Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles > Tesla
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 02:43 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,944,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
If my doors are locked they cant be opened from the outside.
In an acccident they’re supposed to automatically unlock. Most cars have this feature. With Tesla they have to automatically unlock and drive a motor to pop out the handles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2019, 02:46 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,944,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Could still have been caused by crashing into a tree.... even with cars that have different door handles. Shoving the front end back towards the doors could cause the handles to be jammed.
Maybe, but that’s not an excuse for a door handle gimmick that otherwise adds another level of complexity to the situation. Good luck with the Model X Falcon doors.

Old 02-26-2019, 07:00 AM

9,501 posts, read 9,812,678 times
Lithium-ion batteries are considered a Class B fire, so a standard ABC or BC dry chemical fire extinguisher should be used. Maybe EV car makers should start installing them in vehicles so they spray directly onto the batteries. There is plenty of room in most EV's for a tank or two of CO2 or dry chemical extinguisher.

Old 02-26-2019, 07:07 AM

2,254 posts, read 2,737,417 times
I had a Mercedes SLS AMG for a while that had gull wing doors. In a crash it would explode the door hinges and literally blow the doors off. Glad I never had to take advantage of that feature.

Old 02-26-2019, 07:11 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Wow.
That really sucks.
Poor dude.

I wonder if the bystanders had that tool for breaking windows.
I applaud them for trying to get to him while the thing was catching on fire.

Old 02-26-2019, 07:18 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times
The NHTSA should get involved and make them redesign those door handles.

I saw in a review where one of those Tesla models has windshield wipers that have to be turned on using the touchscreen, which seems unsafe as well. People don’t need to be fumbling around on a computer screen while driving in the rain. It just seems like so much of their stuff is needless gimmicks.

Old 02-26-2019, 07:20 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
The NHTSA should get involved and make them redesign those door handles.

I saw in a review where one of those Tesla models has windshield wipers that have to be turned on using the touchscreen, which seems unsafe as well. People don’t need to be fumbling around on a computer screen while driving in the rain. It just seems like so much of their stuff is needless gimmicks.
I find it hard to believe they are not rain-sensing and merely get adjusted on screen.

Old 02-26-2019, 07:26 AM

1,062 posts, read 980,593 times
Complexity for the sake of complexity-- and why techies shouldn't be designing cars https://autoweek.com/article/technol...r-handle-works

And here I found a thread full of the sentiment you see time after time... "A stupid design is no problem" https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/door-handle-issue

Old 02-26-2019, 07:27 AM

17,619 posts, read 17,656,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Lithium-ion batteries are considered a Class B fire, so a standard ABC or BC dry chemical fire extinguisher should be used. Maybe EV car makers should start installing them in vehicles so they spray directly onto the batteries. There is plenty of room in most EV's for a tank or two of CO2 or dry chemical extinguisher.
Some dry chemical powder extinguishers also have the added benefit of quickly corroding electrical and electronic wiring.

Old 02-26-2019, 07:29 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Even if the doors were not locked, Tesla door handles are recessed and do not open without either sensing a hand which automatically pops out the door handle to operate. If not, the person needs to push the handle to operate to make it work. Which is very inconvenient when it freezes. People have complained that Teslas are designed in CA and not for cold weather. I don't think most people knows how the Tesla door handles work.

I saw that previously and got a good laugh. Obviously it's design flaw as far as the ice but why would that prevent the doors from being opened in this case? I guess i't possible they were mechanically jammed but that isn't something distinct to that design. Even the ice is not necessarily distinct issue but obviously more of possibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles > Tesla