Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 12:48 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,422,203 times

Advertisements

Woke up this morning to a frozen Miata in the driveway. Had to scrape ice off the windsheild. Took forever for the car to warm up.

The leaves just started changing color. We've got a freeze warning for tonight. Looking low 30s / upper 20s for the evening after midnight.

Will warm back up later in the week, but this I think is definitely the first sign that winter is most definitely on the way! And to make this year even better, the central heat and air is finally being installed in the house. So for the first time in 3 years I'll have a warm, comfy home in the winter without the $600 a month electric bills. Gotta love that!!

So, anyone else looking forward to it? I can't wait for the Spencer Christmas parade. Looking for a Christmas tree. The fall festivals. Carving pumpkins with the kids.

It's gonna be a good winter!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2009, 04:06 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,204,585 times
That's a good attitude.

Friday and this weekend was the first time since spring that I put on a jacket because I needed to and not just to be wearing one (it was cool, plus it was rainy, so it felt cooler than it really was). It's just starting to look like fall here in Nashville; most of the trees are still green.

I don't look forward to winter quite as much as you do however. I don't mind the cold so much, but I don't like the shorter days. For me, about the worst day of the year is when they change back to standard time.

Old 10-18-2009, 04:58 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,187,987 times
Saw the sun today for the first time in what feels like forever. With the chill in the air, it was time to finish splitting some wood and getting some saplings transplanted now that the sap is drawing down. Couple of really nice weather days coming up, so time to get the camera out and shoot some fall scenes as the plateau is pretty brilliant right now.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:43 AM

36,492 posts, read 30,827,524 times
I hope we get some big snows this winter, but i hope we have more fall days first!

Im not looking forward to those short days either. For a few months it seems like I live in perpetual darkness. I hate feeding in the dark, then Im at work by the time it gets daylight and dont get back home till dark.

Old 10-19-2009, 01:14 PM

451 posts, read 1,371,345 times
One of the thing i like best about this time of year is the quiet! You can open the windows and listen to the sounds of nature. No air conditioners or fans rattling, no heaters blowing.... Just good old sunshine and fresh breezes.

Old 10-19-2009, 02:13 PM

98 posts, read 99,590 times
Winter focuses the mind wonderfully on the long distance journey ahead, down the fading years. It throws regrets into sharp relief but it has its pluses.

Hot food, filling food, e-mailed messages from friends who don't wish you ill, hot cocoa, the warmth of the sofa and the calm - always the calm.

Old 10-19-2009, 04:39 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,733,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
...without the $600 a month electric bills.
Egad! Were you heating your home with jet fuel?

I love winter. I like the cold weather and the short days. I'm one of those people who could easily live where the days are always cloudy. Most of all I love the fact that it's not hot and, eventually, the bugs are gone (but not for long).

Old 10-19-2009, 05:11 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,185,071 times
Despite Vivian's plea for love and its attendant heat, the cold blast definitely arrived last night. Got below freezing for the first time since spring.

I was working outside Friday afternoon when the front rolled in...I told my wife I thought fall had arrived in about 2 hours!

Old 10-20-2009, 06:23 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,066,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Egad! Were you heating your home with jet fuel?

I love winter. I like the cold weather and the short days. I'm one of those people who could easily live where the days are always cloudy. Most of all I love the fact that it's not hot and, eventually, the bugs are gone (but not for long).
Not for long is right...the Asian ladybugs started swarming today.....

Old 10-20-2009, 08:17 PM

7,534 posts, read 17,221,758 times
Count me in as a wintery person too. <g> I love some summer but winter is MY season. *g*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee