U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 11:14 AM

3,074 posts, read 3,336,186 times

Advertisements

We've been looking at a move for a while now. I've posted many questions and comments on this board and received much information. Because the market to sell houses is so bad in Orlando right now, we've pretty much just had to table a move until the market picks back up again at the end of the year or next. Houses are tending to sell if you drop the price 20%. We did formulate a plan that I would return to work in my field wherever I could get a job, and my hubby would work in a painting/restoration business there, rather than the other way around as we first planned.

A job opening for which I am very well qualified has opened up in Chattanooga, and this has caused us to raise some questions. What if I applied for the job and got it and had to report in 60 days? Has anyone ever done this--where they've had to report for work in another state before they were really ready to move? If so, what were your experiences? We're not ready to list our house, so would probably rent it out.

Depending upon our discussions/prayers this weekend, I'll submit a resume at the first of the week.

My hubby's family is leaning towards the Soddy Daisy area (yes, it appears the entire clan will be moving).

Any thoughts on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2007, 12:50 PM

15,205 posts, read 10,308,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolac View Post
We've been looking at a move for a while now. I've posted many questions and comments on this board and received much information. Because the market to sell houses is so bad in Orlando right now, we've pretty much just had to table a move until the market picks back up again at the end of the year or next. Houses are tending to sell if you drop the price 20%. We did formulate a plan that I would return to work in my field wherever I could get a job, and my hubby would work in a painting/restoration business there, rather than the other way around as we first planned.

A job opening for which I am very well qualified has opened up in Chattanooga, and this has caused us to raise some questions. What if I applied for the job and got it and had to report in 60 days? Has anyone ever done this--where they've had to report for work in another state before they were really ready to move? If so, what were your experiences? We're not ready to list our house, so would probably rent it out.

Depending upon our discussions/prayers this weekend, I'll submit a resume at the first of the week.

My hubby's family is leaning towards the Soddy Daisy area (yes, it appears the entire clan will be moving).

Any thoughts on this?

Hi Carolac,
I doubt new employer will hold a job open for 2 months.

The way things are looking in the house market is not good.It might be quite sometime before it turns around.

It will be more difficult to sell your house with tennants.

Old 05-05-2007, 12:54 PM

14,506 posts, read 23,184,639 times
Exclamation very true-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Hi Carolac,
I doubt new employer will hold a job open for 2 months.

The way things are looking in the house market is not good.It might be quite sometime before it turns around.

It will be more difficult to sell your house with tennants.
Also renting your house out in Florida is not a given. Especially the way the market is down there.

sunny

Old 05-05-2007, 04:21 PM

11,603 posts, read 31,777,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
Also renting your house out in Florida is not a given. Especially the way the market is down there.

sunny
Not to mention being long-distance landlords is a real pain in the rear, particularly if you end up with some real jerks as tenants.

Carolac, if there's any way you can afford cheap, temporary housing in the Chattanooga area, maybe you could consider that. I don't know if being separated from your family is something you would consider, but that's also an option; you would move to Chattanooga while the rest of your family stays in Orlando to sell the house. My family did that, my dad moved to Tennessee while the rest of us stayed in Tampa until the house sold. It wasn't easy on us, but it did work out.

Old 05-05-2007, 04:42 PM

22,533 posts, read 46,075,513 times
I think this is a little bit of putting the cart before the horse, too. You may be very-well qualified for the position, but you haven't actually applied for it, yet. I would go ahead and apply first, and see what happens.

Old 05-05-2007, 05:18 PM

You are right. We are speculating what might occur. We were discussing whether we could at all be ready if I applied and got the job, or should we just continue to hold off. I am watching the job and housing markets very closely.

Thanks to everyone for your insight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I think this is a little bit of putting the cart before the horse, too. You may be very-well qualified for the position, but you haven't actually applied for it, yet. I would go ahead and apply first, and see what happens.

Old 05-05-2007, 05:36 PM

22,533 posts, read 46,075,513 times
I just want you to know that I am a champion worrier, and I would be doing the same thing as you. Sometimes I jump too far down the road.

Try a little bit more of my advice on for size...

I originally looked at moving from Florida to Chattanooga. We went up for a visit and I absolutely loved the city. But jobs were tight.

We ended up moving to Knoxville, but jobs can be tight here, too.

The state of Tennessee has a wonderful university system that spits out college graduates on a yearly basis so you end up competing for the state's well-educated sons and daughters.

If you really have to move here, if this is your dream, then apply for the job. If you get it, do whatever it takes to sell that house.

Did you buy it prior to 2004? If you did, then you very well may make a profit, even if it wasn't what you quite wanted after watching some neighbors sell during that sweet spot. Drop the price and move.

If you bought the house in late 2004 forward, well, it may be too much of a hit than you can bear.

That's my free advice. Take it for what it is worth.

Old 05-05-2007, 07:00 PM

14,506 posts, read 23,184,639 times
You cannot sell a house in Florida with tenants living in it. I sold at the top of the market and everything needed to be in mint condition. No one will buy when a house is unkempt and looks askew.

Especially in Florida.

sunny

Old 05-05-2007, 07:21 PM

1,232 posts, read 4,175,409 times
Exclamation Gather more Information

C: I think you need to share more information to decide which state is in your best interest. We left the central Fla area last summer after 12 years. My wife was just not comfortable with all the hurricane evacuations and damage the past few years, . This is a SPECIFIC REASON to go thru the effort of real estate selling and re-locating to new state.
Your post really only mentioned a possible job qualification. Any children to move..?? Leaving or joining family relatives..?? We had many forum posts after a girl relocates, she misses all her friends, and cant make new friends.!
Yes cost of living is less here, and Yes I live in SODDY _ DAISY and a great lower pace of life, Yes many churches for family / neighbor activities.
Lots of outdoor receration, festivals. There need to be more than ONE reason to relocate a family. Your state house insurance industry is a MESS and waiting is not really a guarantee it will get better. Another storm damage will lower property values again, so I vote to move if you do get a favorable offer.
H<, also has great advise, other out of state people are also WAITING for a specific job OFFER, after they have already been invited here for a INTERVIEW. Many co's have contract proposals IF they WIN a bid. We just had the final decision of the new Toyota plant go to another state, but lots of potential employees are examined.

Old 05-05-2007, 07:26 PM

And your free advice is most valuable and well received! Yes, we bought our house in 1996. We visited Nashville and now Knoxville and Chattanooga. We didn't get to the Tri-City area where we originally were aiming. That's our next trip. I have spent a couple of years really looking at the job market and have found exactly what you're saying to be true--jobs are tight. So we'll see. Thanks for taking your time to set out your thoughts. The info was exactly what I was looking for!

[quote=hiknapster;673835]I just want you to know that I am a champion worrier, and I would be doing the same thing as you. Sometimes I jump too far down the road.

Try a little bit more of my advice on for size...

I originally looked at moving from Florida to Chattanooga. We went up for a visit and I absolutely loved the city. But jobs were tight.

We ended up moving to Knoxville, but jobs can be tight here, too.

The state of Tennessee has a wonderful university system that spits out college graduates on a yearly basis so you end up competing for the state's well-educated sons and daughters.

If you really have to move here, if this is your dream, then apply for the job. If you get it, do whatever it takes to sell that house.

Did you buy it prior to 2004?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or