Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 07:28 PM

154 posts, read 629,951 times

Advertisements

Thanks, all for responding (and agreeing with me!) Hubby has a recruiting firm looking at both Austin and Dallas/FW for him, but I am rooting for Austin!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2006, 06:44 PM

2 posts, read 4,825 times
Exclamation moving-- from SC

The typical reply I suppose would be Austin, because of its' super fast growth and city scenes. I live in Corpus Christi, not the worst town for a good family doc, but probably not fast enough, either. We've got the sushi, the Starbucks, it's out of the way of the Metroplex (Dallas) area with ultra-conservative ways.. It's hot right now, but there is a sea breeze. The valley area, McAllen, Harlingen, have a lot of business in the medical fields-- catering to Winter Texans-- good hospitals.
The Denton area, North of Dallas and Ft. Worth also has a nice set of hospitals.
Good Luck in your search.. (I'm a nurse here in town)
Mrs. B.

Old 08-14-2006, 08:58 AM

8 posts, read 76,433 times
Wink Been in Texas all my 54 years..

and have seen most of the state.
Austin the place for you? You bet!
If you're going to live in Texas, Austin area is the place to be, especially with your self-profile. You'd be hard-pressed to find a more laid-back place in the whole country. (Except for the traffic )
Doesn't even have to be Austin proper...LOTS of outlying suburbs with lots of homes on the market...and still have access to the Austin "culture."
Bumper stickers betell Austin's unofficial mottto: "Keep Austin Weird."
Still a pretty highly educated city, though.

[mod cut]

Quote:
Hi all! Hubby and I are looking to relocate from Charleston, SC. We adore New Mexico, but are now looking at Texas for a couple of reasons - the main one being that he's a Family Practice doctor who is already licensed in Texas. It's a HUGE headache to get licensed in another state, and takes months, so Texas is appealing for the ease of the move - plus there's no state income tax.

This is what we are like, warts and all (Sorry for the lengthiness):

We're both in our 40's, highly intelligent, very laid back. Hubby is Italian, but looks latino (with longish hair - Gasp!!). We're moderate-to-liberal politically. Moderate in that we dislike big government, socially liberal in that we think people ought to live like they darn well please and be happy. Narrow-minded people annoy me. Ignorant people annoy me. I read about 2 or three books a week, mostly "literary fiction". He's fond of physics and philosophy. We are sci-fi geeks to some extent. We live in blue jeans and sandals, but like getting dressed up for really fine dining on occasion. Wine is great, red is best. We're eco-conscious but not self-righteously so. We're hip -ish, but dislike that sort of self-conscious trendiness that is to be found in some (*cough - no offense) Californians. We adore Mid-century Modern houses, or the right cool 50's ranch in a pinch. You couldn't pay me to live in a McMansion in a gated community. Poor people don't frighten me. I like "walking" neighborhoods rather than primarily driving neighborhoods. I cannot live where I can't get good coffee, good sushi, or good bookstores. We have two teenagers, one boy one girl, 17 and 15. My daughter is a polite, friendly, respectful, straight A honor student with shocking pink hair and gauged earholes who is vocal in her political opinions.

So.....after all my net research, I'm thinking Austin is the place in Texas we'll best fit, with Dallas coming in second. What say you Texans? Am I right?

Last edited by Yac; 08-14-2006 at 02:24 PM..

Old 08-14-2006, 10:13 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,639,073 times
Default Places to Live in Texas

Here would be your choices:

1st: Austin has smart people, good music, and a great college (UTA). If you choose this city, be sure to live on the West side of I35. You might even look around the nearby Hill Country (Wimberly is nice). A doctor would fit in (I bet they need more doctors in Georgetown retirement community.

2nd: Dallas is definitely bigger, has all the big sports, more shopping areas and more expensive.

3rd: Houston is even bigger than Dallas, but they probably have the best Sushi and other seafood. Also has several sport teams and lots of shopping areas. South of Houston is Galveston..nice city. Downer would be the weather (more humid, rain, and flooding).

Old 08-15-2006, 04:26 PM

1,067 posts, read 5,643,175 times
Since you want the walking aspect, Austin. If you don't mind driving around, then living in the city of Dallas on the hip part of towns such as Kessler Park or White Rock Lake area would be for you. It is more liberal there but know that Dallas is a conservative hub in general. Your daughter too, if she is to attend school private or not, more than likely she would have to change her hair color due to dress codes. We moved from a school district where anything goes for high schoolers to where dress codes here are pretty strict.

Old 08-16-2006, 06:11 PM

154 posts, read 629,951 times
Thanks for all the responses. Hubby got a VERY generous offer via phone interview today from San Antonio. Not high on my list, but the money would be too good to not at least check it out. They're sending some info and a sample contract for us to peruse. I suppose I ought to go over to the SA city board and see what those who live there are saying. We're sort of iffy about SA, but do have the advantage that we could afford to live in one of the "nicer" areas.

I hope like heck that doesn't sound snobby - I don't mean for it to. :-(

Old 08-16-2006, 09:30 PM

1,722 posts, read 2,227,746 times
Why would you be iffy about San Antonio?

In terms of a laid back style of living, San Antonio is number 1 on the list of Texas cities.

Maybe there ar emisconceptions you have about San Antonio, I'd be more than happy to help correct them. Also, I can also give you personal pictures I have taken of the city to give you a feeling of what it's like.

Old 08-16-2006, 09:44 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,991,596 times
While Austin is a nice town,SA would be #1 on my list.I can't think of anything that Austin has that SA doesn't,and a lot that SA has that Austin doesn't.

Old 08-17-2006, 03:59 PM

1,067 posts, read 5,643,175 times
If you consider that area, if The Dominion is close your husbands job, consider in there. It is gorgeous and a very upscale neighborhood. If you live in San Antonio, you won't be bored at all. There is the attractions, caves, beautiful hill country there to camp and hike through. Very scenic.

Old 08-17-2006, 07:39 PM

1,722 posts, read 2,227,746 times
The Dominion is for really really really rich people. Homes average like 2-3 million there.

David Robinson, George Strait, Stone Cold, Thomas Gibson live there and ever Jim Carrey has a home there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas