U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 09:55 PM

762 posts, read 944,843 times
Default Wait for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenandoah View Post
Jimmy Carter?
Now, Shen, take a moment and contemplate an object or event that will bring you tranquility and kick those little endorphins in the butt to start racing through your circulatory system.

I got into a long thread in P&OC about Carter. I didn’t know enough about Carter’s presidency to discuss the issues, so one of the posters recommended a couple of books—that I just had to buy (this has been an expensive month!). So how about waiting until I get a chance to read them and we can start another thread over there or resurrect that one. Deal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2007, 11:32 PM

5,834 posts, read 2,327,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
akm4 is SNEAKY, putting the Gore book-signing on the Fred Thompson thread!

I didn't know about it and have never been to Nashville.

Alley Cat: I was a newspaper reporter for many years. I need to start writing, again. I'll check out your friends' books.
This reminds me that Al Gore was once an actual Tennessee resident for about a year and a half.

Old 06-01-2007, 05:34 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,823,575 times
Yeah, all those years in Carthage, then returning from the war and working for the Tennessean, and now in Belle Meade......probably the same amount of time W spent as a "Texan". No, wait- he's spent a LOT of time there since he's been president! LOL!

What does it matter in the end? Gore's a Tennessean.

Old 06-01-2007, 10:06 AM

111 posts, read 248,623 times
I'm neither party. Fred is ok but personally I don't trust anybody in Washington or Hollywood or a mixture there of. I always get tickled watching people say I'm a Democrat or Republican, is there really a difference? Why not just be an American? It's like a wrestling match, heavily publicized and afterwards they all get together and laugh at the ones that actually believed there was a difference. Look at Bush & Clinton. I am leaning towards Ron Paul but still not sure. He has at least defended the Constitution, or what's actually left of it.

Old 06-01-2007, 10:07 AM

8,126 posts, read 16,583,237 times
I Give UP!!!

Old 06-01-2007, 10:09 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,823,575 times
Please tell me you're talking about the elder Bush. Any similarity, and I mean ANY, between Clinton and W would shatter my world

I'll file my report post-book signing.

I love Tennessee. Now back to the Fred-Heads!

Old 06-01-2007, 10:16 AM

111 posts, read 248,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akm4 View Post
Please tell me you're talking about the elder Bush. Any similarity, and I mean ANY, between Clinton and W would shatter my world

I'll file my report post-book signing.

I love Tennessee. Now back to the Fred-Heads!
Nope, actually both Bushs. If anything the younger Bush is closer than the older one. World just shattered. I'll let you do your own research into that, hint, go past the first few search results, they are usually paid for.

Old 06-01-2007, 10:20 AM

6,300 posts, read 15,508,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I Give UP!!!
I'm sorry we've hijacked your thread. But . . . it was bound to happen.

I've told you my general impression of Thompson, that's about all I can do.

Old 06-01-2007, 10:25 AM

21,643 posts, read 31,098,393 times
There's lots of information about Thompson on the links supplied by Shen. Also, lots on him on the web.

One thing I don't want is for this thread to get dragged over to the political forum. MBMouse can only do so much. We start getting into a debate and she's going to have to do it.

I think it would bode well for Tennessee if one of its own was in the White House.

There, that puts it back on topic, I think.

Old 06-01-2007, 10:46 AM

762 posts, read 944,843 times
Default "Watch what you wish for!," my folks told me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
There's lots of information about Thompson on the links supplied by Shen. Also, lots on him on the web.

One thing I don't want is for this thread to get dragged over to the political forum. MBMouse can only do so much. We start getting into a debate and she's going to have to do it.

I think it would bode well for Tennessee if one of its own was in the White House.

There, that puts it back on topic, I think.
I agree. It's difficult to hold back as can be seen by the few "slips" including mine.

Katie1, what you want to know is clear from your question "Do you feel he will be a good President?" However, answering that will create a heckuva mini-storm in this forum.

If Fred Thompson declares, I'm sure you know that we'll all see possibly numerous monster-size threads started in the P&OC forum. We'll get all the opinions we could possibly wish for from every political ideology. I've already seen some posts about him, but they won't get serious about discussions until he declares. And there will be people from Tennessee posting in those threads, including me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee