U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 06:34 AM

6,290 posts, read 20,548,170 times

Advertisements

Just throwing one out for your consideration . . . what about Colorado Springs or Boulder, Colorado? Those places would have most of what you're looking for I think (I'm not sure what the tax situation is there).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2007, 07:32 AM

823 posts, read 3,308,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
Just throwing one out for your consideration . . . what about Colorado Springs or Boulder, Colorado? Those places would have most of what you're looking for I think (I'm not sure what the tax situation is there).

I don't care for the winters there.

Norm

Old 05-12-2007, 08:41 AM

6,290 posts, read 20,548,170 times
I'll add St, George, Utah. I had a friend from there, so every time I hear the name I pay attention. One of the magazines like Kiplinger's had it listed as a top retirement spot one time. I'm not sure whether it's located near a college or not.

Old 05-12-2007, 12:36 PM

29 posts, read 102,107 times
Smile For Norm

Hello..I am looking into New Mexico around the Albuquerque area...Not IN Alb., but the smaller surrounding towns within a half hour to an hour from Alb. new mexico..it is everything you asked for in your query..check it out!!..maybe it is more of what you want for retirement..
Good luck...montanagirl....

Old 05-12-2007, 02:09 PM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
793 posts, read 2,516,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norm View Post
I don't care for the winters there.

Norm
I dated a guy who lives in Colorado Springs. I spent November thru mid February there. I saw very very little snow, and when it did snow, it was just a dusting. CS is in the high desert, and is very dry, little humidity. Alot of the time, we just wore sweaters. But we did keep winter coats in the car when we were driving around, as a storm can come up quick and dump 2' on you at one time - then melt the next day.

I love winter, love skiing, ice skating - I almost moved to Quebec before I broke off that engagement.... Now, I'm married to Lou, and he's getting sick and tired of shovelling the snow off of the driveway, tired of the cold seeping into his bones, and tired of getting laid off from November thru April (he's construction). So, we're looking into the south, and Tennessee.

blessings to you on your search!

Shen (not a guy, altho on some forums have been mistaken for one - I'm 5'2" and never could be mistaken for an ex NFL linebacker!) LOL So, on those forums, my avatar is a painting an artist did of me, in a Boris Vellajo type female barbarian outfit!

Old 05-12-2007, 02:57 PM

2,063 posts, read 6,241,213 times
Hi Norm, we are in a similar boat, in several ways. For us, we are weary of "the city" creeping up and turning our once more rural area into another suburban/urban mess, as we pay larger and larger taxes. We too are looking to retire to milder and more tranquil (slower paced?) places, and I am not one for a great deal of 'hot and humid'. We like the slower pace of TN life, and hope to fit in, as you have worried about. We are not church goers and also have concerns about how much of a difference that can mean. I think my only "must" is being close enough to some form of airport so that our son, who will be serving in the Air Force after graduating college in 2 years can come "home" to us.

Advice we have received from retirees we know is to "try" areas by actually renting a town home or apartment, rather than buying, if we aren't sure how things will work either climatically or socially. You may need to do that, too, to see what life will be like for you as well. If we have any doubts after our next trip I have the feeling we will be renting something.

As far as comparisons. We've already visited Las Cruces and I think you might want to really, really look closely at the true cost of a home there if you want to stay under $250,000 as well as decide if you want more city living. The houses tend to be clustered very closely, and the ones with any space are going for more in the $350,000 range and up. It certainly wasn't humid!!! Landscaping consisted of arrangements of different colors of dry dirt and minuscule lawns among the more opulent homes. We came to town after passing through El Paso, which was awful from what we saw on the interstate, and is the place you will need to head for any kind of air travel. Albuquerque was not what we pictured at all and we kept going, but parts of Santa Fe were really wonderful... but.... the $$$ had us moving on when we looked at home prices, as was the case with Los Alamos, which sits atop a beautiful canyon area. In between were some wonderful vistas that I might not easily get tired of seeing, but many of the other things you have on your wish list might not be available.

I loved the area around Bend and Redmond OR (dry, but can be snowy), but prices have certainly gone up there with the CA exodus to WA and OR as well as CO. You may also find you have culture shock after the novelty wears off of being in cowboy territory... we know some who have gone full circle on how much they like the 'western' states. We loved Colorado Springs, and areas just northeast of it... but the snow, this year especially, was a big turn off, as we are getting a bit tired of the snow shovels as well. There were some nice homes in the $250,000 range when we looked outside of the Elizabeth and Castle Rock areas.

In each place we found things we could love and would probably fit in in most places, but others' experiences certainly have made us think harder about how much we can and do adapt to the "native" ways.

So far TN has landed on our short list. We have been down to TN twice, but only once have we really traveled on side roads to see the real countryside. We were there just a few weeks ago for our first real look around, and found several places we would like to move to if we can swing it. Having family dotted around between VA, NC and SC we know it will be as humid or more than it was in the NYC area, and for longer periods... so I sympathize with your choices. We've been told by many that the Tri-cities area is the best bet by quite a few natives, but there will still be days where the AC will be the only recourse, much as it is some summers in the NYC metro area.

Good luck!

Old 05-12-2007, 03:55 PM

3,020 posts, read 8,267,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norm View Post
Heidi,

Thanks so much for the thorough reply. By the way I was born in Brooklyn but grew up in The Bronx.

Humidity is the one thing there is no give in since it makes my wife sick. I will check out Johnson City on the web.

For any place that makes our final list we plan on visiting for at least a week to get a feel for the area.

Thanks again.

Norm

I'm originally from (born and raised) Kingsport, TN, near the Virginia border in Northeast Tennessee. Johnson City-Kingsport-Bristol are part of the "tri-cities" metropolitan area in TN/VA/NC. The only city with "some" culture of your liking (most likely) will be Johnson City. They have the stores. They have the "big city" (for the tri-cities) feel (population about 60,000). Johnson City is surprisingly somewhat "liberal"--due to East Tennessee State University being there. There are also 2 gay bars in the city--UNHEARD of in the Tri-cities! Anyway, check out the Johnson City area. It's very conservative, but I think it is changing somewhat. Good luck.

Old 05-12-2007, 04:49 PM

22,533 posts, read 46,067,135 times
Great advice from J&Em.

Unfortunately, it looks like Norm has to move to a specific humidity level due to health concerns and he is well aware of what that level is.

I'll throw this out there: Boise, Idaho.

My stepbrother lives there and loves it. Fantastic weather. Very mild winters and low humidity.

Old 05-12-2007, 05:06 PM

14,506 posts, read 23,180,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
I'm originally from (born and raised) Kingsport, TN, near the Virginia border in Northeast Tennessee. Johnson City-Kingsport-Bristol are part of the "tri-cities" metropolitan area in TN/VA/NC. The only city with "some" culture of your liking (most likely) will be Johnson City. They have the stores. They have the "big city" (for the tri-cities) feel (population about 60,000). Johnson City is surprisingly somewhat "liberal"--due to East Tennessee State University being there. There are also 2 gay bars in the city--UNHEARD of in the Tri-cities! Anyway, check out the Johnson City area. It's very conservative, but I think it is changing somewhat. Good luck.
well- I didnt know about the bars- lol- but this isnt a completely conservative place- or I wouldnt be here

sunny

Old 05-12-2007, 06:57 PM

763 posts, read 1,293,871 times
Default Humidity! What humidity? What's wrong with wet T-shirts . . . on certain people?

Norm,

My sister lives in Sierra Vista, AZ and thinks it's absolutely the greatest place in the world (of course, she hasn't been outside the US, but we've lived in quite a few states as our folks were in the service). My folks and she lived for many years in the Phoenix area and then she found Sierra Vista about 5 years ago. It's up high, 4600 ft, much cooler than most of Arizona, low humidity, and NO SNOW (or rarely any snow). The climate is temperate. Prices are well below US averages, low crime, 63 miles from Tucson with big colleges and lots of cultural activities. Property taxes are higher than in Monterey, TN where we just moved, but lower than in Knoxville.

Anyway, it might be worth checking into. My folks needed the low humidity for health reasons and that's how they ended up in Arizona to begin with. They said that humidity levels around the Phoenix area had changed dramatically over about 30 years because all the out-of-staters moving in just HAD to have their indigenous plant life move with them. But, thus far, such fate has not fallen upon Sierra Vista.

Check it out:

http://www.city-data.com/city/Sierra-Vista-Arizona.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee