Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles > Tesla
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 01:05 PM

2,175 posts, read 4,298,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
And you're the person who just can't help bashing the car every chance you get even though you have absolutely ZERO experience with them. Your opinion is worthless.

They work better than you say they do, they are built better than you say they are, they are actually producing them even though you said they'd never do it. You're a troll and the worst type of one, a loudmouth boor. EVERYONE know it, so what do you get out of it other then seeing your fake name in lights on this page, Ziggy?
Excellent summation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2018, 06:31 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,943,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
And you're the person who just can't help bashing the car every chance you get even though you have absolutely ZERO experience with them. Your opinion is worthless.

They work better than you say they do, they are built better than you say they are, they are actually producing them even though you said they'd never do it. You're a troll and the worst type of one, a loudmouth boor. EVERYONE know it, so what do you get out of it other then seeing your fake name in lights on this page, Ziggy?
And you still find that you need to get butthurt about it.

Old 12-17-2018, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK123 View Post
Excellent summation.
Took you long enough. You just sitting this one out?

Old 12-18-2018, 09:30 AM

1,222 posts, read 1,048,700 times
Update:

After another week of ownership, here are additional thoughts to consider for anyone who is considering a Tesla Model 3:

Range - Perhaps this is due to my driving habits, but the real world range has been well short of the advertised range. For example, a trip that take 50 miles round trip in actual distance seemingly eats 60-65 miles of range. I drove maybe 70 mph on the freeway with the air conditioner on low, along with some city driving. I'll need a larger sample size to test the range, but so far it has been less than advertised. If you factor in long term battery degradation, you may be better off getting the LR rather than waiting for the standard range (SR will be rated at 220 miles, which may mean more like 175 miles in real world conditions with a little margin to prevent range anxiety).

Ride Quality - This is one area where the car has seemingly gotten better after a few hundred miles. Maybe the springs have "settled", but now this is one of the best riding sports sedans I've driven. It takes the edge off bumps very effectively (I have the standard 18 inch wheels).

Fuel Savings - This will vary greatly depending on your local cost of electricity, but in my area I average around $0.20 per Kwh, although I may save some by going with a Time of Use plan with SoCal Edison. For my current tiered rate, the cost to "fuel" the Tesla isn't quite the bargain that many owners on Tesla forums report. I did the math and the cost to "fuel" my tesla is around the same that a Prius owner would pay for similar distances traveled....in other words, still cheap but not super duper cheap. But compared to gasoline cars with similar performance, I'm still spending only half as much to fuel.

Touch Screen - Despite how intuitive the interface is, I still miss having some traditional buttons and knobs. The navigation is extremely user friendly (like using google maps on your smart phone).

Sound System - Some people question the value of the $5k premium upgrade package (understandably) but it comes with the premium sound system. It doesn't carry fancy third party branding like Bang and Olufsen (Audi) and Harman Kardon (BMW) but Tesla's premium sound system is incredible. It seemed more powerful than the Bang and Olufsen system I tested in a loaded Audi A4. I'm no audiophile so take it for what it's worth.

Old 12-18-2018, 09:37 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,571,948 times
Interesting review. Thanks. What is the street price RANGE for the model 3's? Not msrp, but actual price with basic configuration? Maybe I did dismiss EV's too soon. Sounds like a neat car.

Old 12-18-2018, 09:59 AM

Thanks for the update. Sounds much more honest and upfront than I thought this thread would turn out to be.

Old 12-18-2018, 10:56 AM

1,740 posts, read 1,266,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kishac View Post
Range - Perhaps this is due to my driving habits, but the real world range has been well short of the advertised range. For example, a trip that take 50 miles round trip in actual distance seemingly eats 60-65 miles of range. I drove maybe 70 mph on the freeway with the air conditioner on low, along with some city driving. I'll need a larger sample size to test the range, but so far it has been less than advertised. If you factor in long term battery degradation, you may be better off getting the LR rather than waiting for the standard range (SR will be rated at 220 miles, which may mean more like 175 miles in real world conditions with a little margin to prevent range anxiety).
Good feedback overall. For this part a few variables will make a difference. One is range is obviously affected by your speed, if you are going a very steady 70 mph it seems you should get near the rated range, but if you are averaging 70 with periods of 65/75, it will reduce.

Some estimates based on speed in this table: https://teslike.com/range/

What tire/rim combo are you using? That can also make a 5-10% difference.

Other part is sometimes range estimate can get biased over time and not re-calibrate until you do a full charge to 100%. I don't know anything about this though.

Old 12-18-2018, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Thanks for the update. Sounds much more honest and upfront than I thought this thread would turn out to be.
Thanks Ziggy, I try to tell it like it is. Nothing is perfect, and the same applies to EVs.

Old 12-18-2018, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Interesting review. Thanks. What is the street price RANGE for the model 3's? Not msrp, but actual price with basic configuration? Maybe I did dismiss EV's too soon. Sounds like a neat car.

Yes, it's a neat car despite its flaws. If you want the actual price, go to the tesla website. It'll go from around $47k for a basic mid range to over 65k for a performance model.

Old 12-18-2018, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeApelido View Post
Good feedback overall. For this part a few variables will make a difference. One is range is obviously affected by your speed, if you are going a very steady 70 mph it seems you should get near the rated range, but if you are averaging 70 with periods of 65/75, it will reduce.

Some estimates based on speed in this table: https://teslike.com/range/

What tire/rim combo are you using? That can also make a 5-10% difference.

Other part is sometimes range estimate can get biased over time and not re-calibrate until you do a full charge to 100%. I don't know anything about this though.
I'm using aero wheel with the stock Michelin tires. I took a 50 mile round trip yesterday. There was an elevation increase of around 800 feet, so I brushed off the range consumption for the first trip, thinking there would be very little consumption on the way back home (mostly downhill). However, the way back home still consumed pretty much the real world distance in terms of range (~24 miles). I'm really puzzled, although I think that since the trip was 80% freeway driving, that may have skewed the consumption higher (less regenerative braking).

I'll report back once I have a larger sample size. I'll also try keeping the speed more steady. I did waver a bit from 65/75 throughout the trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles > Tesla