U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2007, 05:03 PM

3 posts, read 7,147 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My wife and I would very much like to relocate to East Tennessee, somewhere near the mountains in the area between Knoxville and Chattanooga. We were both strongly drawn to the feel of the area and its people when we spent our honeymoon in Pigeon Forge last August. The area I mentioned, though, covers quite a large territory, and we hope that some of the people on this board can give us ideas as to which town in that region would be best for us. Our income is fixed, as we both receive permanent disability from the Federal Government (I have Asperger's and she has a mood disorder). Our combined monthly income is about $1500. The top 5 things on our list are:

1) Proximity to Natural areas, as I am a hiker and she also likes to walk in Natural areas.

2) Low crime rate, as we will be having a child late this autumn before the move.

3) Within driving distance of a city large enough to have Arts and Culture destinations (museums and theaters and the like).

4) Within driving distance of a Unity Church or similar. As some may not be familiar with that denomination, I shall provide a link which lists the towns & cities in Tennessee where they are located. Since I am only vauguely familiar with the names of the cities and towns in East Tennessee, it is a laborious process for me to try to determine which location listed may be in our region of interest:

http://www.findthechurch.org/directorytennessee.htm

5) Broadband Internet access of some kind must be available (we plan to start a small online business after we move).

Neither one of us are fond of living in a city as such, and would prefer a smaller town or outlying suburb environment. Currently, we live in Dayton, Ohio -- let's just say that it is almost the opposite of what we are looking for.

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

///Dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2007, 05:13 PM

11,614 posts, read 31,815,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aikanar View Post
Hello,

My wife and I would very much like to relocate to East Tennessee, somewhere near the mountains in the area between Knoxville and Chattanooga. We were both strongly drawn to the feel of the area and its people when we spent our honeymoon in Pigeon Forge last August. The area I mentioned, though, covers quite a large territory, and we hope that some of the people on this board can give us ideas as to which town in that region would be best for us. Our income is fixed, as we both receive permanent disability from the Federal Government (I have Asperger's and she has a mood disorder). Our combined monthly income is about $1500. The top 5 things on our list are:

1) Proximity to Natural areas, as I am a hiker and she also likes to walk in Natural areas.

2) Low crime rate, as we will be having a child late this autumn before the move.

3) Within driving distance of a city large enough to have Arts and Culture destinations (museums and theaters and the like).

4) Within driving distance of a Unity Church or similar. As some may not be familiar with that denomination, I shall provide a link which lists the towns & cities in Tennessee where they are located. Since I am only vauguely familiar with the names of the cities and towns in East Tennessee, it is a laborious process for me to try to determine which location listed may be in our region of interest:

5) Broadband Internet access of some kind must be available (we plan to start a small online business after we move).

Neither one of us are fond of living in a city as such, and would prefer a smaller town or outlying suburb environment. Currently, we live in Dayton, Ohio -- let's just say that it is almost the opposite of what we are looking for.

///Dave
It doesn't look like there are any Unity Churches in East Tennessee except in the Tri Cities (Johnson City), Knoxville, and Chattanooga. How far are you willing to drive to go to church or to a town with museums and theater?

Fortunately, no matter where in East Tennessee you are, you're never far from wonderful hiking opportunities. There are literally dozens of state and national parks, forests, and recreation areas scattered across the Cumberland Plateau and East Tennessee.

Roane County might be a good option. It's about 20-30 minutes west of Knoxville, real estate there is much cheaper than elsewhere in the Knoxville area, and it's smack in the middle of some beautiful countryside within a close drive to Big South Fork National Recreation Area, Frozen Head, Fall Creek Falls, and Cumberland Mountain state parks.

Old 05-09-2007, 02:07 PM

3 posts, read 7,147 times
Thank you very much for your information about the area near Knoxville.

We have also been looking at areas near Chattanooga, but are not in the city itself. We sent away for an information packet from the Chattanooga Chamber of Commerce, and are quite pleased with the mix of things the Chattanooga area has to offer. In particular the Tennessee Aquarium and Reflection Riding.

Can anyone give me more information about smaller communities in the Chattanooga area that are a good match for what we are looking for (see first post)? One of our online friends lives in Coker Creek. I like the idea of being near the Park, but I don't know much about that particular town.

Thanks,

///Dave

Old 05-13-2007, 10:38 PM

1 posts, read 2,185 times
Hi, I came across your post tonight. I live just outside of Chattanooga in a city called Hixson. There are several cities just outside of Chattanooga, that have that small town feel, but close enough to get downtown in 20 minutes or so. I checked out Coker Creek and it's about 1 1/2 hours from Knoxville and almost 2 hours from Chattanooga.

Being from Chattanooga, this may be a biased opinion, but if you are looking for a great, family oriented place with a great Art community with museums and theatres, Chattanooga is the place to be. There are also 2 Unity churches here. In Chattanooga, you are surrounded by mountains, with the heart of the city being the Tennessee River. There is always something to do in Chattanooga. But, to me the best part is, we are only 2 hours away from Atlanta, Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge and Nashville, so day trips are fun and easy.

Let me know if there is anything else I can answer about Chattanooga for you. Moderator cut: Realtor advertising not allowed on this forum
Best wishes.

Old 05-16-2007, 08:13 PM

63 posts, read 164,223 times
Wink Hello from Chattanooga

The area of East Ridge sounds good for you, however, you must be careful where you pick to live. The Chattanooga areas are notorious for not being very pedestrian friendly. If you insist on walking places, stay to the Germantown Road side of East Ridge. The older neighborhood on that side have main road sidewalks that lead to shopping. The other side of East Ridge is in a flood zone and has questionable growth issues. I have lived here for 12 years now and feel like I have a unique view as an outsider. I am from the Florida & California areas and had a difficult time adjusting but now feel right at home.

Ten years ago, this area suffered for art and culture, now it is a center for both. Downtown is wonderful and if you can stand living through the transition of it, you could get into a neighborhood that will be center to that lifestyle in years to come. However, it only takes me a few minutes to get there from East Ridge where I live now.

East Ridge meets the criteria for you I think more then downtown. You will find a closed community. One highschool and middle school with 3 elementary schools cover the area. There are several private schools and day care centers. You will find plenty of shopping within the community for needs and the main road through East Ridge carries most of them. It is only 5 minutes to downtown Chattanooga and in the other direction, 5 minutes to the mall and major retailers such as Target, Walmart, & all the restaurants you can imagine. Ask me anything....I think I can cover it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aikanar View Post
Hello,

///Dave

Old 08-01-2007, 10:13 AM

1 posts, read 1,924 times
You might want to look at SODDY DAISY just north of Chattanooga. Close to the river, mountains nature trails. I have a very private house on an acre which would fetch about $145,000.00. Great schools and small town feel. Fantastic area for nature lovers, and going downtown is an easy 20 minute drive. Best of both worlds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or