Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2010, 02:21 PM

25 posts, read 47,040 times

Advertisements

Hey guys.
First of all, everyone on here is so helpful - thank you so much!

So - I am wondering about the weather in TN - I only have an idea of what the weather is like from visiting W Virgina - and that was a very brief visit in the summer - what is (typically) the weather like? Are there actual seasons? (Not much of that here in the Bay). I know there was some snow out there that wasn't the normal...

I lived in MA for a few years, and the winters were snowy, fall was just beautiful - and summer was a mix of humid and rainy. Is it about the same in TN?

Thanks again!

Katie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 04:20 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,349,268 times
Tennessee has 4 distinct seasons, but nothing is typical when it comes to the weather in Tn. Summers can be humid, Winter can be cold. But the extreme weather doesn't always last for an extended period of time. Like this winter was unusual in that it stayed cold without a mild period to break it up.
I'm from upstate NY, you're from Ma. I think you'll love the weather here. I think the weather here in Tn. beats the weather in NY any day of the week. Spring is spectacular here too and Fall isn't to shabby in its glory.
Pam

Old 02-19-2010, 05:17 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,070,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam& Bill View Post
Tennessee has 4 distinct seasons, but nothing is typical when it comes to the weather in Tn. Summers can be humid, Winter can be cold. But the extreme weather doesn't always last for an extended period of time. Like this winter was unusual in that it stayed cold without a mild period to break it up.
I'm from upstate NY, you're from Ma. I think you'll love the weather here. I think the weather here in Tn. beats the weather in NY any day of the week. Spring is spectacular here too and Fall isn't to shabby in its glory.
Pam
Different from one end of the state to the other also.....

Old 02-19-2010, 08:24 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
Well, I am from Mass. Born and raised, 34 years. TN weather doesn't even resemble it, except for the colors of fall, and even then it is much warmer for viewing.

Summer is warmer and much more humid. I lived in Florida for awhile so I think it is nice, but if I was coming straight from New England, I think it would have taken some adjusting. Then again, I did adjust to southwest Florida.

As Pam said, spring is spectacular. Nothing like MA. I tell my mom, who still lives there, that this is where we beat their weather, hands down. It is starting to warm up, here, and in a few weeks the Bradford Pears will start to bloom, followed by a parade of colors in yards and running wild in the woods and on the highways. Just gorgeous. Up in MA they will still be freezing their butts off. No big show. Just cold, rain and mud. Some more snow. Bleah. Then, one day, it will be 85. No spring in MA.

As mentioned, the winter is mild. It can sometimes get pretty cold (nothing compared to northern standards) but it never lasts long. We had about over two weeks of cold weather this winter and that was a record breaker. However, this winter broke records all over the country. It was snowing in Central Florida, for crying out loud.

I call the local East Tennessee weather Goldilocks weather. It's just right. However, bear in mind that it is just right for ME. Your mileage may vary.

Old 02-20-2010, 03:25 PM

16,071 posts, read 21,144,062 times
I moved from the far southwest corner of TN to the far northeast corner of TN a little over a year ago. Like Bones mentioned it is different from one end of the state to the other, not a huge difference, but enough to make a difference to my comfort level at any rate.

My new home is near the mountains and the higher elevation makes the summer weather seem much less hot and muggy than what I experienced in southwest TN. Spring and fall seem to last a little longer here, and there is a bit of snow here in the winter. Southwest TN tends to get ice rather than snow on the very rare occasions the weather gets cold enough.
I love the northeast TN weather. My DD, who despises any kind of cold, prefers the weather in our old place in southwest TN. She only likes to see snow on TV, lol.

Old 02-21-2010, 08:31 AM

1,697 posts, read 6,805,731 times
Tennessee Climate | Picture of Tennessee Climate Map | World Book Encyclopedia (http://www.worldbook.com/wb/Students?content_spotlight/climates/north_american_climate_tennessee - broken link)

TSCO - Climate Data

Old 02-21-2010, 01:28 PM

25 posts, read 47,040 times
Thanks guys!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee