Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 08:24 AM

9 posts, read 22,739 times

Advertisements

My family and I are relocating to middle TN from FL this summer and I wanted to know from anyone else who made this move. Do you feel like it was the right thing? Did it take awhile to get use to the change in culture and scenary? Also, did you handle the winters okay?

I have visited several times and truly think TN is one of the most beautiful states in the US. Florida has changed too much for us anymore and we cannot afford our country way of life and keep our horses if we stay here. Just wanted to know how others felt about their move.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2007, 09:25 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,876,105 times
Smile Great Living

J; Our past 10 months have been enjoyable. Prior Brevard co, near Space center. Many years skiing upstate NY, so our ONE day of 2" snow was bear-able. Most everything is cheaper / friendly here in S.E. part of state. No real horse animals, just horse-power, with cycle and boats.
Electric is cheap via TVA. Insurance great, usually once/week freemusic jam night at community center, many church dinners / parties. Found lots of hiking mtn bike trails. Really enjoy mtn scenry. We still have a few FIRE_ANTS, but not invaded. FLA did Not have any Deer-Ticks, but seem to be frequent here. We are in a drought now, but like the larger variety of flowers / trees, here. Pink Redbuds, Cleveland PEAR(White), Lilac, etc.
Extra source of winter heat is a wise idea, small wood stove, or Gas fireplace for bedroom seems to be nice. Just as back-up for a multi-day outage, worst case situation.
Swimming in mtn creeks is like being a KID again. NO ALLIGATORS, New Kayak hobby, DAYTON has great HORSE / Carriage Christmas Parade. ..[/IMG]

Old 04-11-2007, 11:18 AM

Default Thanks Spilt

Thanks for your reply. We have lived in FLorida our entire lives (32 years) and are a little nervous about leaving all our family behind. Fl just isn't the same as it once was and don't like what the future looks like for this place. We have two children (10, 9) and want the best for them.

I love all the outdoor activities that are available in TN, especially the idea of no alligators. I cannot even imagine not seeing them in the lakes anymore.

Thank you again for replying.

Julie

Old 04-11-2007, 11:44 AM

115 posts, read 596,424 times
SPLIT, great post

Old 04-11-2007, 12:03 PM
kar

179 posts, read 754,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliebw View Post
My family and I are relocating to middle TN from FL this summer and I wanted to know from anyone else who made this move. Do you feel like it was the right thing? Did it take awhile to get use to the change in culture and scenary? Also, did you handle the winters okay?

I have visited several times and truly think TN is one of the most beautiful states in the US. Florida has changed too much for us anymore and we cannot afford our country way of life and keep our horses if we stay here. Just wanted to know how others felt about their move.

Thanks
We made the move from Fort Myers, Florida two years ago to middle TN for the same reasons you are wanting to move. We also brought our horse up to as well. The winters here are very mild compared to the rest of the region. It may take a little adjustment but you will do just fine. Our horse seems to do much better in this climate than in hot and humid Florida. The beauty of this area is awesome and we love the change of the seasons. If you need any other information please just ask.

Old 04-11-2007, 12:18 PM

Default Thanks Kar

We have two Qhorses and one of them does so miserably in the summer time. I just hate to see him suffering. It is so dry here that our pasture is nothing but sand too. I have so many reasons to leave Florida, but it is scary too as it is all we have known our whole lives and both of our families are here. I have so many mixed emotions. I am excited for the change, but scared as well.

I appreicate all our replies on this matter. We live in Geneva (central florida) and we love it here, but cannot touch anything out here anymore. Crime is starting to move into nearby Oviedo, which is too close for comfort. I just cannot believe how much this place has changed in just the past couple of years.

What part of Tn did you relocate to?

Old 04-11-2007, 07:14 PM

6 posts, read 26,107 times
I am in the same situation, believe it or not!! hehe! It is a major decision to relocate but one I am sure you are not taking lightly. Prayer and positive thinking will help you with all the changes! If you stay where you are, will you regret it 5-10 years down the road? I keep asking myself this same question and it helps put things in perspective. No regrets for me! Best of luck and see you in the Volunteer state!

Old 04-11-2007, 08:04 PM
kar

179 posts, read 754,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliebw View Post
We have two Qhorses and one of them does so miserably in the summer time. I just hate to see him suffering. It is so dry here that our pasture is nothing but sand too. I have so many reasons to leave Florida, but it is scary too as it is all we have known our whole lives and both of our families are here. I have so many mixed emotions. I am excited for the change, but scared as well.

I appreicate all our replies on this matter. We live in Geneva (central florida) and we love it here, but cannot touch anything out here anymore. Crime is starting to move into nearby Oviedo, which is too close for comfort. I just cannot believe how much this place has changed in just the past couple of years.

What part of Tn did you relocate to?
We live in Fairview which is about twenty five miles west of downtown Nashville. One thing will be nice for you will be a lot of pasture land for your horses. Nice green grass.

Old 04-11-2007, 08:14 PM

24 posts, read 138,972 times
We just came back from visiting Middle TN. MY DH was interviewing for a job. We visited Lewisburg, Columbia, and Shelbyville. We also went through Tullahoma, and Manchester areas. The Arear from Columbia through Lewisburg on to SHelbyville was beautiful. We saw more horses than we have ever saw in one area. The green rolling hills was gorgeous. Looking at Real Estate, you can get a nice place with acreage reasonably. I hope we are able to relocate to the area.

Old 04-12-2007, 06:02 AM

Default I don't want to live with any regrets

We know in our hearts that moving to TN is the best decision for our family. We just hate leaving all of our extended family. Reading all of your posts has helped a lot. Any time I read the Florida posts, I know we are doing the right thing. It has changed too much for the worst here.

We looked in Fairview, we liked the area. Truly love Leipers Fork, which will be where our next house is. Cannot afford it just yet. We have been looking in Rutherford County. We can get a bit more for the money, I love the Christiana, Bell Buckle area. Rural, but not out of touch with the rest of the world. I love how beautiful the countryside is there. Florida doesn't have much to offer in the way of pasture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee