U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2007, 04:27 PM

2,060 posts, read 5,009,562 times

Advertisements

No offense to some off the out of staters( including recent arrivals) But there has been some heated debates over what the outcome will be if the exodus from other states continue to convene in the state. Naturally, if you're not from here and want your own little piece of heaven, your opinions are going to be different than those who know the land and heritage better.

Do you feel that these changes are good? How has it affected your life, or has it at all? Where do you see TN going in the future? What measures would you like to see happen in order to preserve what you feel is an acceptable place to live? I'd like to hear it all. The good, the bad, and the everyday observations. Let's keep the discussion open. If you're a non-native, feel free to comment, even though I am most interested in hearing from people from here originally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2007, 05:32 PM

14,506 posts, read 23,204,295 times
I was wondering about this the other day. In Elizabethton, if you drive along Elk Ave- its all built up with restaurants and CVS- but 8 minutes away are trailers and streams, it is rather odd. I wonder.....

sunny

Old 05-15-2007, 08:34 PM

1,232 posts, read 4,179,273 times
Default High Tech - Energy

S: . As we were enjoying the 60th anniversary of the Dayton Strawberry festival, Rhea county is getting ready to have their 200th year. Library showing all the Coal Mines here on Walden ridge 100 years ago. That was a hard life and if everyone resisted change we would still be unloading RR trams onto the creek barges.
I really think some of the state Future will co-manufacture High Tech energy. More of the Nuclear reactors for Tva, and Farming will have crops for different blends of car fuels. Our central location will be a easy hub location for most of the East.
Bigger Churches will be a positive activity for family life. Yes other Grand-parents are moving back, or their friends are joining them, but it means more resources to build extra bldgs, like a Youth center that our paster just announced. Yes other storm people from New Orleans relocated or evacuateed here and some churches even built them houses, and I think as Volunteering people will do again if another big storm damages other Americans.
Some of our city leaders were on evening news talking about social services expenses of immigrants. This and the volume of home-less will need a creative solution if the state will go into the Future making the residents truly friendly and proud.

Old 05-15-2007, 08:51 PM

1,268 posts, read 3,959,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
No offense to some off the out of staters( including recent arrivals) But there has been some heated debates over what the outcome will be if the exodus from other states continue to convene in the state. Naturally, if you're not from here and want your own little piece of heaven, your opinions are going to be different than those who know the land and heritage better.

Do you feel that these changes are good? How has it affected your life, or has it at all? Where do you see TN going in the future? What measures would you like to see happen in order to preserve what you feel is an acceptable place to live? I'd like to hear it all. The good, the bad, and the everyday observations. Let's keep the discussion open. If you're a non-native, feel free to comment, even though I am most interested in hearing from people from here originally.

I'm not a Tennessee resident yet, so I can only give you my perspective as an outsider who hopes to be in Tennessee within 7 to 8 years. I hope that the state of Tennessee and its residents will continue to welcome people who want to escape the "rat race" experienced in other states. At the same time, I hope the the state of Tennessee and its people will not allow unfettered growth causing the same type of situation we are finding in many other states. I understand why so many people would like to move to Tennessee as I am in the same "boat." I want to have the kind of life that Tennessee offers and live in a place where I can more easily afford to live on my retirement income. I am fed up with life in California and its politics and I'm already counting the years, months, and days until I can move to Tennessee.

Last edited by jguillot; 05-15-2007 at 08:52 PM.. Reason: Typographical error

Old 05-15-2007, 11:35 PM

120 posts, read 415,446 times
I see the growth boom in Murfreesboro (and Mt. Juliet) and it scares me yet at the same time pleases me!

I love the growth but hope we can keep our "small" city feel!

Old 05-16-2007, 08:36 AM

7,281 posts, read 18,720,196 times
I am not a native either but have lived here (North East TN, 5 rivers area included) for 10 years now. Yes I have seen some change, but not bad change and it seems to be at a controlled rate. I don't see a lot of strip malls and huge housing developments going in to sit empty like I did in Fl. I have not seen any loss of "home town feel" happening. I don't see a lot of local business being pushed out by huge national retailers.
So far I see road systems that were put in place that can handle growth. I see many farms that do not seem to be sold off to developers and families that hold on tight to that land. I see growth that seems to make sense. So I hope that trend will continue in my area of TN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or