway.

Old 05-09-2007, 11:24 AM

61 posts, read 218,183 times
I thought the fainting goats was some sort of joke. I found the video I think Shenandoah was talking about. It's great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee