Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles > Tesla
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 11:40 AM

2,175 posts, read 4,299,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Please.
The claim was supercharging was free. I said they ended it 2 years ago. Your weak counter argument was “no, they ended this year”...lol whatever. You’re just fishing for technicalities
No, that's not what I said. Your aversion to accuracy makes me wonder if you're really an engineer in the airline industry. If it is true, hopefully you're designing fluff like tray tables and armrests, and nothing important to make the plane work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2018, 03:35 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,948,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK123 View Post
No, that's not what I said. Your aversion to accuracy makes me wonder if you're really an engineer in the airline industry. If it is true, hopefully you're designing fluff like tray tables and armrests, and nothing important to make the plane work.
Dude my response wasn’t to your claim. You’re just the peanut gallery.
Try and keep up.

Old 10-14-2018, 10:45 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,068,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is the same issue the OP acknowledged: "delivery hell". Doesn't really add much to the discussion.
Did you read the article? It is actually questioning whether or not there IS a "delivery hell", and instead raises the possibility that there are very large undisclosed problems with recently-built autos, or maybe large numbers are "being hidden" because there are not as many buyers as Tesla purports, lest they burst the bubble of "excess demand". Hey, don't shoot the messenger, I didn't write the article, it was penned by a New York Times reporter, not exactly the National Enquirer. I have no idea whether the allegations it raises are true or not, I'm interested in Tesla but as of yet have not formed a definite opinion on its future, other than they don't make a vehicle I want at a price I want to pay.

Old 10-26-2018, 09:57 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,896,280 times
Tesla returned a profit!! I'm so proud of them! They proved everyone wrong an American Car company changing the world of automotive once again! Even VW has acknowledged their main competitor is Tesla, the Germans should be buying TEslas not the other way around. lol https://arstechnica.com/cars/2018/10...critics-wrong/

Old 10-26-2018, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
Tesla returned a profit!! I'm so proud of them! They proved everyone wrong an American Car company changing the world of automotive once again! Even VW has acknowledged their main competitor is Tesla, the Germans should be buying TEslas not the other way around. lol https://arstechnica.com/cars/2018/10...critics-wrong/
I didn’t think this quarter would be difficult for them. I think it’s a perfect storm for being their best quarter.
Since I’m the official Tesla naysayer I’ll share the following from a skeptics perspective:
The good news for this quarter:
1) Pent up demand. The people who love Tesla but couldn’t afford a Model S are finally sort of able to get one.
2) Last quarter to get full $7500 tax credit.
3) Production bottlenecks finally worked out.

The challenges here on out:
1) demand outside of the EV car fans. Elon’s goal is to sell 500k to 1m Model 3’s a year. Most likely not realistic outside the EV fanbase.
2) stock price is still less than it was back when being profitable was a distant dream.
3) Tesla’s up coming debts require a stock price of at least $360 to cover. So far under the best of circumstances the stock right now is about $20 short.
4) competition is increasing. Making money spokes competition. Hence VW and company will make competitive EV products.
5) end of tax credit. Competition outside of GM have a $7500 tax credit advantage from here on out.
6) Elon plans on sinking more money into what will most likely be a money losing pickup truck gamble. I’m not a fan of trucks but the people I know who are will refuse anything that remotely comes off as “green”. It’s a completely different crowd than urban tech junkies. Most of what Elon claims as a game changer like high low end torque, 4wd, and load leveling is already a thing.
7) Tesla reliability is annually taking a hit from Consumer Reports. They’re now listed as either average or below average reliability.

Old 10-26-2018, 11:50 AM

Congrats, Ziggy. This is one of your better posts - intelligent and factual, for a change.

That said, I disagree with you that competition is heating up, even from VW (see link below). It will be several years, at minimum, until there is a competitor and no other EV has a nationwide fast charging network.

I do agree with you about pickup trucks, however, the off-the-line acceleration may entice the rednecks.

One thing you left out is inroads into China. They just bought land in Shanghai for another battery factory. China is the world's largest car market, by far, and because of the horrendous pollution there, their gov't is very much pushing towards EVs.

Don't know if you've seen it, but one of Tesla's biggest naysayers has changed his tune:
https://citronresearch.com/wp-conten...-to-ignore.pdf

Old 10-26-2018, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK123 View Post
Congrats, Ziggy. This is one of your better posts - intelligent and factual, for a change.

That said, I disagree with you that competition is heating up, even from VW (see link below). It will be several years, at minimum, until there is a competitor and no other EV has a nationwide fast charging network.

I do agree with you about pickup trucks, however, the off-the-line acceleration may entice the rednecks.

One thing you left out is inroads into China. They just bought land in Shanghai for another battery factory. China is the world's largest car market, by far, and because of the horrendous pollution there, their gov't is very much pushing towards EVs.

Don't know if you've seen it, but one of Tesla's biggest naysayers has changed his tune:
https://citronresearch.com/wp-conten...-to-ignore.pdf
The average large automaker can make a car from concept to production in less than 3 years. If it’s not competition tomorrow, it might be the day after tomorrow.

Yes rednecks do love them some accleration. That being said, you can’t say it’s good for the environment or you will get made fun of. Might as well put a” coexists” sticker on their bumper.

Tesla’s biggest nasayers is just as equally as able to be paid off as anybody else.

Old 10-26-2018, 02:59 PM

Maybe 3 years for a new ICE, but an EV is a paradigm shift in design.

There's still the fast charging network, too.

First time you made me laugh, with "coexists."

Old 10-26-2018, 04:26 PM

3,798 posts, read 2,324,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
The average large automaker can make a car from concept to production in less than 3 years. If it’s not competition tomorrow, it might be the day after tomorrow.
And yet they've had since 2011 and still nothing matches the Model S or X. Even the new E-tron and Mercedes offerings are a yawn. Jag's is closest and it's nowhere near as efficient or quick.

Sorry, but Tesla has the lead and it's just a battle for a distant second between the rest of the manufacturers.

I like the Bolt, but people aren't lining up for it, even though it's cheaper and can go good distances. Tesla just has the formula down and it's going to be years before anyone matches it.

Now, the Kia Nero and Hyundai Kona EVs are great efforts in the CUV space, but even there, let Tesla enter that market and it'll be game over for those two, as they won't have the performance or range that the Tesla Model Y will undoubtedly have.

Only one I can see being a legitimate competitor is the Taycan, which will perform great, look great, and still be priced to match. But it's still a year out.

The Model 3 has a huge market to itself still, and hasn't even been released in Europe and Asia. If Tesla keeps going at this rate for the next two years (which is probable) they will have been turning a profit each quarter going forward (just like they did this quarter). Even people going short on TSLA stock are changing their tune.

I don't have a Tesla, nor do I have TSLA stock, but I love seeing an American start up company taking on established players and forcing the industry's hand. And doing much better than Elio or Faraday.

Old 10-27-2018, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
And yet they've had since 2011 and still nothing matches the Model S or X. Even the new E-tron and Mercedes offerings are a yawn. Jag's is closest and it's nowhere near as efficient or quick.

Sorry, but Tesla has the lead and it's just a battle for a distant second between the rest of the manufacturers.

I like the Bolt, but people aren't lining up for it, even though it's cheaper and can go good distances. Tesla just has the formula down and it's going to be years before anyone matches it.

Now, the Kia Nero and Hyundai Kona EVs are great efforts in the CUV space, but even there, let Tesla enter that market and it'll be game over for those two, as they won't have the performance or range that the Tesla Model Y will undoubtedly have.

Only one I can see being a legitimate competitor is the Taycan, which will perform great, look great, and still be priced to match. But it's still a year out.

The Model 3 has a huge market to itself still, and hasn't even been released in Europe and Asia. If Tesla keeps going at this rate for the next two years (which is probable) they will have been turning a profit each quarter going forward (just like they did this quarter). Even people going short on TSLA stock are changing their tune.

I don't have a Tesla, nor do I have TSLA stock, but I love seeing an American start up company taking on established players and forcing the industry's hand. And doing much better than Elio or Faraday.
One thing Tesla doesn’t compete well in is price, which will hinder some of their advantage. Even now they’re struggling to actually make a $35k car even with the tax credit that’s about to expire.
What is yet to be determined isn’t necessarily the market share in the EV market, but market share in general. The Model S has been around for 6 years now and has pretty much peaked at around 28k cars per year (the comparably sized and priced E-class sells closer to 50k per year). Remember Tesla isn’t a car division, it’s an entire car company and priced like one. That would be like if Toyota who leads sales in hybrids, only made hybrids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles > Tesla