U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2007, 02:19 PM

79 posts, read 228,283 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what kind of plant/flower these are they seem to be all over my front yard, I like the purple flower but the other one is growing non-stop all over...Thanks All
Need Some Help-other-flower.jpg

Need Some Help-plant.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2007, 02:32 PM

7,281 posts, read 18,720,196 times
The first ones are Iris's. These are the TN state Flower. The second are Peonies. Wait until they bloom! They will be huge, pretty and smell wonderful! They will stay buds for quite a while before they bloom and black ants will be all over them, just leave the ants, they actually help the plant, but just be sure to shake the flowers really good if you plan on cutting them and brining them inside, you don't want to bring the ants inside.

Old 05-04-2007, 04:55 PM

Thanks Mb...I do see quite a few ants on them couldnt figure out what to do, but now I know...thanks again

Old 05-04-2007, 05:20 PM

11,614 posts, read 31,815,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
The first ones are Iris's. These are the TN state Flower. The second are Peonies. Wait until they bloom! They will be huge, pretty and smell wonderful! They will stay buds for quite a while before they bloom and black ants will be all over them, just leave the ants, they actually help the plant, but just be sure to shake the flowers really good if you plan on cutting them and brining them inside, you don't want to bring the ants inside.
Ah, the Tennessee Iris! What a beautiful flower! In 1935, the state legislature made the song "When It's Iris Time in Tennessee" the 2nd state song (there are now 8 state songs). Its lyrics bring a tear to my eyes:

First Verse
Sweetness of Spring memories bring
Of a place I long to be
Land of Sunshine calls this old heart of mine,
Come back to Tennessee

Second Verse
Rocks and the rills deep tinted hills,
There's no spot so dear to me
Where'er I roam still it's my Home Sweet Home,
My own, my Tennessee

Chorus
When itís Iris time down in Tennessee,
Iíll be coming back to stay
Where the mockingbird sings at the break of day
A lilting love song gay
Where the Iris grows,
Where the Harpeth flows,
That is where I long to be
Thereís a picture there that lives in memory
When itís Iris time in Tennessee

Old 05-04-2007, 05:37 PM

6,290 posts, read 20,565,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Where the mockingbird sings at the break of day
A lilting love song gay
Where the Iris grows,
Where the Harpeth flows,
That is where I long to be
I don't have to long! ;-)

I just about live on the banks of the Harpeth. And the mockingbird does sing, and the iris grow.

Old 05-07-2007, 09:06 AM

Ok so is this also an Iris..I only ask because this flower is much bigger and the blades are much wider...I didnt plant these flowers so I dont know what they are but thanks to anyone who can tell me..Need Some Help-pict0157.jpg

Old 05-07-2007, 09:17 AM

Yep, it's an iris. A bearded iris to be exact (the "beard" is that yellow part).

By the way, if you ever decide to add to the mix, there are literally hundreds, if not thousands, of iris colors.

Old 05-07-2007, 09:26 AM

Well thank you..there are so many different ones already in my yard, jus didnt know that they were all Iris'..thanks again

Old 05-07-2007, 09:45 AM

Are there groups of the flowers in your yard that are consistently smaller than the others? The reason I ask is that the irises on the first photo you posted almost look like Japanese iris. They are very similar to regular irises, but are always smaller.

The iris is what the French fleur-de-lis symbol is based on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee