U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 10-14-2009, 09:40 PM

21,468 posts, read 28,348,596 times
I've really wrestled with that issue.

I really, really thought that it is because of the Bible Belt that people are so nice, kind and polite. Actually, at one point, I was very convinced of it.

But the more I live here, the more I think that the people were just brought up to be nice, and yes, you don't have to be a Christian to have moral values.

So I'm kind of on the fence, and I don't know. But I wanted to let you know that I think it's a great theory that I have thought of, too. I'm just not sure if that is the reason.

In any event, I'm glad I live here around such wonderful people such as yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberFlynn View Post
Even religiousity aside, I truly believe being in the 'Bible Belt' is what gives us the advantage. Now, I admit I'm a Christian and so I'm probably biased, but I think that no matter what your religious background, religious people tend to be more polite, caring, generous, respectful, etc.

Being an Air Force brat, I've lived all over the country, and even outside the country, and the Southern hospitality is what they say it is. As a general rule, parents are more involved in the children's education, we still spank our kids *gasp*, and we are taught to follow the golden rule. I think that the framework of religion makes us realize that we are not the center of the universe, we have less of an entitlement mentality, and take more personal responsibility (although that doesn't seem to translate to less public assistance). Obviously, you don't have to be religious to ascribe to basic character values...

My family who come to visit from other places (in the last few months I've had two from PA and five from CA) seem to draw the 'Bible Belt' connection as well -- and they represent the gamut of religiousity from Chrisitan to completely non-religious. Church is one of those places where we learn Community - where we live life together, and that makes for a better secular citizen, IMO. We learn honesty, integrity, stewardship, compassion, living life on purpose WITH OTHERS. Southerners tend to be more interested in community, being friendly, engaging others, helping and being helped. Maybe it's just a coincidence. I doubt it

***disclaimer: Obviously, you don't have to be religious to ascribe to basic character values... and yes, I know we have all met crabby jerk Christians who are mean, hateful, and rude***
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 10-15-2009, 04:44 AM

8,414 posts, read 5,799,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
People are crazy when they drive, cutting you off, honking horns and being very agressive. It's like that everywhere.
Um, it actually is like that in Murfreesboro. (Though I'm sure not nearly as bad as some places)

Unread 10-15-2009, 06:45 AM

1,303 posts, read 2,281,149 times
hiknapster, I like what you said:

But the more I live here, the more I think that the people were just brought up to be nice, and yes, you don't have to be a Christian to have moral values.

I lived in the northeast US until I moved to TN 2 years ago. Neither my huband or I could ever go back there to live. People are friendly, nice and courteous here. True you'll find now and then a person who doesn't meet this criteria, but for the most part, people here in TN welcome you and make you feel at home.

Unread 10-15-2009, 09:12 AM

8,257 posts, read 10,157,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus10 View Post
I moved from Memphis to outside the Orlando area and moved right back as soon as possible. I spent about 3 months there and realized I needed to move back. The economy down there was really bad when compared to other places. I remember gas being about 1.20/gallon more expensive than what it was in Memphis. The houses are built smaller because of the hurricanes. Something I wasn't used to being from Tennessee. I told my friends and family that Florida is a nice place to visit but not the ideal place to live for some people.
My Lord!!!!!!It must be AWFUL in Florida if someone wants to move back to Memphis! Because most people east of Shelby County avoid it like the plague!

Unread 10-15-2009, 09:29 AM

6,302 posts, read 5,922,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
My Lord!!!!!!It must be AWFUL in Florida if someone wants to move back to Memphis! Because most people east of Shelby County avoid it like the plague!
I don't know if AWFUL is the right word. I have friends who live in the southwest and my brother lives in the western Panhandle. Neither would move out of Florida. However, my husband lived in the St. Pete area for many years (over 20 years ago) and Florida is one of the states he said absolutely positively NO WAY to consider retiring there. His reasons: climate, hurricanes, prices. I could see me moving to the gulf area because I am a water person and I love violent weather so hurricanes are not a deterrent to me. I also tolerate humidity way better than he does. But at this point in our lives, housing prices and high property taxes are not what we are looking for, so no Florida - we'll go visit.

Unread 10-15-2009, 09:55 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,390,369 times
One of the hardest things to get used to moving here from FL was how nice people are to you. I was caught off guard several times when someone in a grocery store line turned around and asked me how I was doing. I've lived in TN now for going on 5 years. I visited FL once for a family matter, and I couldn't wait to get back. Academically, the schools are not always that up to date, but atleast my kids don't have to go through a metal detector.
The rude drivers around here are usually teenagers, people from FL, or on Sunday mornings I always get tailgated by people going to church. I like to do my shopping Sunday mornings, because almost everyone is in church, or on their way to church. Every Sunday morning we will be driving somewhere and someone will start tailgating. I'll say "someones late for church and sure enough they always turn into a church parking lot.

Unread 10-15-2009, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LABART View Post
One of the hardest things to get used to moving here from FL was how nice people are to you. I was caught off guard several times when someone in a grocery store line turned around and asked me how I was doing. I've lived in TN now for going on 5 years. I visited FL once for a family matter, and I couldn't wait to get back. Academically, the schools are not always that up to date, but atleast my kids don't have to go through a metal detector.
The rude drivers around here are usually teenagers, people from FL, or on Sunday mornings I always get tailgated by people going to church. I like to do my shopping Sunday mornings, because almost everyone is in church, or on their way to church. Every Sunday morning we will be driving somewhere and someone will start tailgating. I'll say "someones late for church and sure enough they always turn into a church parking lot.
YEP! They are on the way to church to pray for a GATOR loss next Saturday!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unread 10-15-2009, 10:40 AM

21,468 posts, read 28,348,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Um, it actually is like that in Murfreesboro. (Though I'm sure not nearly as bad as some places)
That's why I moved to Knoxville. Murfreesboro - and the Nashville area, too - had too many transplants and a slight Florida vibe that I wanted to avoid.

Unread 10-15-2009, 11:01 AM

369 posts, read 658,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
Better than living in Whiteville, TN. Thats for damn sure.

Unread 10-15-2009, 11:31 AM

Thats good! You keep your corrupt city government. Lousy schools. Pimps, pushers,prostitutes, gang bangers and outrageous taxes. I'll keep my 18 acres of trees and my lake full of bass and crappie and we will both be happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee