Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles > Tesla
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 07:37 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,760,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Tesla’s are usually expensive to insure...
Well, so far they've been expensive, low-production cars. Not surprising.

But I'm sure it will be nickel-and-dime to insure the ultrasafe base Model 3.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2018, 08:23 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,373,570 times
I can drive my family in my Model 3 with the assurance that they are in the safest vehicle ever tested.

Old 10-10-2018, 03:48 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,946,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
I can drive my family in my Model 3 with the assurance that they are in the safest vehicle ever tested.
Until it catches fire for no reason.

Admit it, you’re a fanboy. You would drive your family in that thing even if it was a certified death trap.

Old 10-10-2018, 07:50 AM

9,375 posts, read 6,975,888 times
It’s very safe until you get locked in and get cooked alive from a battery fire.

Old 10-10-2018, 09:02 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
I don't think it is the safest because countless accidents the car battery ignited and burns the occupants. ICE cars catch fire too but you have a higher chance of escaping before the fire reaches the fuel line.

Tesla batteries are directly under the car like a mattress. If it ignites you have less than 5 mins to escape or else the entire car becomes an open flame gas grill.

Old 10-10-2018, 10:57 AM

9,419 posts, read 11,166,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
A friend of mine, a real Tesla fan boy, just bought a Model 3. I asked him about car insurance rates, thinking they might be lower for such a safe, well-built car. No, he said. His insurance rate went up.
One reason is that getting them fixed for even minor body damage is a nightmare. Musk is a new kid, he doesn't understand what the people who've been doing this for decades do. Parts.

Parts is parts, and you need them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Tesla’s are usually expensive to insure... https://www.google.com/amp/s/insidee...to-insure/amp/

Old 10-10-2018, 11:01 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,556,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
The truly "safest" car--exclusive of drivers, which of course is impossible to scrub out--will show in the death and injury rates. NOT lab tests. Lab tests are lab tests, they may or may not reflect actual street crash outcomes regarding actual people.

100% accurate. And with that in mind, the true winner as the "safest car of all time", is the Volvo XC90. I'm sure one of you google lords can find it, but there was a news article maybe a year ago that noted the XC90 as the only vehicle with a 100% accident survival rate history when wearing your seat belt. Literally, nobody has ever died from an accident while inside that car when wearing their seat belt. Not a single person. That is truly remarkable. I used to have one (was the biggest pile of crap I've ever owned). It had a reinforced roof of some kind of uber-steel, and there are videos out there of it being rolled down a runway at 60 mph, only to come to a rest with little more than broken mirrors and a heck of a paint job.

Considering the XC90 has been around for what, 15 years or so? I'd have to say that if an XC90 and a Tesla 3 were to crash into each other, my money is squarely on the Volvo, no matter what.

Old 10-10-2018, 11:23 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,548,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
100% accurate. And with that in mind, the true winner as the "safest car of all time", is the Volvo XC90. I'm sure one of you google lords can find it, but there was a news article maybe a year ago that noted the XC90 as the only vehicle with a 100% accident survival rate history when wearing your seat belt. Literally, nobody has ever died from an accident while inside that car when wearing their seat belt. Not a single person. That is truly remarkable. I used to have one (was the biggest pile of crap I've ever owned). It had a reinforced roof of some kind of uber-steel, and there are videos out there of it being rolled down a runway at 60 mph, only to come to a rest with little more than broken mirrors and a heck of a paint job.

Considering the XC90 has been around for what, 15 years or so? I'd have to say that if an XC90 and a Tesla 3 were to crash into each other, my money is squarely on the Volvo, no matter what.
We have a 2016 XC90 (and a Model 3). I believe that zero fatality stat was only for the UK... I haven't come across any global stats. It's still impressive though.

Old 10-10-2018, 12:23 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,624,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
They haven't been tested by the IIHS.

The Model S only got an "acceptable". It didn't fare well at all with the offset crash. The most common kind of crash out there.

Old 10-10-2018, 12:26 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,554,439 times
I doubt you’d be wanting to fit an entire family and child seats in a Model 3 though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles > Tesla