U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 02:04 PM

38 posts, read 93,619 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
We may be moving to Jackson with 2 elementary aged boys. Can I get some advice on a good school district in an area surround Jackson? We don't want to live in Jackson itself due to the crime we have read about.
It looks like Henderson & Medina have good districts? Any advice would be appreciated on the best neighborhood to buy in. I know there are lots of private schools to choose from, but we at least wanted to give the public elementary systems a try before we take on private tuition & go broke

Sarah
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 07:37 AM

1,703 posts, read 5,546,664 times
Henderson and Medina are A-OK. You can't go wrong with either. I would point out a subtle difference between the two: Medina is a true suburb of Jackson. Henderson, on the other hand, is the government/economic hub of Chester County, a rural area that has become part of Jackson's suburbia by default. You'll find the folks in Henderson to be wonderful, warm, country folks; many are deeply rooted in Chester County, the rural life, agriculture, etc. That's not really the case in Medina, where growth has been exponential over the last few years and is driven almost completely by Jacksonians moving out and folks from other parts of the country being transferred to jobs in Jackson. Medina is almost completely an arm of Jackson, while Henderson is only kinda sorta so.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:47 AM

8,262 posts, read 15,970,893 times
How far out of Jackson are you wanting to live?

Old 03-19-2010, 01:07 PM

Thanks for the wondeful replies so far! (We would consider a 30 minute commute into Jackson)
I appreciate the detailed info on Henderson vs Medina. It's hard to get an idea of a place via the internet but we usually get about 2-3 days to go down & buy a house, so we like to know where to look before the trip. This will be our 5th move as a couple & I'm actually looking forward to Jackson- I love hot weather We are in Iowa now & I've been frozen since we moved here.

Old 03-20-2010, 11:18 AM

8,178 posts, read 14,264,444 times
We bought our retirement house just south of Henderson (sight unseen). When we went down to check out the area, we fell in love. Country, beautiful country. And Henderson has a university! It's a small one, but a university nonetheless. We spent quite a lot of time exploring Henderson proper and were impressed - quaint, rural, small-town and really a short commute to Jackson - especially considering the main highway is 2 lanes each way and very little traffic.

Old 03-23-2010, 05:54 AM

Thank you again. Henderson sounds lovely.
I think we will look in both Henderson & Medina. I'm a bit worried about Medina's potential school overcrowding issues. We've seen that happen in a lot of suburbs who boom to quickly. Next thing you know you have 35 kids in a class & you have to be related to the coach to get your kid on a sports team.

Old 06-13-2010, 10:02 PM

9 posts, read 20,874 times
I really dont understand why people think that Jackson is such a crime ridden town because it is not. Yes crime happens here but crime happens everywhere.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:36 PM

26 posts, read 41,353 times
I agree djones. I live in Lauderdale county and take my kids to Jackson alot (docs and stuff). I have always felt safe in Jackson. Wonderful people, wonderful shopping. It's just an all around great town.

Old 01-29-2011, 01:22 PM

1 posts, read 3,770 times
If you want a great place to raise your children, Henderson (Chester county) is the place to be. I ahd to learn the hard way by moving from Henderson to Jackson, Tn. The schools are horriable and they don't teach your kids anything. My kids went form making straight A's & B's to making low D's & F's. On the plus side in Jackson everything you need is right down the street, you have 24 hour stores, and diffrent places to shop & eat. In Henderson their tags & stickers are very exspensive, $86 just for a sticker, 3rd highest in the state. everything closes earily & opens up late. But on the plus side of that, a great place to raise a family.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:55 AM

8,178 posts, read 14,264,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplecitydime View Post
If you want a great place to raise your children, Henderson (Chester county) is the place to be. I ahd to learn the hard way by moving from Henderson to Jackson, Tn. The schools are horriable and they don't teach your kids anything. My kids went form making straight A's & B's to making low D's & F's. On the plus side in Jackson everything you need is right down the street, you have 24 hour stores, and diffrent places to shop & eat. In Henderson their tags & stickers are very exspensive, $86 just for a sticker, 3rd highest in the state. everything closes earily & opens up late. But on the plus side of that, a great place to raise a family.

This means what?

Why does one need or want a tag or sticker?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee