U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 04:33 PM

5,232 posts, read 13,559,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
we already have some South Florida developers moving into TN

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We moved here from there - to escape it. Quick - someone lock down the borders!!! Turn out the lights. Everyone be really quiet. Maybe if they don't hear us they'll think we aren't here and go away.

Seriously, this is unfortunately very true. All around me I keep seeing property being auctioned off. Large parcels of acreage being hacked up into little 10 and 20 acre tracts. Small subdivisions in the middle of farm country. Ugh. It just kills me, but it is headed in that direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2007, 11:12 PM

1,459 posts, read 4,042,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We moved here from there - to escape it. Quick - someone lock down the borders!!! Turn out the lights. Everyone be really quiet. Maybe if they don't hear us they'll think we aren't here and go away.

Seriously, this is unfortunately very true. All around me I keep seeing property being auctioned off. Large parcels of acreage being hacked up into little 10 and 20 acre tracts. Small subdivisions in the middle of farm country. Ugh. It just kills me, but it is headed in that direction.

I know what you're saying about FL, we just moved back here last year after living 13 years down there. I like that area where you live, My wife and I were through there this past weekend. We take weekend drives around different areas to check out the building going on.

From what I hear through the grapevine some developers have their sights set on Rock Island there near you for the near future. We live West of McMinnville near the Warren/Cannon county line. A vacant parcel of land that borders my property on the west side went up for sale yesterday, they're also extending a four lane road from McMinnville west out near my area. I see a for sale sign going on my property before long. There's a guy in McMinnville that owns 560 acres that borders my property on the the east side, that's a developers paradise.

I really hate to see all of our beautiful country turn into subdivisions, condos, and gated communities but that's where it's headed. Have you watched any of the movie being filmed in McMinnville yet? I would post some pics of downtown McMinnville but my camera doesn't work anymore, my grand daughter dropped it on the side walk when we were in Gatlinburg..lol.. it no workie now.

Old 05-20-2007, 09:14 PM

1 posts, read 2,719 times
anyone know a lot about the movie that's filming here?

Old 05-21-2007, 09:42 PM

1,459 posts, read 4,042,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacsmartt17 View Post
anyone know a lot about the movie that's filming here?
Don't know alot about it, mostly just what I've read about it so far. They will be shooting scenes downtown on Tues.22nd and Wed.23rd from 11 AM to 4PM, I may go watch that and check it out a little more.

Old 05-25-2007, 11:14 PM

1 posts, read 2,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
There are some pictures of McMinnville at its city-data site. It's a beautiful area, although I think McMinnville itself is kind of dumpy.

Also, the unemployment rate there is outrageously high, something like around 9%. They've had several large factories close down in the last couple of years. With all of the other wonderful small towns in Tennessee, I don't know that McMinnville would be my first choice if I were wanting to start over from scratch without a job.

McMinnville is very beautiful. I lived right down the road all my life and never came here until i moved here last year. I really like it. The unemployment rate is extremely high. The unemployment office isn't able to give you much hope in finding a job that can feed your family either. It doesn't cost a lot to live here. It is really very reasonable, but that pushes the pay rate really low. Most jobs around here, you make as much as you would working fast food. Even the professional jobs, like nursing, don't pay all that great. So if you are in the restaurant business you will not be making anything. Also the only big name restaurant we have is AppleBee's. Thankfully i was FINALLY able to get a job in the city of McMinnville. I am very happy living here. I would highly recommend it. If you are looking for an apartment I would recommend only one on South Chancery. The rest of them don't provide much safety,mostly bickering between one another.There are a lot of good houses in the city but if you don't know the area well i would stick to looking out in the county.For info on problem areas contact the Southern Standard (newspaper) or call and request some info from the local 911 center. Good luck!

Old 05-26-2007, 07:19 AM

98 posts, read 343,804 times
Went to McMinnville's Farmers Mkt this morning for some fresh lettuce and onions and took a few pictures. See the geese on the volley ball court at Riverfront park. See a couple of homes in downtown. See the historic 1825 house on West Main St. See looking down main street. And see farmers market where local growers sell their produce.
Tonight they are having tours of McMinnville with people dressed as interesting citizens from beginning days forward.
Attached Thumbnails
Want to see pic's of Minnville-geesevolleyball.jpg   Want to see pic's of Minnville-riverfrontpark.jpg   Want to see pic's of Minnville-homesdowntownmcminnville.jpg   Want to see pic's of Minnville-1825housewestmain.jpg   Want to see pic's of Minnville-mcminnvillemainst.jpg  

Want to see pic's of Minnville-farmersmkt.jpg  

Old 05-26-2007, 08:04 AM

22,534 posts, read 46,084,101 times
Wow! That town is cute!

Old 12-02-2007, 07:54 PM

25 posts, read 70,507 times
So funny. Million dollar homes in Mcminnville!?
They have the same $50,000 homes on the market for 3 years that they can't rent or sell.
The picture of 'downtown' doesn't show 'downtown' for a reason. Closed stores, empty decaying real estate, but million dollar homes? Show me one!
The mall? Tell ME how many stores are in there. 5?

Clearcut land, look beyond the beauty strips.
Better yet, try google and search for 'clearcutting' in Mcminnvile.

Nothing selling, buildings deteriorating. Mcminnville.

Everyone touts Fall Creek Falls State Park, but really......how often can you visit the same State park?

Laughing.....

Old 12-03-2007, 08:54 AM

451 posts, read 1,172,866 times
I used to work in one of those tall old buildings on the right hand side of the photo of Main Street.... It was called Family Dry Good Store, owned by the Ewing family. It was my first job, and i made minimum wage, which at that time was around $1.25. I'll never forget the creak of those wooden floors and that old elaborate antique cash register, and refolding those stiff jeans and overalls after some customers had scrambled thru them...and the smells of the fabrics.... Just down the street a couple of doors was City Drug Store.... fountain cokes, sandwiches, and ice cream.... Man i thought i was so sophisticated and grown-up working in the "city".....lol

Old 12-03-2007, 10:12 AM

451 posts, read 1,172,866 times
Also i've wondered why some far-sighted entrepreneur hasn't ever turned McMinnville area into the next wine country? With its fertile soils (as evidenced by the success of all those nursery businesses) and abundant rivers, mountains, and gentle climate, it could be a scenic place for wineries and wine tourism. Bed & breakfasts could have great views of the fields and natural backdrops...... Oh well.... something to think about for when i win the lottery!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee