Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2006, 12:46 PM

4 posts, read 12,608 times

Advertisements

Our family may be moving from upstate NY to the Memphis area and are a little concerned about the crime statistics and the cost of parochial school. We have three elementary school age children. My brother-in-law who lives near Nashville said that Germantown seemed to be a very nice area. Please give me your thoughts about Germantown or other nice areas to live near Memphis. Also, please give me any info on private schools or homeschool groups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2006, 01:40 PM

37 posts, read 200,818 times
Gerrmantown is your best option in Memphis. There are some beautiful "old south" neighborhoods closer to downtown but if you have kids I recommend staying with Germantown.

Old 08-06-2006, 06:08 PM

113 posts, read 529,718 times
Germantown would be considered upscale, for Memphis. But to tell you the truth you are not going to do better escaping crime there than anywhere else. I am not saying crime is horrible in the suburbs. But Germantown is not the only place to pick from. My suggestion would be to research the schools you are interested in and then go from there. Also, where will you be working. How far do you want to be from the children's school and your work? Lakeland, Germantown, Bartlett, and Collierville are very family friendly areas. Also, there is always the option of Tipton or Desoto County. I have a child in private school and I know how important it is to feel comfortable with your choices. Let me know if I can give you any more info.
Good Luck!

Old 08-06-2006, 07:34 PM

2 posts, read 12,411 times
Default Missing the big city....

I moved from Tennessee two years ago. We lived in Cordova and my oldest son went to Cordova Elementary. I would certainly recommend the Cordova area and the school. We have close friends that live in Fayette County (lower taxes and more house for your money, out Hwy 64) and send their children to First Assembly (Private school) on Walnut Grove Road. Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee