Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 10:23 PM

1 posts, read 4,318 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking into moving to the Odessa area with friends of ours who want to open a steak house. My husband is a machinist ~ are there jobs available for him? We are looking for an arid climate (my health), cheap real estate and low crime (utopia I guess). Quite frankly we're also looking to get away from the illegals (in Phx it's chaos) ~ we've been hit and run 4 times, broken into, and heckled even though we live in a very swanky part of town. Thank you for any info you give! Michelle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2006, 10:40 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,984,842 times
Quote:
My husband and I are looking into moving to the Odessa area with friends of ours who want to open a steak house.
My condolences.

The forum tells me my post is too short so I guess I will just keep typing until...

Although relative to Phoenix,Odessa may well seem like Utopia,which is actually a few hours southeast of Odessa.

Old 08-08-2006, 01:42 AM

827 posts, read 5,063,000 times
Michelle, I am in Phoenix so I do definitely know what you are going through. Phoenix has become a real bad place to live even in haven areas that Scottsdale and Paradise Valley used to be but not anymore. But PLEASE don't move to Odessa!! It is one of the roughest cities in Texas and is a redneck, hard egded town with all the oil field workers. It is very high in crime. They have a great football team but that is all that is going for it. The area is just plain ugly. Midland is better and where the richer people live in that area but honestly please look elsewhere. I would look in San Angelo, Brownwood, Kerrville, Fredericksburg or Abilene. Kerrville and San Angelo would be my top two. Kerrville's homes can be pricey though but San Angelo is still pretty reasonable. Kerrville, Fredericksburg and Abilene would have the least illegal immigrants. Can't wait to get out of Phoenix myself so I understand you completely about how bad it is in Phoenix and how you can't even go outside. It is not only the heat but also the criminals! Good Luck on your search!

Old 08-08-2006, 08:32 AM

364 posts, read 1,414,007 times
I was born in San Angelo and raised just a short drive from there. I went to college there (Angelo State U.) and still have relatives and many friends there. I really like the town and area. I don't know a lot about Midland/Odessa. I've been there but never spent a lot of time looking around. I would recommend San Angelo, but I am biased (honesty, eh ).

Old 08-09-2006, 11:52 AM

21 posts, read 200,009 times
Default Odessa

I live in the county that Odessa is the county seat.....life long resident.

Your husband can go to work day before yesterday!!!!

Houses have gone up considerably in the past 6 months due to the oilfield work that is going on, but acreage is still available....yes, we have a diverse population and some crime, but some space will help.

The smaller towns....Monahans, Fort Stockton, Crane, etc. are all handy to Odessa and have a small town atmosphere. Fort Stockton is growing fast....with it's, oil and tourism on I10.

Hope you come and join us soon....you will be made welcome

caprockvista

Old 08-22-2006, 02:25 PM

130 posts, read 870,119 times
Look at Andrews Texas. It is probably the best small town in the Odessa/Midland area and is only 32 miles from Odessa. And not to worry about traffic because there is NONE!!
Your hubby will be able to get any job he wants during the oil crisis that is occurring now, but the economy slides drastically when oil prices drop, although I think the cities in west Texas have all been trying to be much more diversified!

Old 08-22-2006, 04:44 PM

65 posts, read 304,606 times
Sorry I cannot say for experience as I do not live in Texas yet! I am visiting El Paso in Dec and in 2 weeks going to SA for 8 nights. Sounds to me EP would fit the bill!

Old 08-25-2006, 01:26 AM

11 posts, read 48,673 times
The oddess/midland area has plenty of work for those that want it, its pretty big for all ones needs. I lived in Andrews Texas for over ten years and really liked the little town. And the People were really nice. I went through there last year on my way to san antonio to visit my son and family, and sadly the best eating spot was closed down and that was buddys, best steak fingers I've ever had. However lots of bussiness did close down since I had lived there but that means you should be able to get cheap housing. When I lived there, I had a two bedroom two bathroom with three acres out on Lolita, past county road three, and my payments were only one twentfive a month. Had we stayed it would have been paid off in only seven years.

Old 08-25-2006, 01:28 AM

11 posts, read 48,673 times
Oh and if you do move, make it a point to go to the Golden China in Midland, the food is fantastic!

Old 08-30-2006, 10:09 PM

9 posts, read 53,677 times
Well, I hate to say it, but I wouldn't move to Odessa if you are looking for no crime, but less crime than Phoenix probably. Midland is a great place to live. The prices of homes has increased, or skyrocketed over the last two years, but the job market is the lowest in the state in the Midland/Odessa area. As someone above said, your husband can go to work yesterday, and you would have no problem finding employment either. The problem is in finding housing. If you are happy with apartment life, then you should be okay until you get here and can find a suitable house in time. The schools and quality of life are definately better in Midland than Odessa. Whatever you do, stay away from the West and South Side of Odessa. Stay away from the South and East side of Midland. Other than that the areas are very nice. We have a very nice community website at (broken link) and our newspaper is www.mywesttexas.com. Good luck and if you have any other questions PM me.

Last edited by Yac; 08-31-2006 at 01:13 PM.. Reason: link removed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas