Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 02:08 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,079,672 times

Advertisements

I like Post, TX too; it seems soulful to me. But it's tiny compared to either Abilene or San Angelo, so it's hard to use as a comparison. I figured it would be über-religious, as most West Texas small towns are, and in a town that small, everyone would know if you weren't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 09:17 AM

6 posts, read 29,709 times
"Not too many people complain about the humidity in the cooler weather." Maybe if they have never spent a winter in the Northeast.

Old 05-11-2011, 10:44 AM

795 posts, read 1,575,881 times
I love San Angelo. Very laid back and it gets very green in the spring and summer months. And it has some nice city parks along the concho river and lake Nasworthy is a good place to go to as well. And the humidity is pretty low and it seems to have less severe weather than most other parts of Texas. Although we do still get our share of storms.

Old 05-11-2011, 12:27 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,916,601 times
San Angelo. Prettier than Abiliene and it's not the world capital of the Church of Christ denomination.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:16 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,148,962 times
Abilene and San Angelo seem like a smaller version of Austin and San Antonio with it being a little over an hour part from each other, one is more humid than the other, and both have different things to do in each city.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:06 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,916,601 times
I'm sorry, but that's absurd to compare San Angelo and Abilene to Austin and San Antonio. Unless you only mean the distance factor.

Old 05-11-2011, 10:42 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,148,962 times
I was only talking about distance and climate. As for things like shoping, museums, restraunts I've heard there are a few more things to do in San Angelo then Abilene if thats true or not. I do agree that Austin & Abilene, San Antonio & San Angelo are not comparable in population & entertainment wise.

Last edited by JoninATX; 05-11-2011 at 10:53 PM..

Old 05-11-2011, 11:47 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,167,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdc1211 View Post
As far as the whole climate issue, the somewhat lower humidity was one factor. But once it hits the upper 90s or hotter, you might as well just say its hot in my opinion.

Another thing, and maybe the statistics are overduing this:

On city-data, it says that the average torando actiivity is 5% above the national average in San Angelo, but Abilene is 118% above the national average. I know the odds of having a direct hit by a tornado are quite rare, but do these numbers indicate that Abilene has a much greater amount of severe storms in general? It is hard to believe that things would vary that much 90 miles apart.

I am nervous about having to look for an apartment in July, because you would expect to be in the company of many college students looking for apartments too. I have learned that the newspapers are not good sources in these cities for apartment listings, at least not their websites. You really need to contact the properties it seems. A publication called "The Renter" has proven very helpful in San Angelo. Any thought on which city might have more vacancies would be appreciated?
I lived in Abilene from the mid 50's to '69. My mom lived there until a couple of years ago. Not sure during that time a tornado ever set down. I did see one, dangling from the clouds over Lake Ft Phantom, for a couple of minutes then it went away. I was in high school at the time. At least far fewer tornadoes than have recently ravaged the country between Texas and the east coast.

As far as those colleges and student fever... those are church related colleges. While they may play music louder than some, they will tend to be more tame than major university frat houses. And their music may tend to be more holy roller music than ear drum buster.

I think San Angelo may be a bit more green than Abilene but I don't think either is pro-growth or success. There just places out there where people go to get away. You're probably not deciding which to prefer, just which to avoid.

Last edited by Willsson; 05-12-2011 at 12:05 AM..

Old 05-11-2011, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
I'm sorry, but that's absurd to compare San Angelo and Abilene to Austin and San Antonio. Unless you only mean the distance factor.
I'd agree that comparison might belong in a Conspiracy and Other Unexplained Abnormalities forum.

Old 05-11-2011, 11:59 PM

San Angelo is on a land mass that is an extension of that same table upon which sits the Austin hill country. Therein you get different weather patterns than that of Abilene. Abilene sits in a depression of the northern edge of that land mass and drops elevation going north and even traveling west, from Fort Worth. Therein the wild variation in the weather between the two. Abilene's water shed travels north to Lake Fort Phantom and on to the Brazos River. San Angelo's Concho River travels south to the Colorado River.

At the northern area of that land is a range of hills through which cattle drives from south Texas would pass. The pass in that range of hills is Buffalo Gap, just south of Abilene. That range of hills is called the Callahan Divide (Callahan County). That divides the Brazos and Colorado rivers water sheds. I've met one of the old Callahans. After passing through the Buffalo Gap, cattle would continue north through what is now Abilene and onward through what is now Lake Fort Phantom Hill. There was at one time a US Calvary fort, Phantom Hill. It didn't last long but some stone chimneys remain. This was told to me by an old gal in Abilene, Bill Tom Compere. Don't know how she got the name but she'd been around a good while, as was the Compere family.

Last edited by Willsson; 05-12-2011 at 12:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas