U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 05:21 AM

6 posts, read 3,289 times
Default Any predominately black towns in East TN?

I love the scenery of East TN, and I am thinking of moving there.

Does anyone know of such a town?

I've noticed that most of East TN has a very low black population, and I don't want to feel out of place here.

Me and my husband telecommute for work. So no need to be concerned about jobs. We also have an interracial child (black and white) She is looking to attend college in Nashville.

We are originally from Florida, if that helps at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 08:02 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,281,832 times
Welcome to the forum! I believe there are some small towns in West TN that are predominantly black, but there's not one in East TN. We are not in the Deep South's so-called "Black Belt."

FWIW, race relations in the Tri-Cities are much better than what I saw while living in Atlanta, and interracial couples here are more common than one might expect.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:54 AM

8,889 posts, read 20,357,904 times
I agree with kamoshika. Historically East Tennessee was too mountainous and hilly for many plantations so there just has never been much of a black population around here.

Alex Haley (author of Roots) left West Tennessee and made his home in Knoxville and loved it here.

And little Livingston, Tennessee up on the Cumberland Plateau is overwhelmingly white but has a black mayor who is beloved and revered.

But if you really do want to be surrounded by other people with your skin color, you won't find that in East Tennessee. But I also don't think you'll find a whole lot of overt racism here, either.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:30 PM

5,351 posts, read 8,614,121 times
I believe Jonesborough has also had a black mayor, despite being pretty majorly white.

Knoxville has a decent black population for an east TN town. That's about it. But you'd still be living in white town. I hate west TN, but have you considered Jackson?

Old 03-01-2010, 02:34 PM

1,704 posts, read 3,954,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
I believe Jonesborough has also had a black mayor, despite being pretty majorly white.

Knoxville has a decent black population for an east TN town. That's about it. But you'd still be living in white town. I hate west TN, but have you considered Jackson?
Jackson has a sizable African-American minority, but the population is predominantly white.

And I'm sure West Tennessee loves you, too.

Old 03-01-2010, 07:07 PM

5,351 posts, read 8,614,121 times
It's 42% black. This is Tennessee. Unless you live in Memphis city, that's about as good as you'll get.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:48 PM

6 posts, read 3,289 times
Thank you for your replies.

We may just stay in FL for now.

Old 03-05-2010, 06:27 AM

3,190 posts, read 3,402,017 times
Next time you are driving through, Take the Asheville highway exit to holston hills and drive around a bit. It is an integrated upper middle class neighborhood that is just beautiful. You might decide you like it enough to put up with us white folks.

But I know what you mean, I've heard complaints that there's not a big enough AA cultural presence in Knoxville. Anyone know about Chattanooga?

Old 03-07-2010, 01:44 PM

5,101 posts, read 7,917,831 times
Travel some. When I moved here (middle TN outside of McMinnville but in Van Buren County) we had a black couple move down the road from us. I was shocked and didn't think they'd stay because of the mentality of some people. But I was floored when the community welcomed them. It didn't happen the day they moved in, but as people met them and realized they were really nice people they embraced them here. They've been here about 3 years now and are very happy. If they can be happy in this area, believe me, there's hope for any area of TN.

Old 04-25-2010, 04:59 AM

4 posts, read 5,734 times
Nashville is in middle TN. The black population is only 26% but it is a very liberal city and a democratic strong hold. There are over 12 institutions of higher education here, 3 of them being black institutions. This creates a highly educated population of blacks and whites. The city is beautiful, clean, growing, family friendly, centrally located and has a diverse economy. The cost of living is reasonable, there is residential living downtown and it has a pop. around 600,000. Nashville and Davidson County are merged, so there are many different neighborhoods to choose from. Some of them have their own mailing address but as long as you are in Davidson County you are fine. Check it out i think you might like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee