U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2010, 09:42 AM

438 posts, read 1,166,258 times

Advertisements

I'll cut to the chase. When we plan to move:

Me- Licensed massage therapist {planning to transition my license prior to moving}. Will be looking to join an existing on-site business or a studio and build my own clientèle as well.

Husband- BS in Business w/ Information Tech concentration, AS in Computer Information Systems, Info Security concentration. Also experienced in facilities and personal security but obviously will be wanting to use degrees.

3 kids, at the time we plan to move they will be 13, 11, & 7. Currently home schooled but desire a quality school district with high marks from special needs parents especially at the jr high and high school levels. Proximity to an autism clinic or pediatric OT & PT offices would be wonderful, preferably under 2 hour drive to same.

Ideal home cost would be $135-$155k in today's dollars, 3/4 b 2 or more bath {with 3 girls plus myself my husband is threatening to have a commercial style bathroom added to whatever we buy} Obviously looking for a safe neighborhood where we can ride bikes or walk to most activities. Would like a yard for kids to play when a visit to the park isn't possible as well as the dog to hang out. Hubby refuses to live in an HOA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 06:51 PM

623 posts, read 1,313,963 times
Look where you find jobs.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:32 PM

11,128 posts, read 12,379,813 times
Do you have a preference in terrain, such as hills, mountains or flat and level?

From what you have posted prior, I would say towns such as Kingsport/Johnson City/Bristol and surrounding areas. Oak Ridge, Crossville, Cookeville, Chattanooga out lying areas, McMinnville, Shelbyville, Lebanon would all be places I would look to in East-Mid Tennessee. Home price range and aversion to HOA might preclude most of the suburbs of the larger cities but others might offer better help there.

Old 01-21-2010, 11:34 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,916,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkat321 View Post
I'll cut to the chase. When we plan to move:

Me- Licensed massage therapist {planning to transition my license prior to moving}. Will be looking to join an existing on-site business or a studio and build my own clientèle as well.

Husband- BS in Business w/ Information Tech concentration, AS in Computer Information Systems, Info Security concentration. Also experienced in facilities and personal security but obviously will be wanting to use degrees.

3 kids, at the time we plan to move they will be 13, 11, & 7. Currently home schooled but desire a quality school district with high marks from special needs parents especially at the jr high and high school levels. Proximity to an autism clinic or pediatric OT & PT offices would be wonderful, preferably under 2 hour drive to same.

Ideal home cost would be $135-$155k in today's dollars, 3/4 b 2 or more bath {with 3 girls plus myself my husband is threatening to have a commercial style bathroom added to whatever we buy} Obviously looking for a safe neighborhood where we can ride bikes or walk to most activities. Would like a yard for kids to play when a visit to the park isn't possible as well as the dog to hang out. Hubby refuses to live in an HOA.
i would not hesitate referring you to the city of paris, tn in henry county, tn, northwest tn, at kentucky lake and the tennessee river system. the area on the river is the south end of the land between the lakes recreational and hunting area. hills, valley, springs, islands, inlets, dams, open lakes, ponds, wildlife, history, etc. beautiful year round, just a getting a little too crowded. paris has a technical-voc school and several extensions to local universities: bethel universitiy, union university, university of tn, murray state university, austin peay state university, and perhaps a few more. murray state university in murray, ky is about a 30 minute drive from paris on north 641. the university of tennessee at martin is about a 35-40 minute drive to martin, tn, west of paris. a good deal of the road is 4 lane into the university.

henry county medical center has positions for liscensed massage therapist, i believe 2 at present. the hospital is well equipped and up to date. paris is a very nice, clean city that takes pride in its natural resources. calloway general hospital in kentucky (murray) is another facility to check regarding employment. the veteran's medical facalities nursing home is located just inside the city limits in humboldt, tn, which is a drive of about 35 minutes from paris, depending on the time of day. it is a large facility, about 10 years old, and is fully staffed. it could provide you w/ several possible opportunities. driving, of cource, would be a necessity. clarksville, located on the east side of the river, is located north east of paris about 1 hour from paris. clarksville is the fastest growing city in the state, and it is located in montogomery county. fort campbell, though it is officially located in kentucky, is mainly in tn in the clarksville vicinity. again, opportunities for you there---both you and your husband. austin peay state university is located in this city. it enrolls approximately 5 to 6 thousand students, and again, opportunities for your husband' degree area. union baptist university, jackson, bethel cumberland presbyterian university, McKenzie, lane college, jackson, jackson state comm college, jackson, the McWherter tech center, jackson are all possibilities for your husband's degree, and even yours. bethel is big on innovative and competitive marketking of its students. you might be able to work out a program teaching massage therapy in one of their programs. the madison-haywood development center uses massage therapist, as does the madison-haywood developmental center for adults. both of these institutions are located in jackson. i have family who live in various parts of henry county. some of them are in law enforcement, some in nursing and medicine. some have farms and some have just a small number of acres. my nephew is putting is house on the market, in order to move into paris. he is employed w/ ups, and they are rearing two very samll children. it is a nice place, and he isn't happy about moving to the city; yet, you do what you have to do these days for your family.

the road systems in that area are undergoing major improvments to carry volume and reduce accidents. deciding on what side of the city you would want to live would be determinative of the area where i lived because of driving time. years ago, before any work was completed on the roads, i drove each morning to my office from paris city limits to downtown jackson. i was on call every 4th weekend and every 6th night. the drive, at that time, took me about 1 hour and twenty minutes. many drive from paris to jackson and even to memphis daily. for me, it was a bit stressful; consequently, i moved to jacson to accomplish my goals. i have lived in memphis for several years, and i loved it. i have lived in birmingham several years until a year ago december. currently, i am between jackson and memphis. as soon as i complete one last educational requirement, i plan to return full-time to memphis.

jackson is fine. it is a metro designated area of about 175,000. it is growing a little too fast for my taste, but most seem to think that is the way to go. memphis, too, is growing too much; however, i think i want to finish my career in that area and then move to a slower pace.

there may be a few additional recommendations that come to mind, but if you think of any particular information that you think i could help you with, please don't hesitate to pm me or leave a note on the board. good luck to where you ultimately decide. west tn and memphis in particular are expected to rebound in the current housing market sooner than the rest of tn. the west tn section of tn was never hit as hard w/ the housing problems as the rest of the state. you'll find that this side of the state follows a solid but steady trend for growth and believes strongly in the instituted smart growth pattern. best of luck to you and your family

Old 01-22-2010, 11:08 AM

22,534 posts, read 46,102,156 times
I suggest Oak Ridge. Possibly Knoxville. It will depend on where you find jobs. I would start looking in those areas. There's a beautiful new spa that just opened up. Pure Luxe Spa and Salon And more of the same in our area. Security and IT jobs would probably be easiest to find Oak Ridge, but I wouldn't rule out Knoxville, either.

Old 01-22-2010, 02:07 PM

438 posts, read 1,166,258 times
Thanks everyone Sorry for the impatience. Goodness knows the people on this forum have been more than patient as we considered and sometimes re-considered the options over the last few years. I am hopeful now that I've pointed out the threads regarding the differences between tax rates in NC and TN my husband will be content to consider TN or southern IN as our final two choices and see what happens from there.

The husband refuses to be anywhere near Memphis. I know the crime rates and some of his first-hand experiences are part of it but it's one of those things I've never asked too much about.

Hiknapster, which city would be better from the standpoint of access to Veteran's services? I know there is a counseling center in Knoxville itself, but it looks like otherwise everything else requires a trip to Nashville? {ie medical services, veterans benefits offices etc} Do you know if there is an active DAV officer or volunteer in Knoxville or Oak Ridge or van services for commuting to the VA hospital?

Old 01-23-2010, 01:05 PM

22,534 posts, read 46,102,156 times
Here's some info.

Veteran's Services - Knox County Tennessee - A Great American Community

East TN Veterans Resources

There is also a veteran's hospital in Johnson City. That is a lot closer than Nashville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or