U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 01:37 PM

23,013 posts, read 17,981,683 times

Advertisements

"Truckers say the 455-mile-long segment of I-40 through Tennessee is the best highway segment in the nation. For the 11th year in a row, more than 300 big-rig truckers surveyed by Overdrive magazine ranked the nation's highways on quality of the roads, the smoothness of the surface, road markings, construction-detour availability and more."

Truckers volunteer Tennessee road as best | The Columbus Dispatch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 02:57 PM

9,097 posts, read 21,745,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
"Truckers say the 455-mile-long segment of I-40 through Tennessee is the best highway segment in the nation. For the 11th year in a row, more than 300 big-rig truckers surveyed by Overdrive magazine ranked the nation's highways on quality of the roads, the smoothness of the surface, road markings, construction-detour availability and more."

Truckers volunteer Tennessee road as best | The Columbus Dispatch
I'm not surprised. Tennessee may have poorly funded schools and universities, but we have great highways!

In all seriousness, driving the 455 miles on I-40 from Memphis to Hartford is a piece of cake, particularly now that I-40 through downtown Knoxville has been completely redesigned and rebuilt, and the major I-40 interchanges in Memphis have also been redesigned and rebuilt. (Having the I-40 rock slides continually occurring on the NC side of the Smoky Mountains doesn't hurt Tennessee's reputation, either...)

Old 02-08-2010, 03:21 PM

848 posts, read 1,241,403 times
In the same article it mentions I-40 Arkansas as one of the worst sections in the nation. I can relate to that. Lack of scenery from Memphis to Little Rock, low 18-wheeler speed limit which causes traffic to flow unsmoothly, oppressive speed enforcement, and rough highway make for a long drive.

Old 02-08-2010, 04:04 PM

11,463 posts, read 11,402,503 times
Quote:
I cant say I share the love when I get stuck behind them trying to pass eachother up the hill from Cookeville to Monterey.

Old 02-08-2010, 04:10 PM

9,097 posts, read 21,745,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I cant say I share the love when I get stuck behind them trying to pass eachother up the hill from Cookeville to Monterey.
No kidding!!! The state really should've added a truck lane between Cookeville and Monterey. Trucks totally ignore the "trucks stay in right lane" signs.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:31 AM

11,463 posts, read 11,402,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
No kidding!!! The state really should've added a truck lane between Cookeville and Monterey. Trucks totally ignore the "trucks stay in right lane" signs.
What is an improved shoulder and those signs is susppose to be a truck lane. Years back Senator Tommy Burks campaigned and got $$$ for a truck lane, and what you see is it. What we did get was two, two, big new exit ramps in Monterey.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:58 PM

1,550 posts, read 3,558,986 times
Surprisingly, they also think highly of our drivers:

BEST AUTOMOBILE DRIVERS

1. Texas
2. Ohio
3. Tennessee

Road poll: The good, the bad, the better | Overdrive

Old 02-09-2010, 03:35 PM

5,567 posts, read 9,334,336 times
I had to drive quite a bit today. One trucker was lost and trying to get on the interstate. Both lanes (of the ramp) stopped to let him over.

Later on a surface street, the train had passed a while ago and the cars were lined way back. We let out two trucks of a warehouse, and let one in.

In other places I've drive, I've noticed that it feels like truckers are the enemy.

Old 02-14-2010, 02:53 PM

164 posts, read 299,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post
In the same article it mentions I-40 Arkansas as one of the worst sections in the nation. I can relate to that. Lack of scenery from Memphis to Little Rock, low 18-wheeler speed limit which causes traffic to flow unsmoothly, oppressive speed enforcement, and rough highway make for a long drive.
Driving between Memphis and Little Rock is absolutely awful! I agree! I've taken US 70 West before when my nerves just couldn't take it much more. Worst part of the drive between Alabama and Oklahoma.

Old 02-15-2010, 12:19 AM

92 posts, read 93,739 times
Having driven it myself 3 times now, it was a pretty good drive, but it was LOOOONG, and there was a whole lot of nothing between Nashville and Memphis.

Keeping in mind, I'm used to I-40 from Raleigh to Winston Salem, which is basically one city/town after another (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Mebane, Burlington, Greensboro, Winston Salem
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee