Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 06:59 PM

180 posts, read 748,306 times

Advertisements

I'll check out the website. I didn't realize there was anything like that on the web. Great!! Thank you very much.

PacaLady
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2007, 07:44 AM

24 posts, read 123,369 times
PacaLady, Have you considered Jamestown. It is on top of the cumberland plateau without so much of the red clay soil. We have a fantastic vet in town and are less than hour and half to UT Vet Hosptial for major emergencies.

Old 06-26-2007, 10:30 AM

Wink mickimouse

Thanks for the hint ... I'll check it out!! Appreciate your input.

PacaLady

Old 06-27-2007, 03:38 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,507,453 times
This is a great link, Just Click on search by state then search by county....
LandAndFarm.com - Land for sale, Farms for sale, Rural Property for sale

Old 06-27-2007, 10:45 PM

Tinman313
Thanks ... I visit that site regularly .... and we're still looking.
Have airline tickets to KY end of July, and will try to get back to Knoxville to see the grandbaby and kids at the same time......so we're still looking at 'everything'!
Thanks again
PacaLady

Old 06-28-2007, 07:45 AM

59 posts, read 284,687 times
The best time to look for land in Tennessee is mid winter, not mid summer. It looks its worst then, and if you like it winter, you will love it in the summer. From spring on, it looks seductively green, and that greenery can hide a lot of things that may turn out to be undesirable, as in trashy neighbors and littered roadsides, etc.

From someone who has spent months looking at and for land in E. Tenn. Bought some, too.

Old 07-06-2007, 02:08 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,507,453 times
Exclamation Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacalady View Post
Tinman313
Thanks ... I visit that site regularly .... and we're still looking.
Have airline tickets to KY end of July, and will try to get back to Knoxville to see the grandbaby and kids at the same time......so we're still looking at 'everything'!
Thanks again
PacaLady
In that site theirs a 35 acre track near Sparta and it has a nice price.......

Old 07-10-2007, 04:29 PM

3 posts, read 18,974 times
Default sred

Hey,
Have you tried shelbyville,tn? Shelbyville has alot of farmland for sale.My uncle use to have lamas and pacas in the country in shelbyville,tn.

Old 07-10-2007, 11:32 PM

Default Hello Alleycat!

Thanks for the reply. I agree that Nashville airport would be a better 'airport' for flying out of, but Knoxville isn't bad (been there from here a few times). The thing that has us both concerned is a) accessibility to camelid trained vet care. Although these are very hardy animals, and very 'stoic', that also means that sometimes we only have a very short window of time to get the proper care!! Because we have a small herd, feed twice a day, and have other daily outside chores as well, we can pretty much 'read' a behavior that is 'off' ....kind of like being able when your friend is sad, or nervous, without them actually telling you.

There are alpaca farms all over, but few camelid trained vets available and they rely on the large animal (horse, cow etc vet) for care. It usually works, but once in a while we need an 'expert' close by. This happened to us last year with the delivery of a cria (baby)..... it all turned out fine in the end, but we ran the risk of losing the mom (I was SURE the baby didn't make it by the time we left the farm for the vet) but am very thankful to report we have a wonderful, show quality female that is now a year old because of the vet care close by!! ....not to mention her mom and this year's equally promising baby (who I caught being born, and weighed in at over 20 lbs!! ) . So we would like to be in a quasi close proximity to a camelid vet (i.e. Ohio University, North of Lexington Kentucky are quite a few, but not many south we were told by the camelid vet at National Alpaca show in Louisville in May this year) b) close proximity to other alpaca shows .... such as Pennsylvania, Ohio, Kentucky, Tennesse, Indiana etc etc. Here in the west, shows are limited to end of April and May ... (before shearing time) and the next ones are in the fall ...September ... in California. We can compete in more shows on the east coast if the location is more condusive..... we're still researching all of that though!!

We're still looking at this trip as an 'investigative one'. Coming from a very dry climate into a very humid one has a lot of consideration for us (the reason we planned our trip for end of July!! Testing ourselves!!) We need to spend this week-long trip evaluating if our 50+ old bodies can withstand a climate change like this, as well as investigate what we might need to do to minimize the climate change for the animals! (Including the LGD, the house dog and 2 outdoor cats!).

We haven't scratched anything of our list yet! We may need to plan yet another trip to East TN (closer to G-baby!! in the next few months ....) We aren't in any hurry!!!

Sure appreciate your input, and please feel free to 'steer us in the right direction'!!

FYI: I looked at two properties while in Knoxville at the end of Feb .... one was in Tazewell next door to a small 'speedway' ... the other between there and Knox (I wasn't as familiar with the map then as now). Had a great lunch at a hamburger place between there and Knox too ... this age thing is driving me nuts with my memory, but I sure remember the burger!! Good thing my son and d-in-law know the one!!! Tried a 'fried pickle' too! Couldn't believe how GOOOD it was!!! (Didn't care much for the 'greens and beans' though at Cracker Barrel!! Anyway, both the properties I looked at were clay soil, and we need a 'loam' type soil ....

Again, sure appreciate any info I get. Thank you for your advice!!

PacaLady

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
What are you not finding?

I might have thought someplace around Smithville could work for you.

And I wouldn't scratch East Tennessee off your list offhand. I know you said there was red clay someplace you looked, but I don't think that's typical for the whole region. The airport is better in Nashville, but you can fly out of Knoxville. I'm sure there is lots of places in East Tennessee where you could raise alpacas.

Old 07-10-2007, 11:38 PM

Tinman & Sred
Thank you ALSO for your input .... I meant to include you in my other post ....but got caught up in the 'alpaca' stuff. You both make good points, and we are 'still on the hunt' .....

As I said in the message to Alleycat ..... we're still in the investigative stages, and don't HAVE to buy now ..... we have time to find just the right place.

We're appreciative of all the help we get from the city-data forum and it's members for sure! Nothing like having someone 'live' to talk to ...... I get pretty frustrated with all the stats, and satellite images that don't tell me 'everything' I'd like to know about what life is really like! City-Data has certainly done all us 'movers' a great service by allowing us to 'talk' to people in the know!!

Please feel free to continue to guide us! And thank you!!

PacaLady
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee