Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2010, 11:41 PM

19 posts, read 44,556 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I am from Michigan and have tentatively (key word) accepted a job near Del Rio, Texas, paying about $40k a year. I am pretty much debt free. I may still turn the job down but want to be prepared either way to fly out there to look for a place to live..

The move from Michigan to Del Rio will be challenging with the change of culture, scenery and weather, but having recently left the military during which I served mostly overseas, those changes are not a major concern. I have done a fair amount of research on Del Rio and the surrounding area.

The major issue will be finding a suitable place for me (a single guy) and my two big dogs to live. I am interested in renting for my first 6 month to a year. Problems - self-induced - are that I am a country boy who can't stand living in cities (no matter how quiet), who likes his space and who has those two big dogs.

Finding a place with space outside of town may be difficult enough and finding such a place that is rented out may be even more challenging. I will be doing some net research today on rentals and real estate agents, but if anyone has any thoughts, recommendations for rental properties or realtors and other tidbits, I'd really appreciate them.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 05:31 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
Do a search here and you will find lots of answers. Del Rio only has about 15,000 people so it hardly qualifies as a "city." My husband grew up there and my in-laws still live there. Look at the houses near Lake Amistad. You may be able to find what you want there. Even the houses in town have large lots. I will be honest that $40k won't go far when you are looking at renting a house, even in Del Rio...

DO NOT rent in the subdivision across the highway from Fisherman's Headquarters. Although it may have the space you are looking for, it is very close to the Rio Grande and there are problems with people coming across from Mexico and stealing things from the homes, or vandalizing them, then going back across the river. This is an ongoing problem, but a newcomer wouldn't be aware of it. That area is between the two international bridges, and kind of isolated, so the CBP agents don't patrol it as much.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:50 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,873,335 times
Why do you keep telling people that Del Rio has a population of 10-15,000 people?

Del Rio's current population, according to the 2010-2011 Texas Alamanac, is over 36,000, with a Val Verde County population of over 48,000.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:10 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,473,517 times
40k per year for Del Rio is fine. I mean how much do you expect to pay in rent.. Even a nice sized house with a back yard should be around $800-$1000 a month. 40k a year should be about 33k a year take home. $800 x 12 = 9600.. Leaves you well over 20k a year for other expenses. You should be comfortable if you are single. Add a wife and kids and that dramatically affects things. You would need a second income. I am saying all this because I am in a similar situation. I live in McAllen and rent a house as well. I earn a little more per year but not much more. Cost of living should be similar to the RGV which is also on the border. You mentioned you like small towns, well you will have no problems with Del Rio. In fact I hope you like quiet country living because there isn't much to do. If you like fishing/boating and/or hunting that would qualify as something to do in that area. You can use your imagination I'm sure and come up with more things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas