U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 01:25 PM

45 posts, read 140,051 times

Advertisements

I hear its best to advoid living around the City areas there because of Crack and Meth and all that...So has anyone have suggestions on the areas that are safe? Or is that just a myth....I'll be moving to TN> in the fall and I dont want to go from the frying pan into the fire....Can someone please offer me some Hope? Any and all sugesstions will be appreciated. Thank ya all in advance...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2007, 02:31 PM

3,381 posts, read 11,819,834 times
Where are you wanting to move? TN is a huge state. As far as crime goes, there is Memphis and then there is everything else. Are you talking about Memphis when you say "the city area"?

Old 05-14-2007, 02:49 PM

2,327 posts, read 6,087,737 times
There is virtually no meth in the "city" areas of Tennessee. Meth is a backwoods, hillbilly drug. Running from the city to the country to avoid meth is like running to Tommy Lee to avoid big knobs. Look at the counties which lead Tennessee in meth busts every year: Grundy, Warren, Campbell, Morgan. They're all VERY rural with no large cities in sight.

And Pearlbob is right, if Tennessee's crime stats look at all alarming it's only because they're heavily skewed by the presence of Memphis.

Old 05-14-2007, 04:24 PM

22,538 posts, read 46,123,072 times
And all cities everywhere have crack!

Old 05-14-2007, 04:30 PM

2,214 posts, read 4,998,916 times
Yeah, to backup the above comments. Crack does stick to the cities (as always) but meth is definitely a backwoods thing. We live in Carthage tn: http://www.city-data.com/city/Carthage-Tennessee.html and the crime rate is above national average largely due to the meth labs around here. It's a pity. Some of the most beautiful country there is.

Oh, and being a born and raised Memphian...it is the ARMPIT of the world! The crime rate speaks volumes.

Old 05-15-2007, 06:44 AM

1,986 posts, read 5,869,702 times
The country isn't much better. They will just case your house and hit it when your not there. Or just take it out of the garage while your working in the back yard.
So it's not just a area thing. You have to be careful wherever you live. I have lost more stuff to theft here in the few years I have lived here. Than my entire life living in several other states.

Old 05-15-2007, 11:10 AM

419 posts, read 1,482,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
The country isn't much better. They will just case your house and hit it when your not there. Or just take it out of the garage while your working in the back yard.
So it's not just a area thing. You have to be careful wherever you live. I have lost more stuff to theft here in the few years I have lived here. Than my entire life living in several other states.
Lived in Tennessee for 37 years never once has mine,my parents,my grandparents or my aunt's house been broken into.This includes houses a few blocks from the courthouse square & 4 miles out of the city limits.
Course this is in Cookeville,which seems to have a slightly lower crime rate than some other areas...

Yes we had our problems with meth in Cookeville/Putnam County.These probably reached their peak in the late 90's-early 2000's. Even during those times I never experienced crime personally.It was made to think by some that there were drugged crazed maniacs running the streets breaking into cars & houses! That just wasn't the case. The meth problem has been GREATLY reduced here due to the fact the city of Cookeville put the restrictions/limits on Ephedrine YEARS before the state did. It paid off!

firepower

Old 05-15-2007, 12:21 PM

I guess it depends on where you live. I live on a street of mobile homes in the country. They are all owned by the same man. He's very picky about who he rents to, and we have zero crime here.

Old 05-15-2007, 12:38 PM

45 posts, read 140,051 times
Just curious hiknapster...When you said Zero Crime,did you mean a certain area of Knoxville? or the entire area of Knoxville...It seems more so these days there is no advioding it no matter where you live in the USA. Some Places have more and others have less...Please Respond..Thanks

Old 05-15-2007, 12:46 PM

I meant zero crime on my street. I have no idea what goes on beyond that. However, I live in a very rural area. I'm sure there are drugs somewhere, I just haven't seen it.

I am unbelievably intolerant of drug addicts, due to personal reasons, and I can almost always spot a user from a mile away. So I am saying in my immediate area crimes seems to be REAL low.

Do I think all of Knoxville is that way? Heck no. I watch the news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee