Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 06:51 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,152,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
After living in the SF bay area for most of my life I can tell you that IMO earthquake insurance is pretty much a waste of money. The deductable is outragous to the point of making it a joke (20-30%) and many things are excluded. All of my insurance agents over the years have told me not to waste my money on it but if you want it they will sell it to you. While your homeowners insurance will not cover the quake damage it does cover fire/water damage which tends to happen if you get shaken bad enough. So in the case of the last SF quake where the houses were shaken then caught fire and burned they were covered.
I wonder if a few people didn't put a match to their own . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2007, 11:21 AM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
795 posts, read 2,797,910 times
Interesting reading about the New Madrid Fault Line here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Madrid_Seismic_Zone

Old 06-17-2007, 11:18 PM

44 posts, read 420,227 times
Default insurance Allstate

Allstate sent me a letter last month telling me they will no longer offer earth quake insurance! Do they know something? I have felt 2 small ones in Clarksville in the last 20 years. A real big one on madrid like they had here a couple hundread years ago could do serious damage.

Earthquake "Top 10" Lists & Maps

Old 06-18-2007, 06:57 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,897,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam4givin View Post
Allstate sent me a letter last month telling me they will no longer offer earth quake insurance! Do they know something? I have felt 2 small ones in Clarksville in the last 20 years. A real big one on madrid like they had here a couple hundread years ago could do serious damage.

I am guessing the restriction is in response to the hemorraging that they are doing in other states at this time. I think they are just trying to reduce liability in other areas.

Old 06-18-2007, 07:38 PM

111 posts, read 374,150 times
I'm close to the Smokies and been here all my life, I've heard them mentioned on the news but to this day have never felt one. It's a wonder they don't try to sell asteroid insurance. Watch on you ploicies about flood insurance though.

Old 11-29-2007, 07:14 AM

1 posts, read 3,712 times
Default Sinkholes & serious questions in Clarksville, Tn

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
There are sink holes in Tennessee. Most of the time they're not as dramatic as some I've seen in Florida and elsewhere; I've see some of those on TV that swallow a whole neighborhood. It's rare to have a home be damaged by one here, but it does happen.
As I've quoted the statement made by alleycat. That begins a couple of questions in my mind about Clarksville, TN:

1) Is there a "Sink Hole" map for Clarksville, Tn. Showing where a lot of these holes are or might be?

2) If there are "sinkholes" due to whatever reason. How come new home buyers are not told about it. Nor are there any resources to find out if any have been reported in a neighborhood where you choose to live?

I mean really. As a member of the armed forces we are not told much about where we are going or the type of land all houses are built on, Just what we need to concern our selves with: FT.Campbell it self, Schools, The typical cost of housing in the KY, TN area, Some problem areas where we as service members cannot go or live in. Your duty unit, the name of your sponsor that will assist you in moving into this area and how to in process into FT. Campbell

If I have no idea about buried timber beneath the property where I will live or about a person that has owned the land previously that built a shaft on the property to place the remains of a skinning business he owned there. ect, ect, ect. How can I a new home owner. Who is new to the area and I'm deployable within 90 days of my arrival to this area. How can I give my family any sense of safety that where they live has no sink holes or we at lest know "where there located" on the property we now own. (Deployable means I can be sent to Iraq or Afghanistan within 90 days of my arrival to the FT. Campbell area) How can I do the job I must if home sellers leave out critical information that I have no knowledge of for the area I now live.

Such as: How many child molesters live in the area I may choose to buy my home? Have there been any break-ins within the last 180-365 days for the house I want to live-in or the surrounding area? Are there Sinkholes in the property I live? Will I need to protect my home and investments with sinkhole, Flood, Earth Quake Insurance? How close is a manned firehouse? (24 hrs a day 7 days a week paid by the city or state) {I've herd of "Volunteer Fireman/Part-Time fireman" that’s not what I want to protect my home. I want fireman that are paid and available 24;7}

If I choose to purchase the home I want or that suits all my family's need will I have to pay more insurance just because of sinkholes I know nothing about or that I live in a flood zone ect, ect

I understand that there is a lot in this note. It addresses my most recent concerns. Some of which have happened to me since I've moved here. If I had known before I left my last duty station; I would have never lived in the place where I now reside. How can a solider, parent, just someone who just wants to look out for his or her own family deal when it seems that the new place has stuff "set-up" against us. Oh for the FYI for all who see this. I deployed within 35 days after me and my family got here. How can I help my family and make sound timely decisions if it seems that most sellers have a hidden agenda or that are only concerned about "$". I really don't mind that much just give me an even keel to make a decision for my family that will be without my help or assistance for almost 2 yrs at a time. There is some help available but not a lot. Anyone who can tell me some links to where I can go to check-out this info or how do I go about finding out about this
Info. Would be a great help to me. Maybe just maybe I can help the next person that is sent to FT. Campbell to my unit to help them to make the best decision they can without selling their family’s short or just giving them information to help them in a very limited time they have before their loved one will be deployed. I use to have an ol’ saying: The only thing true in life is death and taxes.” I guess I’ll stop saying that now and change it up a bit. That’s my story yall…sorry it took as long as it did. It’s just that I had a lot on my plate.

Jim Cricket

Old 11-29-2007, 11:32 AM

869 posts, read 1,773,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam4givin View Post

I'm an Allstate agent. We stopped selling earthquake insurance nationwide last year. You may one of the last policyholders to still have the coverage. But, agents are able to still offer the coverage thru another company if they choose to. If you are in a fault line area, you probably did sign up for that. I'm not, so I didn't bother.

Area's in TN and the midwest aren't why the coverage was discontined. It was a very line coverage for Allstate that could have horrible claim results. Much better to let companies who specialize in the coverage and can offer better rating to have the business.

Old 11-29-2007, 06:28 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,035,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkman View Post
I'm an Allstate agent. We stopped selling earthquake insurance nationwide last year. You may one of the last policyholders to still have the coverage. But, agents are able to still offer the coverage thru another company if they choose to. If you are in a fault line area, you probably did sign up for that. I'm not, so I didn't bother.

Area's in TN and the midwest aren't why the coverage was discontined. It was a very line coverage for Allstate that could have horrible claim results. Much better to let companies who specialize in the coverage and can offer better rating to have the business.
Sparkman, it seems that Allstate has reduced their exposure in quite a few areas, and thus, non renewal...

Old 11-29-2007, 06:51 PM

869 posts, read 1,773,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Sparkman, it seems that Allstate has reduced their exposure in quite a few areas, and thus, non renewal...

Yes, they have. One thing all the natural weather disasters in the lst few years has proved is that, in an area that may be prone to a major event, you can't have more exposure than you can buy reinsurance for. This is causing companies to review their options and Allstate has taken the option to reduce exposure. Since Allstate is now a stock company, the effect on the stock drives most decisions the company now makes. Not saying I agree with it, nut it's the way it is.

Here's a piece of info that will put a little perspective on it for you. When Andrew hit the Miami area in the 1990's, the money that Allstate paid out in claims exceded the amount of money that the company had taken in in premiums in the state of FL since they started writing policies there! After that happened, thought processes started to change. It took the events of the last few years for the changes to be put into force.

Old 11-30-2007, 12:24 AM

44 posts, read 420,227 times
Default If only!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimaney Cricket View Post
As I've quoted the statement made by alleycat. That begins a couple of questions in my mind about Clarksville, TN:

1) Is there a "Sink Hole" map for Clarksville, Tn. Showing where a lot of these holes are or might be?

2) If there are "sinkholes" due to whatever reason. How come new home buyers are not told about it. Nor are there any resources to find out if any have been reported in a neighborhood where you choose to live?

I mean really. As a member of the armed forces we are not told much about where we are going or the type of land all houses are built on, Just what we need to concern our selves with: FT.Campbell it self, Schools, The typical cost of housing in the KY, TN area, Some problem areas where we as service members cannot go or live in. Your duty unit, the name of your sponsor that will assist you in moving into this area and how to in process into FT. Campbell

If I have no idea about buried timber beneath the property where I will live or about a person that has owned the land previously that built a shaft on the property to place the remains of a skinning business he owned there. ect, ect, ect. How can I a new home owner. Who is new to the area and I'm deployable within 90 days of my arrival to this area. How can I give my family any sense of safety that where they live has no sink holes or we at lest know "where there located" on the property we now own. (Deployable means I can be sent to Iraq or Afghanistan within 90 days of my arrival to the FT. Campbell area) How can I do the job I must if home sellers leave out critical information that I have no knowledge of for the area I now live.

Such as: How many child molesters live in the area I may choose to buy my home? Have there been any break-ins within the last 180-365 days for the house I want to live-in or the surrounding area? Are there Sinkholes in the property I live? Will I need to protect my home and investments with sinkhole, Flood, Earth Quake Insurance? How close is a manned firehouse? (24 hrs a day 7 days a week paid by the city or state) {I've herd of "Volunteer Fireman/Part-Time fireman" that’s not what I want to protect my home. I want fireman that are paid and available 24;7}

If I choose to purchase the home I want or that suits all my family's need will I have to pay more insurance just because of sinkholes I know nothing about or that I live in a flood zone ect, ect

I understand that there is a lot in this note. It addresses my most recent concerns. Some of which have happened to me since I've moved here. If I had known before I left my last duty station; I would have never lived in the place where I now reside. How can a solider, parent, just someone who just wants to look out for his or her own family deal when it seems that the new place has stuff "set-up" against us. Oh for the FYI for all who see this. I deployed within 35 days after me and my family got here. How can I help my family and make sound timely decisions if it seems that most sellers have a hidden agenda or that are only concerned about "$". I really don't mind that much just give me an even keel to make a decision for my family that will be without my help or assistance for almost 2 yrs at a time. There is some help available but not a lot. Anyone who can tell me some links to where I can go to check-out this info or how do I go about finding out about this
Info. Would be a great help to me. Maybe just maybe I can help the next person that is sent to FT. Campbell to my unit to help them to make the best decision they can without selling their family’s short or just giving them information to help them in a very limited time they have before their loved one will be deployed. I use to have an ol’ saying: The only thing true in life is death and taxes.” I guess I’ll stop saying that now and change it up a bit. That’s my story yall…sorry it took as long as it did. It’s just that I had a lot on my plate.

Jim Cricket
You bring up so many good questions! The only info out of all that that you can half way check out is the sex ofenders of course you can only find out about the ones that actually report where they live. I was shocked how many we have that do!
Sink holes are every where here! Have you seen the property Walmart is trying to sell next to thier store in Oak Grove? Looks like more sink hole than not! Is someone going to buy that?!
In case you have not found out yet we have a lot of wonderful police here but when you call 911 getting some of those people to notify police with out first asking you sevral not needed questions is a chance we take when we should not have to be taking chances! (Even if you do not die or get killed before you answer all those questions they still might decide you do not need someone to come, and they do not let you know they decided that unless you call back and ask why no one has come! And what happens when you complain to the supervisor? She defends her employees even when it is plain clear they are not!)
Sex offenders info: Location Based Services
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee