Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2007, 10:44 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times

Advertisements

Well, spent more than 10 months in this forum. Listened to a lot of what people had to say and learned a lot, especially about things I didn't even think to ask about. Visited my new Tennessee town, Oak Ridge, for a week last October. Read the local daily paper online for months and subscribed to the weekly paper so I know about the events, the crime and the plans for the future of the town. Every time I thought of something, I checked the online yellow pages then did Mapquest to see how to get there. I will continue to subscribe to the weekly paper after I move. Read as much as I could about my congressman, Zach Wamp (very pleased with him), the mayor who is leaving office, the Governor of the state and my two state senators, Lamar Alexander and Bob Corker.

I retired March 31 and now I'm ready to start my new life in a new place with new furniture in a brand new apartment complex. Since I will be renting, if it doesn't turn out as well as I hope it will, I'll move again next year, no harm no foul.

I have registered (the college is less than 1 mile from where I live) for summer classes (and 2 trips) that will start in June and bought new rods, reels and tackle (there is a lake in the town and 4 state parks with fishing within 40 minutes of where I'll live). I'm waiting for my presidential candidate to say he's running so I can volunteer for his campaign. It should be a trip since he's from TN and his name doesn't rhyme with bore. I plan to attend the first meeting of the town camera club in July. While I missed the Dogwood festival in April, I'm arriving on time for the Secret City Festival (June 15 - 16), a Memorial Day concert by the community band in the park (the evening of the holiday) and the NCAA Women's Rowing Championship Regatta (next weekend) all right in Oak Ridge.

Soooooo, next week I finally become a Tennessee resident. I am looking forward to it. The worst part about moving, to me, is the act of physically moving, not being in a new location. Today is the last time I will post for a couple of weeks as I will not have access to my computer until I have a desk to put it on and I don't know how long that will take. But, I want to thank everyone for their informative posts and photos. I've been recording things in a notebook and will continue to do so for the first 2 full months I'm there so I can report on prices and experiences as a newbie. Maybe I can help others (especially single retirees) make their moves more smoothly like some of you did for me.

Disconnecting now. Talk to you soon.

Last edited by LauraC; 05-12-2007 at 10:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2007, 10:48 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
As soon as you can, get back on here so we can know how you are doing.

Have a safe trip.

And by the way, we all need to thank YOU for all of your humor, research and wonderful advice. What a woman!

Old 05-12-2007, 02:12 PM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
795 posts, read 2,804,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I'm waiting for my presidential candidate to say he's running so I can volunteer for his campaign. It should be a trip since he's from TN and his name doesn't rhyme with bore.
I'm with you on that one, Laura!!! I've already written a few of his websites volunteering to help out with his campaign. And the bonus is that he is from TN! There's a website promoting him that was built and run by a couple of guys from Cookeville and Crossville.

I'm lovin' TN more and more!

blessings, Shen

Old 05-12-2007, 02:18 PM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
795 posts, read 2,804,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I've been recording things in a notebook and will continue to do so for the first 2 full months I'm there so I can report on prices and experiences as a newbie. Maybe I can help others (especially single retirees) make their moves more smoothly like some of you did for me.

Disconnecting now. Talk to you soon.

What a huge help that will be for alot of folk, not just singles. But, being single, you run into unique circumstances and problems. Especially if you're retired, like LauraC. Joining clubs, and taking college classes helps to meet like minded people in your area.

There are so many interesting college courses offered, that you wonder if you have the time to take them!

Hopefully, it won't take Laura long to get settled in, and get back on here.

blessings, Shen

Old 05-12-2007, 05:11 PM

390 posts, read 1,701,775 times
We wish the best with your move and look forward to reading about your experiences in TN! Take care and many blessings to you!

Robin & Jon(TriDad)

Old 05-14-2007, 08:35 AM

119 posts, read 384,435 times
Welcome Laura! We moved down to Oak Ridge on April 27. We are in our temporary apartment now and I'm looking for a house to rent while we sell our house in Indiana. I'm looking for a job too, the one I thought I had didn't work out. But hubby and son are excited with job/preschool respectively. Do let us know when you've made it down.

Old 05-14-2007, 11:00 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,321,489 times
Safe travels and Welcome to TN!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee