U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 10:08 AM

20 posts, read 42,317 times

Advertisements

Just readin some previous threads about the heat and humidity TN experiences in the summer. I was hopin that movin to the mountains would give me a reprieve from the unbearably hot, muggy summer days and eves here in Fl. I was also thinkin I'd see some snow come winter time. I'm focusing my job/home search on Chattanooga. Am I still too south to see a distinctive weather change in Chatt?

Hot and Sweaty in Fla
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2007, 10:13 AM

7,285 posts, read 14,205,476 times
I am not sure about the Chat area, but here in North East TN it HAS been unusually hot and on the muggy side the last few days. Good thing is that it doesn't last long and there is about a 40 degree drop in temp at night so it doesn't stay hot and muggy 24/7 like in FL. Winter, well we had a real mild one this year, only a few days of snow and only a dusting. Then again we could have repeat of the early 90's when they had over a foot of snow fall in one day, not typical, but can happen.

Old 06-01-2007, 10:14 AM

336 posts, read 775,759 times
What I've found here (I'm from hot and humid south MS ) is that it can get as hot here, but not as humid for the most part. Also, where a cool front would NEVER make it into south MS between June and mid Sept, just when things seem to get too hot here, a nice cool front comes in and brings what humidity is here down, and the temps down a little. You know how it is, being from FL. Highs in the upper 80s are WAY different then highs in the low 80s.

The warm weather and drought here is making for some unusual weather this spring.

Old 06-01-2007, 10:30 AM

Alrighty then. Sounds like there's a bit more variety up your way, as opposed to hot and sunny every day from June to Sept. And it sounds like my TN winters would be sprinkled with a bit of the white stuff. By the way, do the mountains near Chatt get snow? It would be so great to be able to take a quick trip to see snow rather than spending several days hauling our bums all the way to VA from Fl to hopefully catch a glimpse of winter.

Ah, to have the seasons

Old 06-01-2007, 10:49 AM

21,675 posts, read 31,596,747 times
There will be a difference between Gainesville and Chattanooga. Not a big difference, though. It should be a bit less humid.

Snow is very little. Maybe less than one inch a couple of times in the winter and that either doesn't stick or melts in a few hours. It's good if you just want to look at it but not want to shovel it.

I experienced a very big difference, but I came from Fort Myers, Florida to Knoxville.

Old 06-01-2007, 10:55 AM

111 posts, read 251,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headn4thehills View Post
Just readin some previous threads about the heat and humidity TN experiences in the summer. I was hopin that movin to the mountains would give me a reprieve from the unbearably hot, muggy summer days and eves here in Fl. I was also thinkin I'd see some snow come winter time. I'm focusing my job/home search on Chattanooga. Am I still too south to see a distinctive weather change in Chatt?

Hot and Sweaty in Fla
I have several cousins that live throughout Fla that have got to where they only visit in the fall or early spring. It's funny but I thought I'd never hear anybody from Fla complain about our heat. Terry's words were "Now I know why you see postcards with people laying around the porch, at least we have a breeze". I'm is East Tn. Throughout the summer sometimes Satan goes home to cool off.

Old 06-01-2007, 10:56 AM

So I take it the mountains surrounding Chatt aren't high enough to accumulate snow that can be enjoyed by crazy people like me who like to make snow angels in their birthday suit? I mean snow suit

Old 06-01-2007, 10:58 AM

21,675 posts, read 31,596,747 times
Where are you originally from?

Old 06-01-2007, 10:58 AM

6,300 posts, read 15,677,997 times
You will certainly find four seasons in Tennessee (I generally love the springs and falls here). Snow will vary from year-to-year; some years there will several snows of four to eight inches, other years there will be only a couple of snows of maybe an inch. We've barely gotten snow the past two or three of years. The people who have been here only a short time have only experienced the years of very little snow.

Old 06-01-2007, 11:02 AM

Born and raised in Las Vegas, Nv. I know, I know - it's hot in Vegas too but I lived for those trips to the surrounding mountains in the winter to frolick and play in the snow. There's even a ski lift on Mt Charleston just an hours drive from the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee