Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2006, 04:43 PM

20 posts, read 74,571 times

Advertisements

What can you tell me about Roane County. Price of homes, driving conditions in the winter, life style and the overall quality of life? From the prior posting I notice that the lake will be lowered during the year. I am used to that, the lake close to us is lowered to less than 5,000 acre feet during the winter and it also smells. Are houseboats allowed on the lake? We will be moving out to Eastern Tennessee next year and right now are looking at several areas from Crossville to Johnson City. Any information you can give us would be a great help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2006, 07:20 PM

94 posts, read 386,158 times
Thumbs up Hello

Roane County is made up of three fair sized cities as well as numerous smaller communities. The cities are Kingston, Rockwood, and Harriman.

I am most familiar with Rockwood as my mother has family there. I'm not sure about land pricing, etc. but I would think that you would be able to find reasonably priced property.

Rockwood directly borders the Watts Bar lake, and as for the question about houseboats--I don't think there are any restrictions. I've seen sailboats, yachts, and houseboats on the lake.

As far as quality of life, there are several things in and around the area for entertainment. I think most people in the area go to Oak Ridge or knoxville to find additional resources.

Driving wise--they do get snow and ice, etc. in the winter but it very rare for snow to hang around long down here. Most of the time the roads are cleaned and driveable fairly quickly.

You mentioned Crossville- this would be one exception to the driving rule. Since it is located on the Cumberland plateau the weather can be colder and the snow may last a few days longer. Normally the main roads will be passable fairly quick.

Hope this helps, Kerry

Old 07-29-2006, 09:11 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,724,454 times
You can put any size boat you want on Watts Bar as long as it doesn't draft too much, although I have heard you can't get a new dock permit. There are some areas of the Emory (upstream of Kingston) that are getting silted and have to be dredged. My father's cove, for example, is deep enough for his 3 boats (bass, bowrider, and pontoon), but he has to trim up the bowrider to dock it. The lake is only 4 1/2 feet in the summer there (and non-existant in winter). Summer pool is 750' and winter is about 745'-ish. But thats probably more than you wanted to know about the lake. LOL

FWIW, Norris lake has a lot of houseboaters - or at least it use to 10 years ago.

The lifestyle in Roane County is faily slow paced. Cashiers at the stores will talk your ear off, and you can't go anywhere in a hurry. The WalMart in Rockwood is about the only place to buy a lot of things - kind of annoying if you want to support smaller/local buisnesses. Kingston just recently passed liquor by the drink, and so there might be a couple non-fast-food restraunts moving into town. Last I visited (Christmas), Kingston folks still had to drive to Rockwood for wine or liquor. Not that I'm assuming you are a big drinker, but I think it does say something about the kind of community. My folks have living in Kingston for 10+ years and they love it. And we love it down there too!

Old 09-15-2006, 08:02 PM

4 posts, read 12,716 times
L live here, moved from Florida and love it

Old 09-15-2006, 11:35 PM

408 posts, read 1,971,641 times
My aunt and uncle just moved to Roane County from Knox County earlier this year. I've not been out there too many times so I don't know a lot about it. What I can tell you is that they bought land on the water and it was $150,000 just for land. I forget how much land it is only like 2-4 acres. And this is not in some fancy place. All the homes there are nice, 'normal' sized homes.
I also know they said taxes and car tags are cheaper there than in Knox county.

Old 09-23-2006, 04:02 PM

13 posts, read 53,978 times
Roane county is an awsome place to go on vacation.Johnson city is a terriable place

Old 09-23-2006, 04:14 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,235,098 times
Default ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcarkid View Post
Roane county is an awsome place to go on vacation.Johnson city is a terriable place
I asume you don't like Johnson City, and if it was for everybody, they would be here. HAhahaha I find it a little odd you put that in your satement about Roan County. I know it is strange, but Roan Mountain is not in Roan County and one of the main streets in Johnson City is Roan St. But Roan County is over by Knoxville, not even close to Johnson City...strange, I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee