U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-30-2007, 12:31 AM

44 posts, read 227,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkman View Post
I'm an Allstate agent. We stopped selling earthquake insurance nationwide last year. You may one of the last policyholders to still have the coverage. But, agents are able to still offer the coverage thru another company if they choose to. If you are in a fault line area, you probably did sign up for that. I'm not, so I didn't bother.

Area's in TN and the midwest aren't why the coverage was discontined. It was a very line coverage for Allstate that could have horrible claim results. Much better to let companies who specialize in the coverage and can offer better rating to have the business.

Who are these "companies who specialize in the coverage"?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2007, 12:40 AM

44 posts, read 227,850 times
Default Paid out that much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkman View Post
Yes, they have. One thing all the natural weather disasters in the lst few years has proved is that, in an area that may be prone to a major event, you can't have more exposure than you can buy reinsurance for. This is causing companies to review their options and Allstate has taken the option to reduce exposure. Since Allstate is now a stock company, the effect on the stock drives most decisions the company now makes. Not saying I agree with it, nut it's the way it is.

Here's a piece of info that will put a little perspective on it for you. When Andrew hit the Miami area in the 1990's, the money that Allstate paid out in claims exceded the amount of money that the company had taken in in premiums in the state of FL since they started writing policies there! After that happened, thought processes started to change. It took the events of the last few years for the changes to be put into force.
Paid out that much? According to who? How do we really know that? How many years have they took in way more in all areas than they paid out? And is that what they paid out or what they got sued for not paying when they should have?
thought processes started to change? From lets make lots of money at the expense of people to what?
I paid them for 10 years never having a claim, my dog scatches someone and they raised my insuance a third higher than what it was!

Old 11-30-2007, 10:42 AM

395 posts, read 574,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam4givin View Post
Paid out that much? According to who? How do we really know that? How many years have they took in way more in all areas than they paid out? And is that what they paid out or what they got sued for not paying when they should have?
thought processes started to change? From lets make lots of money at the expense of people to what?
I paid them for 10 years never having a claim, my dog scatches someone and they raised my insuance a third higher than what it was!

Insurance Companies set their rates, underwriting guidleines, etc by state, so the profits/losses they will make in one state will have no affect on the rates in another state. And, since a claim free discount was probably applied to your policy, when you had a claim, you lost that discount and the rate went up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam4givin View Post
Who are these "companies who specialize in the coverage"?
We broker it out thru a company in Ca called Pacific Specialty.

Last edited by mbmouse; 12-05-2007 at 05:33 AM..

Old 12-01-2007, 07:49 PM

5 posts, read 10,446 times
AlleyCat
My wife and I are retired and moving from the Boston area to TN to escape weather conditions of coastline getting closer. Also what I hear about global warming and falt shifting. Of all of the U.S. to pick from. Should I pick another state ???
We were thinking on moving near Tracy City called Sewanee Creek as in www,SewaneeCreek.com.
Please advise Doug/Norma

Old 12-02-2007, 12:47 PM

6,300 posts, read 15,343,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKWebber View Post
AlleyCat
My wife and I are retired and moving from the Boston area to TN to escape weather conditions of coastline getting closer. Also what I hear about global warming and falt shifting. Of all of the U.S. to pick from. Should I pick another state ???
We were thinking on moving near Tracy City called Sewanee Creek as in www,SewaneeCreek.com.
Please advise Doug/Norma
In Middle Tennessee the earthquake risk is somewhere between falling on a banana peel and being hit by a meteor. A large enough earthquake along the New Madrid fault to cause damage in Middle Tennessee could happen I suppose, but it would be a 1-in-500-years type of thing.

As far as global warming goes . . . you're on you own there. I have no idea what the long-term effect is going to be. Al Gore lives just down the road from me . . . he didn't hesitate to buy a house in Belle Meade. ;-)

And . . . we typically warn people about develpments heavily advertised out of state. Some of them are just fine, and some of them are overpriced and under developed. I don't know anything about Sewanee Creek and it might be one of the good ones; I'm just suggesting you use caution and do your homework before signing any papers. Buy "what's there", not what someone promises is going to be there. If they tell you that roads and utilities are going to be put in in the next year . . . tell 'em to call you when they're in.

Old 12-04-2007, 11:44 PM

1 posts, read 2,119 times
Default Clarksville earthquakes

We have been in clarksville for 4 years and continue to feel what we call earthquakes. It shakes our house and it very intense. We havnt been able to find any authority that can tell us if this is underground explosions or earthquakes. Its good to know that someone else is experiencing the same thing. If anyone has anymore information on these cannon like explosions that rock and rumble the ground and houses it would be nice to hear.

Old 12-05-2007, 12:05 AM

6,300 posts, read 15,343,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt2007 View Post
We have been in clarksville for 4 years and continue to feel what we call earthquakes. It shakes our house and it very intense. We havnt been able to find any authority that can tell us if this is underground explosions or earthquakes. Its good to know that someone else is experiencing the same thing. If anyone has anymore information on these cannon like explosions that rock and rumble the ground and houses it would be nice to hear.
I'd be willing to bet that what you're feeling is either someone blasting in the general area, or they're firing something at Ft. Campbell (they used to have a big gun there called the Vulcan that you could feel all the way across the county). I don't think there's been any earthquakes in the past four years that were of a large enough magnitude for someone to say they felt it "rumbling". At least I don't remember anything being on the news about any earthquakes like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee