Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2014, 04:00 PM

178 posts, read 227,811 times

Advertisements

Loved living in NW Alabama, right around 2005. Lived in Florence for almost 3 years until my job petered out. So I came back to Oregon where I was born and raised.

I am turning 62 in December and seriously considering a move back to the South. I just felt it was so much more home to me then the State I was raised in. Anyway, I was looking online today for best retirement cities of the US (someone's opinion of) and found Clarksville TN.

So here I am, just to check out what is happening on the forum for Tennessee. Maybe get to know a few folks. I'm on my own, no children, free, and well over 21, LOL!!

Don't really have a question, just love what I've seen of your State, mostly on my "internet" journeys via Google Earth

I'll putter around and see if I can find some discussions I find interesting Denise
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2014, 07:09 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,578,356 times
While Clarksville is nice it is also a military town. Ft Cambell is right at the cities edge. Being ex military makes me not want to live anywhere near a military town...... way to much crap, rental traps and bad landlords and tenants coming and going. High turnover rates keeps the landlords on edge. Cookeville is just west/ correction / east of Nashville on I-40. Population appx 30,000 and is a small college town. Jobs are good if needed and the folks are friendly. Lots of country activities lakes, parks, golf courses and the like. Lots of shopping places and Nashville is about a one hour drive away.
Best of luck in your search...

City of Cookeville - Welcome to Cookeville!

Climate Cookeville - Tennessee and Weather averages Cookeville

Last edited by Litefoot; 08-16-2014 at 07:27 PM..

Old 08-16-2014, 07:18 PM

13,351 posts, read 39,954,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litefoot View Post
While Clarksville is nice it is also a military town. Ft Cambell is right at the cities edge. Being ex military makes me not want to live anywhere near a military town...... way to much crap, rental traps and bad landlords and tenants coming and going. High turnover rates keeps the landlords on edge. Cookeville is just west of Nashville on I-40. Population appx 30,000 and is a small college town. Jobs are good if needed and the folks are friendly. Lots of country activities lakes, parks, golf courses and the like. Lots of shopping places and Nashville is about a one hour drive away.
Best of luck in your search...

City of Cookeville - Welcome to Cookeville!

Climate Cookeville - Tennessee and Weather averages Cookeville
Cookeville is indeed an excellent suggestion. However, one little correction: Cookeville is east of Nashville, not west. Otherwise, everything else you said is spot on.

Here's the Chamber's web page which has additional information:

http://www.cookevillechamber.com/index.php

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Last edited by JMT; 08-16-2014 at 07:42 PM..

Old 08-16-2014, 07:25 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,578,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Cookeville is indeed an excellent suggestion. However, one little correction: Cookeville is east of Nashville, not west. Otherwise, everything else you said is spot on.
You are so right. Don't know what I was thinking.
Thanks for the correction..

Old 08-17-2014, 07:19 PM

196 posts, read 732,305 times
The below link is the recommendations of the State of Tennessee and is described as follows:

"The Tennessee Department of Economic and Community Development (TNECD) offers the “Retire Tennessee” program, which promotes Tennessee as a great place for retirees to call home.

The Tennessee communities participating in TNECD's Retire Tennessee program are Cumberland, Franklin, Hamilton, Hardin, Henry, Jefferson, Loudon, Maury, Putnam, Roane, Robertson, Sullivan, Warren, and White."

Retire Tennessee

Old 08-17-2014, 08:04 PM

13,351 posts, read 39,954,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving123 View Post
The below link is the recommendations of the State of Tennessee and is described as follows:

"The Tennessee Department of Economic and Community Development (TNECD) offers the “Retire Tennessee” program, which promotes Tennessee as a great place for retirees to call home.

The Tennessee communities participating in TNECD's Retire Tennessee program are Cumberland, Franklin, Hamilton, Hardin, Henry, Jefferson, Loudon, Maury, Putnam, Roane, Robertson, Sullivan, Warren, and White."

Retire Tennessee
All of those are good suggestions, too. And of those communities that the state is promoting, the only ones that are also certified by the American Association of Retirement Communities are:

Chattanooga (Hamilton County)
Cookeville (Putnam County)
Crossville (Cumberland County)
Kingsport (Sullivan County)
Paris (Henry County)
Savannah (Hardin County)

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee