Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles > Tesla
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2020, 12:12 AM

36,881 posts, read 38,781,820 times

Advertisements

The two top line vehicles from Tesla are arguably overdue for a refresh (though I think the Model S with its incremental improvements and price reduction along with the years to work out its kinks has made the current Model S as of 2020 one of the best vehicles for its segment). There are some things that seem transferrable from its lower line of cars like battery systems that are more energy dense and can do at least 250 kW fast charging and a heat pump system from the Model Y that would make heating losses for the battery during cold days to be significantly reduced. More lukewarm changes depending on preference would be the even more minimalist interior with even more controls moved to the center console.

What changes do you think are plausible and a good idea to roll out to the Model S and X within the next couple of years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2020, 07:28 AM

2,174 posts, read 4,260,359 times
I'd like to see them bring back features they took away - options for sunroof and real leather to name two.
Then there's some nice software features they crippled - bring back color maps and fast supercharging.

Old 07-01-2020, 08:37 AM

2,299 posts, read 2,575,558 times
Real leather ain't happening.

Old 07-02-2020, 12:32 AM

6,906 posts, read 3,290,046 times
I had the sunroof - rarely opened it, glass roof was just as good. I would like bigger battery and fast charging (always better). I would like to see them get rid of side mirrors, but regulations need to change to allow. Most of the changes would like to see are interior. For S & X: pockets on back of seats, redesign center console with deeper storage, hvac controls in back, AC power plug, update displays, fold down rear head rests, heat pump, bring back cooling/ventilated seats. For X: Better/bigger visors, rear seat storage, cargo cover. For S: Storage in doors, rear seat armrest.

Old 07-02-2020, 01:59 AM

3,433 posts, read 3,683,900 times
They better come up with new styling. Somebody who pays a minimum of $80k for a car doesn't want it to look the same as the car that came out 10+ years ago.

Old 07-02-2020, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
I had the sunroof - rarely opened it, glass roof was just as good. I would like bigger battery and fast charging (always better). I would like to see them get rid of side mirrors, but regulations need to change to allow. Most of the changes would like to see are interior. For S & X: pockets on back of seats, redesign center console with deeper storage, hvac controls in back, AC power plug, update displays, fold down rear head rests, heat pump, bring back cooling/ventilated seats. For X: Better/bigger visors, rear seat storage, cargo cover. For S: Storage in doors, rear seat armrest.
These sound pretty good, though if they get more energy dense battery packs, I’d like it if they on balance went for a lighter battery pack with things on balance going towards weight savings and the energy savings from that more and only a slight increase of total battery capacity. For example, if they had an energy density increase of 25%, instead of putting all of that towards a raw increase of energy capacity to 500+ mile range, I’d rather it was something like a 10% energy capacity increase, with the rest of the density going towards a lighter battery pack for greater efficiency with a couple hundred pounds shed from the vehicle and hitting a 450-ish range and the miles eked out per kWh charge or miles added per hour of at home charging for the same energy increased. I agree it’s much more the interior that needs a refresh.

One other thing is that I’d like a somewhat larger frunk with the front of that wedge shape squared out a bit and maybe a tiny bit more depth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
They better come up with new styling. Somebody who pays a minimum of $80k for a car doesn't want it to look the same as the car that came out 10+ years ago.
That might make business sense as you say, but I rather like the look of the Model S and hope exterior styling changes are rather minor by personal preference. There are a few car models by other automakers that have closely retained the exterior for a while, so maybe it’s not completely ridiculous.

The Model S is also at 75K for its base Long Range model now. Tesla vehicles except for the Model Y had a price chop fairly recently.

Old 07-02-2020, 11:36 AM

Also, a drop of its base price to $69K. Tesla wanted to drive the idea that it's a BMW 7 series and Mercedes S-Class competitor as its sales numbers are top of that class, but it really is more like an in-between of the those and the BMW 5 series and Mercedes E-Class. Its current price is between those, but more heavily weighted towards the former than the latter. The performance edition, especially with an upcoming tri-motor setup can keep its price though since that would actually be competing against the BMW M5 and its current price is comparable.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 07-02-2020 at 11:48 AM..

Old 09-04-2020, 09:35 AM

A bit of old news, but back in July, Tesla announced a change to the Model S and Model X (slight hardware change) that allowed them to charge at 250 kW so their top charging rates are now in line with the top rates for the Model 3 and Model Y: https://electrek.co/2020/07/12/tesla...g-rate-250-kw/

It's a pretty minor change, but supposedly a much larger update is coming soon-ish that will supposedly involve the three motor Plaid powertrain, new battery modules, and changes to the body for the Model S and Model X. https://electrek.co/2020/07/21/tesla...del-s-model-x/

That'll be exciting as the Model S has been the only Tesla vehicle that's interested me so far. Too bad they haven't made a Model X variant that's a minivan as that's really what I want.

Old 09-05-2020, 05:20 PM

2,174 posts, read 4,260,359 times
I'd like to see improvement in their horrible to non-existent customer service before anything else.

Old 09-07-2020, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK123 View Post
I'd like to see improvement in their horrible to non-existent customer service before anything else.
Have you had some bad experiences? I wonder if it’s location specific because the people I know with Teslas haven’t complained about such, but they’re also in areas that have a lot of people buying Teslas so there’s probably more support infrastructure. I would think that if someone were in a smaller city in a state with very few Tesla sales and EVs in general, it’d probably be pretty rough if something went wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles > Tesla