U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 01:00 PM

823 posts, read 3,308,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesmokies View Post
You might try some 'almost Tennessee' towns also such as Asheville, NC. Same as Johnson City area....much less humidity as you get into the mountains.
I checked out Ashville a while back and I just visited the NC forum, what was said about the place makes me want no part of it. There is a big drug problem and the cultural life is almost nil.

Heidi,

I looked at the CityData info on Johnson City, the humidity there is comparable to where we live now so that makes it a no go.

Norm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2007, 01:22 PM

22,533 posts, read 46,060,389 times
Hey Norm:

I am so sorry. I definitely misunderstood. If you are looking for LESS humidity than in NYC, you can forget it. There is now way that any of the southeast will be for you.

It looks like you are going to be stuck with the southwest.

What about the Washington or Oregon area?

Old 05-11-2007, 01:35 PM

63 posts, read 269,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norm View Post
Heidi,

Thanks so much for the thorough reply. By the way I was born in Brooklyn but grew up in The Bronx.

Humidity is the one thing there is no give in since it makes my wife sick. I will check out Johnson City on the web.

For any place that makes our final list we plan on visiting for at least a week to get a feel for the area.

Thanks again.

Norm
So off topic but I was born in Harlem, NYC - raised in NJ, Brooklyn, Bronx in that order (smiles!) living in NJ with a NY state of mind - moving to TN leaving it all behind!!

Old 05-11-2007, 01:39 PM

Heidi,

I have been looking at some areas in NM & AZ. Southern Oregon, which was one of the places I checked out a while back, had some of the steepest increases in housing costs in the country but maybe it will start to level off with the housing bubble now going on.

Norm

Old 05-11-2007, 02:33 PM

2,060 posts, read 5,003,698 times
Hey Norm,
Well as a native Tennessean, I have to tell you that indeed- expect humid summers and very unpredictable winters. Winter can actually be just as cold as NY. 10-15 degrees and snow. It can also get up into the 60's. So To say that TN overall has 'mild' winters wouldn't be exactly the truth.

Old 05-11-2007, 02:49 PM

22,533 posts, read 46,060,389 times
To Norm, winter here would be mild.

There is snow and there is Tennessee snow which consists of an inch, IF you are lucky, that melts in a couple of hours. That is if you are VERY lucky. Those temperatures don't haven't often and they are NIGHT.

Sliverbox is a Tennessee boy! To you it is sometimes cold and snowy. To Northerners a 30 degree day is balmy! And that is the "truth." (I can't believe you said that?)

Doesn't matter anyway. Norm can't move here. I sure wish he could. I love New Yorkers!

Old 05-11-2007, 06:03 PM

33,945 posts, read 32,373,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norm View Post
I am retired and my wife will be retiring in the next few years at which time we plan on moving away from the NYC area. I would like to know if there is an area in TN that meets our requirement or at least most of them.

Liveable humidity level (very important for health reasons).
Mild winters.
Near a city with a college (for cultural events).
Good medical facilities nearby.
Not too conservative.
Religious diversity. We are non practicing Jews but obviously would not want to live where Jews are discriminated against.
Within easy driving distance of an airport.
Good shopping i.e. Lowes or Home Depot, Dept. Stores, Target, etc.
Decent restaurants.
Houses below $250,000.
Reasonable taxes.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Norm
Have you thought about Delaware? You'd be within driving distance of NY and the 95 corridor. You could live not far from the beach. Here's a Newsweek article on retiring to Delaware:

http://www.newsweekshowcase.com/retirement-de/index.php

Old 05-11-2007, 06:09 PM

14,506 posts, read 23,177,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
Hey Norm,
Well as a native Tennessean, I have to tell you that indeed- expect humid summers and very unpredictable winters. Winter can actually be just as cold as NY. 10-15 degrees and snow. It can also get up into the 60's. So To say that TN overall has 'mild' winters wouldn't be exactly the truth.

I actually like the winters in NE Tennessee. of course- I am a winter person. Norm- the humidity may not be completely intolerable- I almost died in S Florida heat- but can take it here- yes you may want central a/c 2-3 months- but I heard the SW also is extreme- that its 100 degress in the shade, etc.

I do not like summer at all, but it is okay here in NE Tennessee. At least we have Spring and Fall. Yesterday the windows were open and if you have a lot of shade trees you wont feel the heat as much. just my 2 cents!

sunny

Old 05-11-2007, 08:16 PM

47 posts, read 169,921 times
I found the Cumberland Plateau was almost 10 degrees cooler in the summer with less humidity because of its elevation. I used to haul horses to shows and would watch the temperature rise going off the plateau.... So maybe another area for you to check into.

Old 05-11-2007, 08:16 PM

Laura,

We checked out Lewes, DE a while back. The humidity there is not better than where we live now and housing is fairly expensive.

Right now it looks like our best best is Las Cruces, NM.

Thanks for all of the replies.

Norm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee