U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 04:55 PM

665 posts, read 1,717,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
First day of school here for my daughter was gun safety presented by the local law enforcement. That was Kindergarten. They are always in the school teaching things. My daughter tells the cops that daddy doesn't always wear his seatbelt but that mommy does!
Gun Safety in kindergarten .I guess thats one difference in our areas, I think peolpe around here might not take to learning that so young. if at all. The kids in my child care cannot even pretend to shoot guns, its forbidden.th.ey are told to stop if we see it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2007, 05:25 PM

22,534 posts, read 46,102,156 times
That's why Tennessee is in the South and New Jersey is in the North. It is a completely different lifestyle.

Most people like one or the other, and that is fine, but it is a different kind of place. I purposely moved here because of it. Not because it is a cheap place to live.

I'm not saying you are doing that. Not at all. But there are a lot of people that think this is going to be the same as their current state, but cheap, and it may not be, depending on where you are moving from.

Old 05-11-2007, 12:29 AM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
793 posts, read 2,517,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phyll View Post
I think the fear is NEVER being around them, seeing what they can do,and the accidents that happen
Phyll, your fear is misplaced, tho. It's not the gun you should fear. It's an inanimate object, like a car. It's the person handling the object that is the potential cause for harm. The great equalizer, tho, is the good guys with guns, who have the capability of stopping the bad guys with guns. Unfortunately, the media doesn't widely cover the crimes (and school shootings) that have been stopped with guns. If one teacher in that building at Virginia Tech had a gun, the deaths would have lessened greatly.

Hiknapster, that's wonderful to hear about the local schools supporting and welcoming gun safety courses! Yet another mark on the Pro side of moving to TN!

blessings, Shen

Old 05-11-2007, 12:38 AM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
793 posts, read 2,517,342 times
Quote:
The kids in my child care cannot even pretend to shoot guns, its forbidden.th.ey are told to stop if we see it
That's a real shame. I constantly hear on the news rediculous stories about children being arrested or suspended from school for just pretending. Common sense is almost gone. The Governor of Kansas is 'ordered' to lie in order to promote a political agenda, even after apologizing for her comments on national tv. Where is our country going???

This is why I promote the Constitution and our rights as Americans. They don't even teach our Constitution or our Founding Fathers and their patriotic battles for our freedom in school anymore. It just doesn't fit in with certain political 'agendas'.

I'm liking TN more and more, and it's just an extra bonus that Fred Thompson is from the great state of TN. Boy, I hope he runs!

blessings, Shen

Old 05-11-2007, 03:05 AM

Quote:
That's why Tennessee is in the South and New Jersey is in the North. It is a completely different lifestyle.

Most people like one or the other, and that is fine, but it is a different kind of place. I purposely moved here because of it. Not because it is a cheap place to live.

I'm not saying you are doing that. Not at all. But there are a lot of people that think this is going to be the same as their current state, but cheap, and it may not be, depending on where you are moving from.
I know what you mean, I do not like the way peolpe treat each other in Jersey, or at least some of them, thats why I want out.It is sometimes survival of the fiitest.For me I am a live and let live, I LIKE to smle when I pass someone or say hello.Here if you do that (sometimes) they look at ya like your crazy

Old 05-11-2007, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenandoah View Post
That's a real shame. I constantly hear on the news rediculous stories about children being arrested or suspended from school for just pretending. Common sense is almost gone. The Governor of Kansas is 'ordered' to lie in order to promote a political agenda, even after apologizing for her comments on national tv. Where is our country going???

This is why I promote the Constitution and our rights as Americans. They don't even teach our Constitution or our Founding Fathers and their patriotic battles for our freedom in school anymore. It just doesn't fit in with certain political 'agendas'.

I'm liking TN more and more, and it's just an extra bonus that Fred Thompson is from the great state of TN. Boy, I hope he runs!

blessings, Shen
Shen
The truth is when my son was young , awhile ago,he also played army, guns ect, but now the kids cannot at all in our school as the general area.I think guns sacre me here, because peolpe who MIGHT have them here shouldnt.Its crazy here I WANT OUT p.s. I dont believe just because kids play "guns" they are going to be natural born killers either.

Old 05-11-2007, 05:38 AM

Quote:
I know what you mean, I do not like the way peolpe treat each other in Jersey, or at least some of them, thats why I want out.It is sometimes survival of the fiitest.For me I am a live and let live, I LIKE to smle when I pass someone or say hello.Here if you do that (sometimes) they look at ya like your crazy
I remember that from living up North. If you say "hi" they act like you're going to mug them!

Old 05-11-2007, 03:04 PM

Quote:
I remember that from living up North. If you say "hi" they act like you're going to mug them!
lol, how true is that! I have to say though when peolpe are talkative to me if I dont know them, I am cautious, but I think that comes from where we live,we arent accustomed to very friendly people.what makes TN people so nice, or at least the ones I met down there?

Old 05-11-2007, 03:14 PM

I think they are taught at an early age to be polite. The kids say "sir" and "ma'am." It's the Bible belt. A lot of those lessons are taught in Sunday school, too.

I think crime may have something to do with it, too. You learn to not trust other people. Florida was worse than the Northeast. Lots of con artists. I never was sure who I was talking to. I still don't quite trust everyone. I'm always thinking, what is it they want from me?

I hope things around here don't change.

Old 05-11-2007, 03:24 PM

Quote:
I think they are taught at an early age to be polite. The kids say "sir" and "ma'am." It's the Bible belt. A lot of those lessons are taught in Sunday school, too.

I think crime may have something to do with it, too. You learn to not trust other people. Florida was worse than the Northeast. Lots of con artists. I never was sure who I was talking to. I still don't quite trust everyone. I'm always thinking, what is it they want from me?

I hope things around here don't change.
Yes, with alot of us coming to TN, natives must worry about folks coming to TN. I promise you, I am NOT wanting to come to TN to bring Jersey with me. My family is looking for the beauty and peaceful life of TN. I stood and looked at the smoky mnts, took a deep breath and felt peace. I know thats hokey, but true. I KNOW when I have to come home from our vacation in TN this yr I will cry..... .but will work on buying the following summer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee