U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 08:48 AM

8,584 posts, read 6,282,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLORIDA TO NIOTA 2010 View Post
If you don't like the summers there, you really don't want to move to FL. It's hot here just about year round.
Where do you think you would like to move to?
The only problem with moving because you don't fit in, what if you feel the same way at the new place. Then what?
How long have you lived in TN?
Keep looking, you'll find what you are looking for. Keep your chin up.
Hope you have a nice weekend.
Believe me, I would never move to Florida! I went once in late September and it was actually hotter than here, and I haven't been back.

I've looked at several different places for possible moves. I bike or walk everywhere, and would like to find a more walkable place, so I've been looking at places that are more walkable and have decent public transportation. Surprisingly, Murfreesboro is decently bikeable, but not so much for walking. And our public transportation is really only useful for those living in Adam's Place or Westbrook towers. I've looked at the Pacific Northwest and the Northeast (mostly Maine), but the current economic situation makes it a bad time to move unless one just must for some reason. I've also seriously considered a big move, maybe England. I prefer cool, cloudy weather, and my brother would like to attend Oxford eventually. But I just don't know. I'm not really that concerned about fitting in wherever I end up, it would just a be nice extra if possible. I think I mainly just need a change in life. I've lived here for 30 years, and watched this town change for good and bad, and I'm just tired of it. I'm not religious in a town full of people who are. I don't watch TV, or care about sports, Nascar, or guns/hunting in a town full of people who love all of those things and, naturally, enjoy discussing those things. And I hate driving but I live in a town full of people who drive everywhere and find it weird that I don't. Needless to say, it would be difficult for me to fit in any less.

And don't get me wrong: I don't completely hate it here. Well, during summer I kind of do, but that has nothing to do with the town itself. I really like our winters, and I get along okay with most people even when they're as different from me as imaginable. I'm just ready to move on. Imagine Jimmy Stewart in "It's A Wonderful Life" before Clarence shows up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 01:48 PM

83 posts, read 117,156 times
I'm not talking myself out of it. I will move, I just worry about my kids I don't want other kids treating them differnt because we ar from up north. I have read many post here and there about people move there and they wern't all positive.

Old 11-08-2009, 02:09 PM

12,341 posts, read 17,147,873 times
Hey all, please keep the posts on topic. Thanks!

Old 11-08-2009, 02:11 PM

1,320 posts, read 1,756,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinityjoy View Post
I want to move to Tennessee from michigan
You and me both. I have had nothing but pleasant experiences with locals during my researching of Knoxville and Chattanooga for our relocation (hopefully) in 2010. They are wonderful, welcoming people as you can probably figure out by the responses in this post. And, like my good pal hiknapster says, there are so many transplants already there you'll likely feel at home right away. You sound like you've embraced the southern way of life, as have I, so that puts you at an advantage already. Good luck.

Old 11-08-2009, 02:26 PM

2,005 posts, read 3,276,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinityjoy View Post
I'm not talking myself out of it. I will move, I just worry about my kids I don't want other kids treating them differnt because we ar from up north. I have read many post here and there about people move there and they wern't all positive.

Trinity Joy,
I doubt there is anywhere one can move to that somene hasn't had a negative experience.But giving a negative report more weight then many more positive ones is setting up a trap to fall into.Being aware that it can happen is a good thing, but expecting it to happen is a different beast all together. If you and your family move south, and ya'll have an attitude of embracing the new region you moved to and never uttering the words, "back where we come from, it's done this way"none of you will have a problem blending in. Remember you aren't the first or last Northerner to move to the area. Your move to the south will be uniquely your own experience, if it turns out to be positive or negative depends greatly on you and your family.
I'll give you an example that I see on city data frequently.People move to knoxville. Now sometimes their move is made after numerous trips to visit or vacation. The ones who vacation here first are usually disenchanted quickly because they failed to look for things they do in their daily lives.Then there are the ones who become intimadated by not knowing anyone so they tend to withdraw and not extend themselves.These are the same people who come on CD and complain, they are lonely and they haven't made any friends and they have no one to talk to. I cannot think of a time where I have gone out and about in this city and haven't chewed the fat with at least 5 strangers. I talk to everyone who crosses my path wherever I am, whether it be at a medical appointment, the bank, the post office or Walmart. Now talking with strangers was something I wasn't used to when I moved here, but now I chat with the best of them.I cannot honestly say I'm lonely here or haven't made friends, every stranger has the potential of becoming a friend of some sort.I come from a state that hasn't the best reputation, but that never hinders me. In fact my life is enriched with interesting experiences living here in the south and I'm never on auto pilot here or bored.
Trinity Joy, I'm sure if you face your move with an open mind and embrace southern living and culture, then you and your family will love your new home.
Pam

Old 11-08-2009, 02:57 PM

219 posts, read 341,241 times
We have visited Cookeville for over three years on numerous occasions before we decided to build our new home there. During these visits, we have made numerous friends just by running routine errands, talking to people at the hotels we stay at, eating out, going to the hardware store, etc. None of the people we have met have ever treated us bad. We do get some strange looks some times when we visit some of the more remote areas, but never have we felt uncomfortable or unwelcome. As a matter of fact, the people we have met have gone out of their way to accomodate us. It is really remarkable the difference from anywhere I have ever been.

The bottom line is that there are good and bad people everywhere. My experience is that the good people in Cookeville TOTALLY outweigh the bad. Life is too short. Concentrate your time and efforts on the people that make you happy and disregard those that don't.

Old 11-08-2009, 03:33 PM

4,925 posts, read 5,782,433 times
The only time I've ever heard any resentment towards newcomers is if the newcomer loudly or frequently (or both) talk about how much better things were "back home", or how things were done better "back home". Or if it is perceived that they are trying to change things to the way they were back home.

I have seen people move to my area for the small town, peace and quiet, slower pace, and then complain about there being nothing to do, no where to shop, etc. Then I've kind of wondered why did you move here then?

But, by and large, Tennessee is a welcoming place.

Old 11-08-2009, 05:20 PM

382 posts, read 570,424 times
Most folks who move here are very realistic about how things will be. We're not a big cosmopolitan area. So people don't move here with "starry eyes" about how their lives will drastically change, and everyone will love them and so on... etc.

By and large, Tennesseans are very down to earth people. They work hard and play fair. Most are faithful to God, country and family, and of course, to friends. Tennessee communities usuallly are very good places to raise families.

Old 11-08-2009, 06:28 PM

21,598 posts, read 29,670,427 times
One of my most favorite things is that the people don't put on airs. That matches my upbringing in New England. When I lived in Florida I was appalled at the people that tried too hard to impress. Bless their hearts.

But the guy in the well-worn clothes could be a judge or the wealthiest man in the county. Being kind to one another is what matters. I think that and the fireflies are what captured my heart.

TrinityJoy, we occasionally get negative posts. God knows I wrote more than a few a very, very long time ago when I first moved and was lost, lonely and afraid. But for the most part, the posts are extremely positive.

I think it would be hard to live here my entire life. I probably wouldn't realize how good I have it.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:29 AM

3,160 posts, read 1,626,093 times
We are the only native TN family on our cul de sac. The others are from MI, FL, TX, OH, ID. etc. We really like most of our neighbors, unless we are discussing football, it's hard to remember every one is from different states.
The only couple who doesn't get along with everyone are generally difficult people. They constantly talk about how much better everything was in their home state. They are busy bodies who try to cause problems in the sac. I have a feeling they don't get along with people anywhere. But we are all nice to them, we just don't hang out with them.
So be nice, don't dog your adopted state, and you will do great. People are always happy to meet new nice people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee