Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 01:01 PM

1 posts, read 2,614 times

Advertisements

How does one get used to the humidity during the summers? We're moving from washington state.....what months is the humidity worst?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2007, 01:11 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,129,415 times
Well, July and August tend to be the worse because it's both very hot and humid, and sometimes there's not much of a breeze. But it varies somewhat from year to year.

These days just about everyone has air conditioning . . . home, car, office. When you are out, wear light clothing, stay in the shade as much as possible, and drink plenty of water. It's also a "mental thing". Just accept that it's going to be hot and muggy some days. It's not pleasant, but you can live with it.

I hope that helps a little. By the way, I have a friend who lives near Seattle. I talk to her daily. I hear about her weather woes. To me, the weather between the two places would be something of a draw. It's hotter and more humid here in the summer, but it pleasant here earlier in the year, and sometimes more pleasant later in the year. Lately she been talking about what they call "layer weather" there; it's been pretty cool in the morning, but then gets warmer later on. Last winter, she got a lot more snow there than I did in Nashville.

Old 05-20-2007, 07:09 PM

764 posts, read 1,452,458 times
Default Humidity? What humidity?

In what area of Washington State are you living? We just moved here in mid-April from The Great Northwest. I lived around the Seattle area (Maple Valley, Kent, Auburn, Enumclaw) for about 28 years, and about 3 years in the Spokane area; BIG difference in weather between Seattle and Spokane as you know.

There have only been a few hot days here thus far, but I shouldn’t really complain because I’m sure that the temperatures were 5 degrees, maybe even 10 degrees, cooler than on the SURFACE OF THE SUN!

I’m kidding! My plan for getting used to the humidity is by living here—no sarcasm intended; I just don’t know any other way.

Probably because we haven’t yet encountered REAL heat combined with humidity, we think it feels a little like a warm blanket around us. It’s only when we do moderate-to-heavy physical activity out in the sun that we feel the desire to walk, slowly, to that wonderfully air-conditioned house. Sure, it’ll get worse, but I made it through a couple of years in SE Asia and I spent about 6 months with my sister in Houston when I was in high school. I SERIOUSLY doubt that Tennessee can compare to those experiences for truly oppressive summer-time climate.

Old 05-20-2007, 07:19 PM

We need to be sure to check on happyappy come August. If he thinks it's been hot so far . . .

Actually, we have had some awfully warm days for May. The weather has been more like June weather. Heck, this whole year has been wierd weather-wise.

Old 05-20-2007, 09:17 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,023,037 times
Heat....sure we got heat. I had the wood stove burning couple of nights ago. Got down to 36° .....

Old 05-20-2007, 09:26 PM

14,496 posts, read 26,508,186 times
actually- its been chilly here after 9Pm- needed the central heat last night. I live in a big drafty house.

sunny

Old 05-23-2007, 12:55 PM

36 posts, read 148,173 times
It makes a difference where you are moving in TN. In the TN Valley, near the river, it will obviously be much more humid. We live in NE TN near Kingsport, at about 1500 ft. altitude. We have found the climate here to be much more comfortable in the summer than in upstate NY, from where we moved. Our NY area was always very high in humidity during the summer. Average temps here are about 5 degrees higher according to the city-data charts, but feel a lot better.

Old 05-23-2007, 01:41 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,103,553 times
I lived in Clarksville (NW TN) and had the air on from May until mid-September. No joke.

Old 05-23-2007, 07:56 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,330,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samisue1 View Post
How does one get used to the humidity during the summers? We're moving from washington state.....what months is the humidity worst?
Lesseee.....the humidity is really bad just a few months...the ones with a "r" and the ones without an "r"...LOL!!!

Last edited by Southlander; 05-23-2007 at 08:28 PM..

Old 05-23-2007, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I lived in Clarksville (NW TN) and had the air on from May until mid-September. No joke.
Heck, I had the air on in March this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee