Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 06:23 PM

623 posts, read 1,542,524 times

Advertisements

I wish they'd allow the import of wine via online purchases from other states. Is that too much to ask? They could tax the heck out of it and waste that money on something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 07:19 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,319,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljay42 View Post
I don't know MB...they sell Ice beer in grocery stores with Alc levels as high as 5% - yet some of the BB's are barely higher then that. Maybe 5% is the cutoff?
Could be. Might differ from county to county to?

Old 01-18-2012, 06:47 PM

738 posts, read 2,575,955 times
Default Upcoming legislation for wine in grocery stores!

The 2012 legislative session offers another opportunity to bring wine to the places where Tennesseans shop for food. Join Red White and Food today. Red White and Food

And read the facts before you say this will lead to more DUI, youth drinking, or loss of jobs. It's simply not true.

Wine Facts | Red White and Food

Stop letting the government get in the way, 35 states allow it. Let's catch up Tennessee!

Old 01-18-2012, 07:36 PM

1,028 posts, read 2,338,324 times
Agreed. Loosen up those laws, get government a little more out of our lives. Especially with the health benefits that come from responsible consumption. Hopefully the Memphis region and West TN/the TAM area develop more vineyards and microbrews.

Old 01-21-2012, 12:55 AM

209 posts, read 460,085 times
If this bill not pass, that is almost no effect for Memphian. Many people just cross river, they can get wine in any georcery in West Memphis, Arkansas.

Old 01-21-2012, 03:12 PM

232 posts, read 988,657 times
I seriously doubt this legislation will ever pass. Tennessee already has several blue-law type rules in place now. Dry counties, no liquor sales on Sunday, etc. Can you even buy beer in Collierville on Sunday?!?!

The mom and pop liquor store owners (who comprise most of the industry) don't want to compete with big retailers like Target, Wal-Mart, Kroger, Sam's, they couldn't offer the same prices due to their smaller volume and the ability of the big retailers to use liquor as a loss-leader, something they can't afford to do. So now you are hurting the locally owned businesses and enriching the big, mega-corporations. Not exactly too politically correct in times like this when lots of people are hoping to keep their jobs and businesses alive. Kroger will do fine w/o liquor, liquor store owners are crushed if big-box retailers get in the game.

Another thing is the fact that the liquor distributors don't want this passed either. It will add more routes, more stops, more work for the same amount of liquor sold and increase their costs. Not a positive thing for them.

My bet is this legislation is once again shelved and eventually dismissed altogether.

Old 01-22-2012, 07:10 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,494,356 times
Mod Note: Moved to Main Tennessee forum from Memphis as this affects the entire state.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:03 AM

135 posts, read 293,437 times
I think it's a great idea. Especially here in Sevier County. I cannot stand going to the few wine stores we have because they are only open for certain hours of the days and they are more expensive anyways when I buy my wine from there. Also, Bowyer- in a way do you think it really will hurt ma and pop stores because if stores start carrying it, they will probably only carry the basic types of wines or wine's like Yellow Tail? I see that in all the stores in South Carolina. In that case people will still go to the ma and pop stores to get what they drink that Wal Mart might not carry. I don't see the stores carrying the top rated wine that some might drink. I think it's a great idea. I love having wine with my food and it's all in one spot and I do not have to waste gas (cause it is here in Pigeon Forge) getting wine in one place and driving to buy food for dinner. I hope this passes!

Old 01-22-2012, 05:54 PM

623 posts, read 1,542,524 times
I want my Two Buck Chuck.

Old 01-22-2012, 07:15 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,332,110 times
Change the damn law. It will actually help out our own home grown microbreweries and wineries thrive.

Anybody who opposes changing this should be beaten like a red-headed stepchild.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee