Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2010, 07:01 PM

2 posts, read 7,340 times

Advertisements

From what I've read on the internet and these forums, Athens seemed like just the kind of town I was looking for, until I came across its crime statistics. Reports say aggravated assault, burglary, property crime and violent crime in general is much higher than the national average. Is this true, and if so what is it about this town that provokes such behavior? Is local enforcement doing anything to stop it? Thanks so much for your views on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 10:22 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Based on statistics from the McMinn County Sheriff's office, it does seem high.

They're probably motivated by drugs. I'd bet on meth.

WBIR.com | Knoxville, TN | McMinn busts most meth labs in TN

Old 05-12-2010, 01:42 PM

70 posts, read 298,879 times
Default McMinn County

Hi, RubyRedHeart!

My wife and I have lived in McMinn County (Athens is the county seat) for about 12 years now - and before that, we lived in Bradley County (the next county down toward Chattanooga). We love it here! We drive into Athens almost every day and eat there quite often. It is one of the very few places we have EVER lived where we wouldn't be afraid to walk through town any time of the day or night. Furthermore, Tennessee Weslyan College is right in the middle of Athens so it also has something of a small college town atmosphere.

Yes, McMinn County has a meth problem but then, it seems that stuff is almost everywhere these days. And yes, there are areas of the county definitely considered "out in the sticks" but those areas represent only a small portion of the overall area - which is really quite beautiful.

Actually, I am somewhat surprised to see McMinn County referred to as a place with a lot of crime. One normally thinks of that sort of thing in the metro areas. I guess I would have to wonder where those stats came from???

Old 05-12-2010, 01:54 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times
US crime index----320.9
Athens------------737.1

OUCH !

Old 05-12-2010, 08:01 PM

1 posts, read 5,007 times
Well it probably doesn't help that the small mountain areas swell a LOT during tourist season... Meaning, if a crime is committed by a tourist/trucker/etc. WE get the statistic, instead of their state.

Don't worry about Athens, I highly recommend it! THe place is just lovely

Old 05-12-2010, 08:12 PM

431 posts, read 1,219,140 times
Default Strange.

I'd say a lot of it is domestic.....meaning between family members/friends/people who already know each other. That is what a lot of the crime is in the area where I live.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:02 AM

70 posts, read 298,879 times
Not too much tourist traffic in little ol' Athens, unless they get lost on their way to Gatlinburg!

Old 05-13-2010, 02:17 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botts View Post
Not too much tourist traffic in little ol' Athens, unless they get lost on their way to Gatlinburg!
That's what I observed also.
Surprised to read some consider Athens a vacation mecca.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee