Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 04:25 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,098,829 times

Advertisements

Our first BIG long trip with the camper is to TN in July so i do hope the gas comes down a bit. I'm a bit nervous about the roads up there though. We've been on some pretty narrow ones with drops off on them. Once we get power and water on our property we'll be able to park it there for up to 60 days at a time providing it's a newer trailer which it is a 2006. It really is a relaxed subdivision i bought in. I just hope the neighbors realize that's not our permanent home and only temporary as we prepare the home site. A brand new log cabin just went up in the lot across from us. I'm sure the last thing they want is a trailer next to them but we'll only be there 1 or 2 weeks at a time not a full 60 days at a time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2007, 04:30 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellefort View Post
Our first BIG long trip with the camper is to TN in July so i do hope the gas comes down a bit. I'm a bit nervous about the roads up there though. We've been on some pretty narrow ones with drops off on them. Once we get power and water on our property we'll be able to park it there for up to 60 days at a time providing it's a newer trailer which it is a 2006. It really is a relaxed subdivision i bought in. I just hope the neighbors realize that's not our permanent home and only temporary as we prepare the home site. A brand new log cabin just went up in the lot across from us. I'm sure the last thing they want is a trailer next to them but we'll only be there 1 or 2 weeks at a time not a full 60 days at a time.
That is going to be a sweet set-up!

Old 05-16-2007, 04:37 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier07 View Post
I have a friend that just moved to Japan due to a job transfer, he can not drive to work, I'm not kidding, he can NOT drive to work and you know why ?
There is no parking place on his office (on purpose) so people are forced to take mass transportation, he's using the train and subway now. Cars are used for weekend trips. Can you imagine this here ?
Could you imagine the outrage?

You know, a good portion of Americans were pretty flush a few years back when gas prices started to rise. That is no longer the case for many now. I wonder if it will make a difference?

I remember the big gas crunch of the 70s. I remember the gas lines and the 55-mph mandate. The auto makers were forced to make more economical cars because people stopped buying gas guzzlers.

People did not have a massive consumption mentality back then. Still it could happen.

And yes, I am that old.

Old 05-17-2007, 08:18 AM

13,352 posts, read 39,959,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier07 View Post
Well, we reached he point now....mass transportation....this is the key! Fast trains and subway systems....let's just take a quick look on a few countries doing it for a while: Japan, France, Germany to list a few....I have a friend that just moved to Japan due to a job transfer, he can not drive to work, I'm not kidding, he can NOT drive to work and you know why ?
There is no parking place on his office (on purpose) so people are forced to take mass transportation, he's using the train and subway now. Cars are used for weekend trips. Can you imagine this here ?
I really think something needs to be done. We can't keep adding lanes to highways ad nauseum. The state of Tennessee has talked seriously about building high-speed trains between Memphis and Knoxville and eventually to Bristol and Chattanooga. It would be so nice (and so civilized) to take a high-speed train from Knoxville to Memphis and arrive refreshed and rested rather than frazzled and fatigued after battling I-40 traffic.

Plus, improving rail lines would take many container trucks off the interstates as it would become faster and more economical to ship by rail again.

Old 05-17-2007, 08:31 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,319,846 times
I agree with JMT, I would love to see travel trains here in TN. It would help so much with road congestion and help those on tight budgets in the larger cities commute to work and school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee