Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Tennessee: taxes, cost of living, traffic, retirement, downtown.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 04:16 PM

13,352 posts, read 39,954,509 times

Advertisements

I think we need to draft LauraC into running for office!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2007, 04:35 PM

81 posts, read 309,012 times
I second. that JMT !!!
LauraC you think of everything girl! I want to live next door and when you take that new jeep fishing, I'm going to sneak over and try out your money machine

Old 05-05-2007, 08:20 PM

136 posts, read 621,011 times
Default tennessee home wish list

I too plan to return to Tennessee, after trying for too long to find decent work up in Michigan. If my dream came true, I'd find myself back in time, when there were still independent shops and real thriving town centers. But to get real, since the monitor is wanting to show this to the powers that decide such things, what I want is community... in manageable bites. I want to be able to walk on sidewalks, not in the street on the main drag in town. I want a dog park and a place to go listen to some live music and dance, where there are no drunks. I'm choosing Tennessee because after years away I still miss the smell of the nut trees in the fall there, and the accepting attitudes there of folks to other "just plain folks". Having seen other places sprawl and go to ruin in the process, I want managed growth, with plenty of open country to let me breath. I want the powers to think of what gets passed down to the next generation, and I'm not just talking about humans here. That means not giving free rides to those who want to raid the resources and run away, rich. We need to try to save what's worth saving.
And that means unique character, not cookie cutter America anywhere.

Old 05-05-2007, 09:57 PM

1,323 posts, read 4,700,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I think we need to draft LauraC into running for office!

LauraC would definitely have my vote. I'll even do some campaigning for her!

Old 05-06-2007, 10:21 AM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
795 posts, read 2,804,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jguillot View Post
LauraC would definitely have my vote. I'll even do some campaigning for her!
I'll second that!

No HOA's for me - that sounds too communist state for me, and unconstitutional. If I've paid for my property, I can do what I wish on it - if it's running up the American Flag on the flagpole, to having a hooptie sitting in the driveway, or even painting my home neon green, that I paid for on my property.

No gated community for me either. I've nothing against them, as long as there's no HOA's involved.

Me, I'm a country gal. I want room to roam. I want to let my dog out and not worry that she's run into the neighbor's yard. I want to have a couple chickens, ducks, a couple goats, a couple sheep, and hopefully someday get another horse. Maybe even a steer, but I'd be afraid that I'd get emotionally attached, name him George and then not be able to look at him as beef in my freezer anymore. I'd be satisfied with 10 acres, but am looking for more.

Both my hubby and I are handy around the house, have lived in and restored 100 year old homes. But, we're at the age now where we want to relax more - so, a newer home with character will be what we'll look for. Unless we build a modular on property.

We'll attend neighborhood churches, shop in the neighborhood shoppes, make the occasional drive into the big city to hit up either Sam's Club or Costco (whichever is closer), and for entertainment. Maybe Sam's Club or Costco will come to Cookeville! The way it sounds like it's growing, then I'd say one or the other will come.

Has anyone here dealt with GPC Homes in Morristown? Reliable? We've been looking at modulars, but there's still unknown costs involved - which I'll ask that question on another thread.

blessings, Shen

Old 05-06-2007, 10:49 AM

764 posts, read 1,456,771 times
Default Ah, peace and tranquility. And trees!!!!

LauraC,

I sure enjoy your posts.

You wrote: “Obstructed only slightly by trees, my home would face some mountains in Tennessee . . .”

Although we’ve only been here a short time, it struck us right away that people in Tennessee build to preserve natural beauty and part of that appears to be not destroying the beauty of the hills and mountains. Now, I’m sure as we travel around more we’ll see many exceptions, but just the other day on our drive on Hwy-70 to Cookeville we saw more examples of the preservation of natural beauty.

Where I come from in Washington and Oregon, the developers desperately want, and get, the hills so that they can scrape them off, and as buildings begin going up, to those looking at those once-gorgeous hillsides, it appears that scabs are growing on a wounded knee.

In the areas in which we’ve traveled thus far here in our local area, the hills are magnificent and it appears that people want to view their beauty, thus the building is done below them. So far, we haven’t seen many houses built for people to look down upon the thousands of others whose views they’ve ruined.

Here’s hoping that the people of Tennessee are active in preventing the election of “officials” who will be accomplices with developers in getting what they want at the expense of the citizens’ future peace and tranquility!

Old 05-06-2007, 11:08 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
Unfortunately, there are many areas of Knoxville where they have plowed down the trees and built these really ugly looking condos and subdivisions.

You don't even want to know about what goes on here in local politics.

Old 05-08-2007, 07:24 AM

86 posts, read 333,736 times
MB, Thanks so much for reposting my note, and thanks to everyone who answered. I need to take some time to make a list of the things mentioned and will get back later to comment on individual post. Just as a quick comment, what we are seeing here in Kingsport are newcomers moving into existing neighborhoods and becoming part of the community rather than clustering in new developments. Most of our newcomers are from the region, but when one excludes the state of TN and Southwest VA the largest number of newcomers are from (no surprise) Florida! We are also seeing several from California.

Old 05-08-2007, 10:52 AM

1 posts, read 2,127 times
Default What I am looking for in Tennessee

Could some nice user please tell me the street address for Peak Trucking or Peak Transportation in New Johnsonville, Tennessee Thank you.

patinfla@atlantic.net

Old 05-08-2007, 11:18 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,210,133 times
I looked on Switchboard. There doesn't seem to be a Peak Trucking in New Johnsonville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee