U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 03:37 PM

22,533 posts, read 46,075,513 times

Advertisements

I was like that, too. When I had to go back to Florida I cried every night. Before I knew it, though, I was living here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2007, 03:54 PM

665 posts, read 1,717,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I was like that, too. When I had to go back to Florida I cried every night. Before I knew it, though, I was living here!
God willing it will go smooth for us, This is the first home we have owned and have to sell, We have no clue how to do this as far as do I guess I will have to trust an aagent I want to be there too! May I say I enjoy writing with you? PLEASE, I swear I am NOT a looney either, I am 47, female, toddler teacher, married.I enjoy reading your posts....phyllis

Old 05-11-2007, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phyll View Post
God willing it will go smooth for us, This is the first home we have owned and have to sell, We have no clue how to do this as far as do I guess I will have to trust an aagent I want to be there too! May I say I enjoy writing with you? PLEASE, I swear I am NOT a looney either, I am 47, female, toddler teacher, married.I enjoy reading your posts....phyllis
Oh, wow! You are incredibly nice! Thank you so much. I enjoy "talking" to you, too!

I don't know a darn thing about selling a house, though. There's been some good advice on here though. I bet someone will come along and give you advice! Or start a new thread. Or better, yet, there is a real estate forum on here. I've read some VERY good advice on it. Check it out!

Old 05-12-2007, 03:00 AM

4 posts, read 10,700 times
Hi folks, I'm new on here. I just thought I would put in my 2 cents. You sound like you are open minded and would fit in well down here phyll. From reading on here you would think everyone in TN is a bunch of gun toting rednecks. I assure you thats not the case but most do believe in gun rights. If you do move here and want to protect you animals from the occasional rogue dog wandering around and don't want to kill the dog. Here's a trick I learned. Get a .22 caliber pistol and buy some rat shot. Make sure you shoot from about 20 feet away. It won't kill the dog but he probably won't be back for awhile. That might also get you over the fear of a gun also because the ammo you have isn't really lethal.

Old 05-12-2007, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOAT RIDE View Post
Hi folks, I'm new on here. I just thought I would put in my 2 cents. You sound like you are open minded and would fit in well down here phyll. From reading on here you would think everyone in TN is a bunch of gun toting rednecks. I assure you thats not the case but most do believe in gun rights. If you do move here and want to protect you animals from the occasional rogue dog wandering around and don't want to kill the dog. Here's a trick I learned. Get a .22 caliber pistol and buy some rat shot. Make sure you shoot from about 20 feet away. It won't kill the dog but he probably won't be back for awhile. That might also get you over the fear of a gun also because the ammo you have isn't really lethal.
Ok, here goes, what the heck is RAT SHOT? Hey I am from the jersey suburbs...lol I have nt any clue what that is

Old 05-12-2007, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Oh, wow! You are incredibly nice! Thank you so much. I enjoy "talking" to you, too!

I don't know a darn thing about selling a house, though. There's been some good advice on here though. I bet someone will come along and give you advice! Or start a new thread. Or better, yet, there is a real estate forum on here. I've read some VERY good advice on it. Check it out!
Thankyou so much for your help. And thank you for saying I am nice. I like to smile .

Old 05-12-2007, 06:16 AM

6,290 posts, read 20,550,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phyll View Post
Ok, here goes, what the heck is RAT SHOT? Hey I am from the jersey suburbs...lol I have nt any clue what that is
It's basically a tiny shotgun shell. Because a .22 is a small shell anyway, it's not very effective on anything but some varmits at very close range. I doubt whether anyone could actually kill a rat with it except shooting from six feet or less.

But . . . I think I started the whole gun discussion thing when I first mentioned dogs and goats. Really, it's probably not something you will have to deal with. If you live in the country, you might hear some gunshots in the distance from time to time, either during hunting season, or someone doing a little target practice. Most people who live in the country use their guns responsibly (I had access to all sort of firearms when I was ten years old and why taught what I could shoot and what I couldn't . . . what I couldn't included most birds, farm animals, other people, and, to my disappointment, my brother). Occasionaly, there will be a couple of kids somewhere who shoot something they shouldn't, but this is not a big problem in most places.

Old 05-12-2007, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
It's basically a tiny shotgun shell. Because a .22 is a small shell anyway, it's not very effective on anything but some varmits at very close range. I doubt whether anyone could actually kill a rat with it except shooting from six feet or less.

But . . . I think I started the whole gun discussion thing when I first mentioned dogs and goats. Really, it's probably not something you will have to deal with. If you live in the country, you might hear some gunshots in the distance from time to time, either during hunting season, or someone doing a little target practice. Most people who live in the country use their guns responsibly (I had access to all sort of firearms when I was ten years old and why taught what I could shoot and what I couldn't . . . what I couldn't included most birds, farm animals, other people, and, to my disappointment, my brother). Occasionaly, there will be a couple of kids somewhere who shoot something they shouldn't, but this is not a big problem in most places.
Lol, I like the part about your brother, I feel that way about my brother in law
I like hearing all these new things, its interesting to me. I am honestly not woried about the whole gun thing,that wont stop me from getting to TN.

Old 05-12-2007, 01:57 PM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
793 posts, read 2,516,526 times
Like AlleyKat said, you may only hear them every so often from hunters in the area. I don't know if you're moving to the country, suburb or city, but my suggestion for taking a course really is pertinent to everyone. I've worked in the city, almost have been mugged. I much prefer the country, country life, and country down home people. It's home to me, what I'm used to. And like you, I smile all the time, and people think I'm weird for it, but how can I help NOT to smile? I've been blessed, life is good (with a few speed bumps thrown in for balance), but I've found that more often than not, if you smile at someone and say hello, how ya doing? They'll answer back. Very very few people look at me as if I were nuts to talk to them, or totally ignore my chitchat. It's the way I was raised. To go back to hearing people say Sir and M'am. To help your neighbors out, give someone a hug and a hand up when they're down. IMHO, that's the way it is no matter where you live, if you live out in the country. It's the way we act here, but I've also lived in town, worked in the city, and see the way people treat each other there. I don't want that. It's cold and unfeeling, and humans weren't made to be that way.

Some people don't think so, but church is a huge factor in this. People quote the 'Golden Rule', but where do they think that rule came from?

Anyway, I'm rambling on, and this thread has gone way off subject. Goats chickens and rabbits - and donkeys! I want them all, except for the rabbits..... my daughter has had some as pets, I've had them in my garden, and I'd rather not have them as pets. So, I'll stick with goats, sheep, chickens, ducks, dogs, cats and a donkey! My husband just hasn't a CLUE what he's in for!!!! LOL!!

So, Phyll - HUGS to you! And here's hoping that we'll each find our small piece of heaven in Tennessee!

...and btw...when Lou and I move there, I'm planning on having a good traditional dinner, with pieroghies, kielbasa and sauerkraut, haluski, nutrolls, and I may even attempt a shoe fly pie! (see the thread on TN food) So, you're invited too!

blessings, Shen

Old 05-12-2007, 02:32 PM

I've decided that I'm not a city girl, too. I come from a small town, but I always thought it was a BIG town. My mother still lives there. I talked to her this morning, and yep, she's convinced she lives in a REALLY big town. It has 14,000 people in it!

I smile at everyone, too, and I have had a pretty bad life, about 10 Lifetime movies rolled into one. Doesn't matter. There is absolutely no reason not to smile. Sometimes I think I smile a lot because I'm constantly thinking, "Whew, I got through that mess!"

And I really want in on that Polish dinner!

Phyll, you'll do just fine. I can't wait to have another New Jersian here! Yay!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee