Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles > Tesla
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 09:24 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I test drove every car I've ever purchased.
For new cars, I never really have. I just sit in it and check the room (I am 6'4"), if my arms can rest in a comfortable position while driving, and if the controls are how I like, that is about it.

For used cars, I take for a spin to see if there are any issues.

I pretty much stay in the same class of cars, so I am not hopping from one type to another, which may help. I did not test drive my first new car, a 1996 F-350, I ordered it, and never even drove a demo, figured it was not that much different than my 25 year old truck, and if anything would be an improvement.

I never did test drive a new car, my only concern is how it feels after two or three hours of driving, which no test drive is going to give. I can just sit in one and figure out if I like it or not.

No one I know has test driven a car for a long time, not even my mom who bought one recently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 09:24 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,545,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I have seen Tesla stores in a mall that display the cars, you can sit in them and look around the car, but cannot test drive it.

I have not test driven the four cars I bought, and I cannot recall anyone recently that has test drove a car they purchased. Really, the real test of comfort is after two hours of driving, much longer than test drives are.
Depending on where you are (and if the law allows it) they might have had Teslas to test drive. I was at a mall in L.A. and they actually had a few Teslas in the parking garage for test drives. I think it was by appointment only though.

Old 10-23-2014, 06:36 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,282,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
They provide a place for the shopper to take a look at and test drive the vehicle before they buy it.

Who wants to pay $40,000 or more for a car based on a picture on the internet? The pic might stir your interest, but until the car is looked at thoroughly, side by side with other vehicles being offered, its tough to commit to such a large purchase.
Actually, Tesla stores have cars to test drive, as well as in store cars to sit in and study. it's much liek going to an Aston MArtin store and seeing a couple of the examples to see if you fit, and then ordering up your car with every bit of it customized to your tastes (though the Aston is $300k and the Tesla is only $75-100k). Buyers are responding quite well to that sales model, and the non pushyk, non commisioned sales force that actually knows about the cars they are selling, unlike the typical sleazy car salesman at many traditional dealerships.

There ARE good traditional dealerships, and allowing the Tesla store to compete will only make them better.

Old 10-23-2014, 07:42 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
They provide a place for the shopper to take a look at and test drive the vehicle before they buy it.

Who wants to pay $40,000 or more for a car based on a picture on the internet? The pic might stir your interest, but until the car is looked at thoroughly, side by side with other vehicles being offered, its tough to commit to such a large purchase.
Dealerships do serve a purpose. But there is no purpose served by mandating that the dealership cannot be owned by the manufacturer.

Tesla wants dealers everywhere. They just want to own and run them.

Old 10-23-2014, 07:49 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,832,165 times
What if you have QC issues with a new purchase or need to Lemon Law your vehicle and there are no dealerships in your area?

Old 10-23-2014, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
What if you have QC issues with a new purchase or need to Lemon Law your vehicle and there are no dealerships in your area?
What do you do about exotic cars that are in that boat? Like my Aston Martin example? How many Aston dealerships are in your area? Hell, what about regular dealerships if you live in West Podunk Arkansas? You deal with it.

In Tesla's case, they come and pick up your car and take it to a factory service center. Or if the problem is software based, they simply log into your car and download a patch or an update.

Old 10-23-2014, 08:08 AM

Exotic? Hardly. Tesla is not on the same level as Aston Martin.

Legal responsibility is more the issue when dealing with an out of state entity.

You have been acting like an ass lately. Rethink your BS attitude.

Old 10-23-2014, 08:21 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Quote:
Do you not understand that if you own a Tesla in Michigan you can get it repaired? Tesla has service facilities. They just aren't dealerships.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Exotic? Hardly. Tesla is not on the same level as Aston Martin.
No, but you are treated the same. And for a $100k car, I'd expect that.

Quote:
Legal responsibility is more the issue when dealing with an out of state entity.
Again, it's no different than anyone in rural areas dealing with import makes, like BMW or Mercedes if you are living outside the coastal areas. How do you think buyers in rural areas deal with those cars?

Quote:
You have been acting like an ass lately. Rethink your BS attitude.
BS attitude? YOU'RE the one complaining. I'm just trying to get you to see that your complaints are out of line and are logically dealt with the same as many other car makes are dealt with.

Again, If you have a quality issue with the Tesla you just bought, you contact the Tesla store and if it's software related, they deal with it wirelessly in the car, and if it's mechanical or body/paint/fit/finish, then they pick it up and take care of it at their closest service facility. How is telling you that a BS attitude?

Old 10-23-2014, 01:18 PM

I read some of your responses to other posters lately in a few threads and am surprised at your condescension and rudeness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles > Tesla